* [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-02-26 16:27 Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-02-26 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello Plan9 hackers,

I booted up the new raspberry pi I got last week with an SD Card with
the 9pi image from the Labs website. I realised that my monitor
doesn't have an HDMI input and only DVI, VGA and DisplayPort, so
instead, I connected the little board to my 32" TV and the glenda
appeared within 2-3 seconds, the fastest bootup I have ever seen! I
could see that the rc script gets executed and acme appears.

But my USB mouse won't get recognized by Plan9. I tried two different
USB mouse and both of them didn't talk to plan9. Is there a way I can
see any logs in the kernel (like the /var/log/kern.log in the linux
kernel) to see what exactly happened? I will also try a DVI->HDMI
cable tomorrow to see if it can talk to my monitor.

Richard, thanks a lot for your work. I feel the same excitement that I
had when I first got my 486DX66 based PC with 4MB of ram to bootup
GNU/Linux around 1996.

--
  Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-02-26 17:19 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-02-26 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> But my USB mouse won't get recognized by Plan9. I tried two different
> USB mouse and both of them didn't talk to plan9. Is there a way I can
> see any logs in the kernel (like the /var/log/kern.log in the linux
> kernel) to see what exactly happened?

Assuming your keyboard is recognised so you can type, try this;

1. Boot with the mouse unplugged.
2. In glenda's rio terminal window (you can use the down-arrow to get to the
bottom, or just start typing), run
    kill rio | rc
to get to a full-screen console.
3. To get debugging output for usb keyboard+mouse, enter this
    echo kbargs -d >/dev/usbdctl
(use more than one -d for more verbose debugging).
4. Plug in the mouse and see if there are helpful error messages.

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-02-26 17:22 ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-02-26 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 9:57 PM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
<vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Plan9 hackers,
>
> I booted up the new raspberry pi I got last week with an SD Card with
> the 9pi image from the Labs website. I realised that my monitor
> doesn't have an HDMI input and only DVI, VGA and DisplayPort, so
> instead, I connected the little board to my 32" TV and the glenda
> appeared within 2-3 seconds, the fastest bootup I have ever seen! I
> could see that the rc script gets executed and acme appears.
>
> But my USB mouse won't get recognized by Plan9. I tried two different
> USB mouse and both of them didn't talk to plan9. Is there a way I can
> see any logs in the kernel (like the /var/log/kern.log in the linux
> kernel) to see what exactly happened? I will also try a DVI->HDMI
> cable tomorrow to see if it can talk to my monitor.

I found some previous discussion about the topic here:
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.os.plan9/bpd6snmwJAk/Vxsr24BdO7wJ>

I will try these out tomorrow.

--

@ 2014-02-27 16:27   ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-02-27 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:49 PM, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
>> But my USB mouse won't get recognized by Plan9. I tried two different
>> USB mouse and both of them didn't talk to plan9. Is there a way I can
>> see any logs in the kernel (like the /var/log/kern.log in the linux
>> kernel) to see what exactly happened?
>
> Assuming your keyboard is recognised so you can type, try this;

I just connected everything again. My keyboard is not recognised
either. :( I don't have another keyboard at the moment to try. I tried
an HDMI to DVI-D cable with my monitor and that didn't work either. I
have powered it over USB from my laptop. I am wondering if I should
try a powered USB hub instead.

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-02-27 16:35     ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-02-27 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:57 PM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
<vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:49 PM, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
>>> But my USB mouse won't get recognized by Plan9. I tried two different
>>> USB mouse and both of them didn't talk to plan9. Is there a way I can
>>> see any logs in the kernel (like the /var/log/kern.log in the linux
>>> kernel) to see what exactly happened?
>>
>> Assuming your keyboard is recognised so you can type, try this;
>
> I just connected everything again. My keyboard is not recognised
> either. :( I don't have another keyboard at the moment to try. I tried
> an HDMI to DVI-D cable with my monitor and that didn't work either. I
> have powered it over USB from my laptop. I am wondering if I should
> try a powered USB hub instead.

Also, for the record, it is a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 and a
IBM Model M clone mechanical keyboard (made by an Indian company
called TVS-E).

--

@ 2014-02-27 17:05       ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-02-27 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:05 PM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
<vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:57 PM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
> <vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Assuming your keyboard is recognised so you can type, try this;
>>
>> I just connected everything again. My keyboard is not recognised
>> either. :( I don't have another keyboard at the moment to try. I tried
>> an HDMI to DVI-D cable with my monitor and that didn't work either. I
>> have powered it over USB from my laptop. I am wondering if I should
>> try a powered USB hub instead.
>
> Also, for the record, it is a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 and a
> IBM Model M clone mechanical keyboard (made by an Indian company
> called TVS-E).

I tried a USB hub (not a powered one though) and it hangs after
printing the following lines:

[...]
usb/hub... usb/ether...
etherusb smsc: b827ebf340cd

--

@ 2014-02-27 17:08         ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2014-02-27 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Feb 27, 2014, at 9:05 AM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried a USB hub (not a powered one though) and it hangs after
> printing the following lines:

Always use a powered hub with the Pi – it can't supply bugger all for power out its USB ports.

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-02-27 17:10         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-27 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I tried a USB hub (not a powered one though) and it hangs after
> printing the following lines:

i'd recommend using a powered hub.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-02-27 17:15       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2014-02-27 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

FWIW I have a Dell keyboard (kb1421), and an IBM/Lenovo mouse (m-u0013-o) and
they work fine on my Pi.

You are connecting them directly to the PI aren't you? - if you want to use a USB hub
it must be a powered one it seems - the Pi can supply very little current on its
USB interface.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-02-27 17:31           ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-02-27 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2014, at 9:05 AM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried a USB hub (not a powered one though) and it hangs after
>> printing the following lines:
>
> Always use a powered hub with the Pi – it can't supply bugger all for power out its USB ports.

Thank you Lyndon, Steve and Erik. I will try a powered hub tomorrow
and also get another keyboard/mouse. I also found a previous
discussion about the USB keyboard/mouse support in Plan9 here:

 <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.os.plan9/fhAWlpd2NVs>

--

@ 2014-02-27 18:03             ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2014-02-27 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 23:01:39 +0530 Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrot=
> e:
> >
> > On Feb 27, 2014, at 9:05 AM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <vu3rdd@gmail.com=
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I tried a USB hub (not a powered one though) and it hangs after
> >> printing the following lines:
> >
> > Always use a powered hub with the Pi =E2=80=93 it can't supply bugger all=
>  for power out its USB ports.
>
> Thank you Lyndon, Steve and Erik. I will try a powered hub tomorrow
> and also get another keyboard/mouse. I also found a previous
> discussion about the USB keyboard/mouse support in Plan9 here:
>
>  <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.os.plan9/fhAWlpd2NVs>

Couple other hints:
- try bringing up Raspbian first to weed out the usual newbie
  problems with the help of the RasPi forum. If it doesn't run
  reliably, most likely plan9 won't either. And now you can do
  lsusb -v to see/report details of the connected USB devices.

- Get an inexpensive 3.3v UART to USB adapter. This allows you
  to hook Raspbi's serial console to another machine. On linux
  you can use mincom or equivalent to connect to the Raspi.
  This is very handy for debugging.

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-02-28  4:31   ` Grant Mather
From: Grant Mather @ 2014-02-28  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This probably won't help, but what happened when I installed Plan 9 onto
my Raspberry Pi, is the mouse worked but not the keyboard. So I ended up
going to store and buying the cheapest keyboard that I could find. I
plugged in the keyboard and it worked. It wasn't a power issue because
Linux worked with the previous keyboard/mouse combo. I then configured
the system as a cpu/fs/auth server so I don't have to worry about
keyboard or mouse anymore :)

Regardless, my solution was just trying different combinations of mouse
and keyboard until I found one that would work, your mileage may vary.
Hope this helps,

Grant

@ 2014-02-28  9:05     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-28  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Feb 27 23:32:49 EST 2014, hcaulfield57@gmail.com wrote:
> This probably won't help, but what happened when I installed Plan 9 onto
> my Raspberry Pi, is the mouse worked but not the keyboard. So I ended up
> going to store and buying the cheapest keyboard that I could find. I
> plugged in the keyboard and it worked. It wasn't a power issue because
> Linux worked with the previous keyboard/mouse combo. I then configured
> the system as a cpu/fs/auth server so I don't have to worry about
> keyboard or mouse anymore :)
>
> Regardless, my solution was just trying different combinations of mouse
> and keyboard until I found one that would work, your mileage may vary.
> Hope this helps,

that sounds worse than my experience.  i have maybe 5-6 keyboards
and they all work with the pi.  i wonder if this isn't due to some
small descriptor handling changes in 9atom.  you can try them out
by copying the source from 9atom.org

	cd
	hget http://ftp.9atom.org/other/usbd.arm > usbd.test
	bind usbd.test /arm/bin/usb/usbd
	cd /sys/src/9/bcm
	mk clean; mk;
	diskparts; mount /dev/sdM0/dos /n/9fat	# from memory.  no pi here.
	cp 9pi /n/9fat				# from memory.  no pi here.

you can make this safer by duplicating the pi sd card first, then
replacing the kernel.  or, naming the kernel something else on
the sd card and editing CONFIG.TXT to match.  then you
can fix with any old machine.

- erik

; 9diff *
/n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/usb/lib/dev.c:205,217 - dev.c:205,222
  loaddevstr(Dev *d, int sid)
  {
  	uchar buf[128];
- 	int type;
- 	int nr;
+ 	int type, langid, nr;

  	if(sid == 0)
  		return estrdup("none");
  	type = Rd2h|Rstd|Rdev;
- 	nr=usbcmd(d, type, Rgetdesc, Dstr<<8|sid, 0, buf, sizeof(buf));
+ 	nr = usbcmd(d, type, Rgetdesc, Dstr<<8|sid, 0, buf, sizeof(buf));
+ 	if(nr < 4)
+ 		langid = 0x0409;		/* english */
+ 	else
+ 		langid = buf[3]<<8 | buf[2];
+ 	nr = usbcmd(d, type, Rgetdesc, Dstr<<8|sid, langid, buf, sizeof(buf));
+
  	return mkstr(buf, nr);
  }

/n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/usb/lib/dev.c:228,233 - dev.c:233,245
  	memset(buf, 0, Ddevlen);
  	if((nr=usbcmd(d, type, Rgetdesc, Ddev<<8|0, 0, buf, nr)) < 0)
  		return -1;
+ 	if(nr == 17){
+ 		print("%s: langid %.4ux\n", argv0, buf[3]<<8|buf[2]);
+ 		if((nr = usbcmd(d, type, Rgetdesc, Ddev<<8|0, buf[3]<<8|buf[2], buf, 18)) < 0)
+ 			return -1;
+ 		print("%s: nr = %d; buf[%d] = %.2ux\n", argv0, nr, nr, buf[nr]);
+ 	}
+
  	/*
  	 * Several hubs are returning descriptors of 17 bytes, not 18.
  	 * We accept them and leave number of configurations as zero.
/n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/usb/lib/dev.c:234,241 - dev.c:246,253
  	 * (a get configuration descriptor also fails for them!)
  	 */
  	if(nr < Ddevlen){
- 		print("%s: %s: warning: device with short descriptor\n",
- 			argv0, d->dir);
+ 		print("%s: %s: warning: device with short descriptor: %d bytes\n",
+ 			argv0, d->dir, nr);
  		if(nr < Ddevlen-1){
  			werrstr("short device descriptor (%d bytes)", nr);
  			return -1;
/n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/usb/lib/dev.c:254,259 - dev.c:266,273
  			d->usb->serial = loaddevstr(d, d->usb->ssid);
  		}
  	}
+ 	else
+ 		print("usbd: desc error: %r");
  	return nr;
  }

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-02-28 11:10             ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-02-28 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Okay, I tried another keyboard/mouse (Logitech Classic New Touch
keyboard) and a Logitech mouse (Logitech RX300) and they didn't work.
When I connect keyboard alone, the booting proceeded and I got the
acme screen. But the keyboard didn't work. When I connect keyboard and
mouse, booting is stuck at the same place as yesterday: "etherusb
smsc: b827ebf340cd".

--

@ 2014-02-28 11:28               ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-02-28 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> When I connect keyboard and
> mouse, booting is stuck at the same place as yesterday: "etherusb
> smsc: b827ebf340cd".

Try adding 'kbargs=-d' to your cmdline.txt and see if anything is revealed.

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-02-28 14:12                 ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-02-28 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
>> When I connect keyboard and
>> mouse, booting is stuck at the same place as yesterday: "etherusb
>> smsc: b827ebf340cd".
>
> Try adding 'kbargs=-d' to your cmdline.txt and see if anything is revealed.

I added the above expression in cmdline.txt:

When mouse+keyboard is connected, it shows this:

#u/usb/ep1.0: dwcotg: port 0x0 irq 9
#l0: usb: 100Mbps port 0x0 irq -1: 000000000..00
496M memory: 101M kernel data, 395M user, 1877M swap
usb/hub... usb/ether...
etherusb smsc: ...
usb/kb...

and it hangs.

When I connect only the keyboard, it goes past this screen, but I
can't read it, it was too fast for me to read.

Thanks.
--

@ 2014-02-28 14:35                   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2014-02-28 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> When mouse+keyboard is connected, it shows this:

> #u/usb/ep1.0: dwcotg: port 0x0 irq 9
> #l0: usb: 100Mbps port 0x0 irq -1: 000000000..00
> 496M memory: 101M kernel data, 395M user, 1877M swap
> usb/hub... usb/ether...
> etherusb smsc: ...
> usb/kb...
>
> and it hangs.
>
> When I connect only the keyboard, it goes past this screen, but I
> can't read it, it was too fast for me to read.

This seems like a power problem. If you're using the USB port of a computer to power the RasPi, it is not going to provide enough current. Use a supply that can provide an amp or more such as an apple iPhone charger (or a powered USB hub). Check out the FAQ and newbie forums at the raspberrypi site. This is also why you should try bringing up raspbian first.

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-02-28 14:45             ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2014-02-28 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Feb 27, 2014, at 12:31, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Always use a powered hub with the Pi – it can't supply bugger all for power out its USB ports.
>
> Thank you Lyndon, Steve and Erik. I will try a powered hub tomorrow
> and also get another keyboard/mouse.

Based on my own experience with USB weirdness with the Pi, I still suspect power issues. How are you powering the Pi itself? Using a 1 amp supply yielded problems, regardless of the sort of hub I had, which all went away when I switched to a 2 amp supply. I'm told the second generation of these boards are a bit better on that regard, but I don't have any to test.

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-02-28 15:12                     ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-02-28 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com> wrote:

>> When mouse+keyboard is connected, it shows this:

>> #u/usb/ep1.0: dwcotg: port 0x0 irq 9
>> #l0: usb: 100Mbps port 0x0 irq -1: 000000000..00
>> 496M memory: 101M kernel data, 395M user, 1877M swap
>> usb/hub... usb/ether...
>> etherusb smsc: ...
>> usb/kb...
>>
>> and it hangs.
>>
>> When I connect only the keyboard, it goes past this screen, but I
>> can't read it, it was too fast for me to read.
>
> This seems like a power problem. If you're using the USB port of a computer to power the RasPi, it is not going to provide enough current. Use a supply that can provide an amp or more such as an apple iPhone charger (or a powered USB hub). Check out the FAQ and newbie forums at the raspberrypi site. This is also why you should try bringing up raspbian first.

Thank you Bakul. I am downloading Raspbian distro now. I guess USB
hosts need not provide more than 100mA is it is not enumerated (and
500mA once enumerated). I will try my cell phone charger with RPi +
Rasbian.

--

@ 2014-02-28 15:15               ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-02-28 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM, Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2014, at 12:31, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Always use a powered hub with the Pi – it can't supply bugger all for power out its USB ports.
>>
>> Thank you Lyndon, Steve and Erik. I will try a powered hub tomorrow
>> and also get another keyboard/mouse.
>
> Based on my own experience with USB weirdness with the Pi, I still suspect power issues. How are you powering the Pi itself? Using a 1 amp supply yielded problems, regardless of the sort of hub I had, which all went away when I switched to a 2 amp supply. I'm told the second generation of these boards are a bit better on that regard, but I don't have any to test.

I have the model B (which is the newer one, I believe). I am currently
powering them with a USB cable connected to a MacBook. I will take RPi
to work on monday and try powering it from a lab power supply. I don't
have a 2A supply here at home at the moment.

--

@ 2014-02-28 16:24               ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2014-02-28 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 09:45:42 EST Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:

> Based on my own experience with USB weirdness with the Pi, I still suspec
> power issues. How are you powering the Pi itself? Using a 1 amp supply yielded
> problems, regardless of the sort of hub I had, which all went away when I
> switched to a 2 amp supply. I'm told the second generation of these boards are
> a bit better on that regard, but I don't have any to test.

The RasPi FAQ suggest 1.2A or more. In rev 2 they replaced two
current limiting polyfuses with shunts so you can use a a
powered hub or connect periphs requiring > 100mA.

The RasPi wastes a lot of power. Its processor require 1.8V
and only the USB requires 5V.  For battery powered use people
have tried a number of tricks to reduce power use: replace the
onboard linear reg. with a switcher or two, tie 5V + 3.3V
together and only use a USB periphs that runs on 3.3V & use
model A Raspi -- the ethernet chip on model B draws a lot of
power even when idle and you don't need it for wifi.
Apparently Ralink RT5370 basedt cheapo wifi dongles can run on
3.3V.

For robotics use we need a usb wifi driver!

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-03-04 14:12                 ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-03-04 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 9:54 PM, Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 09:45:42 EST Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:
>>
>> Based on my own experience with USB weirdness with the Pi, I still suspec
>> power issues. How are you powering the Pi itself? Using a 1 amp supply yielded
>> problems, regardless of the sort of hub I had, which all went away when I
>> switched to a 2 amp supply. I'm told the second generation of these boards are
>> a bit better on that regard, but I don't have any to test.
>
> The RasPi FAQ suggest 1.2A or more. In rev 2 they replaced two
> current limiting polyfuses with shunts so you can use a a
> powered hub or connect periphs requiring > 100mA.
>
> The RasPi wastes a lot of power. Its processor require 1.8V
> and only the USB requires 5V.  For battery powered use people
> have tried a number of tricks to reduce power use: replace the
> onboard linear reg. with a switcher or two, tie 5V + 3.3V
> together and only use a USB periphs that runs on 3.3V & use
> model A Raspi -- the ethernet chip on model B draws a lot of
> power even when idle and you don't need it for wifi.
> Apparently Ralink RT5370 basedt cheapo wifi dongles can run on
> 3.3V.

Okay, I tried a powered hub. Now, it boots with both keyboard and
mouse (previously it used to hang when I connect both keyboard and
mouse). But still the keyboard and mouse are not recognized. Once I
saw a "warning" message that the descriptor length is short. But when
I rebooted, I didn't see that message.

Well, I now have a plan9 installation under qemu (compiled from the
git sources, as I couldn't boot the one shipped with Debian unstable).
If there is something I can try and test to help out with usb, I will
gladly help.

Thanks
Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-03-04 14:27                   ` erik quanstrom
                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-04 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Okay, I tried a powered hub. Now, it boots with both keyboard and
> mouse (previously it used to hang when I connect both keyboard and
> mouse). But still the keyboard and mouse are not recognized. Once I
> saw a "warning" message that the descriptor length is short. But when
> I rebooted, I didn't see that message.

i think one of the issues behind this was debugged yesterday.
usbshortdesc (/n/sources/patch/usbshortdesc) has been submitted.
richard may have improvements, but this should eliminate this
issue.

cinap has verified that requesting the correct length doesn't
cause any issues.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-03-04 15:54                     ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-03-04 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> Okay, I tried a powered hub. Now, it boots with both keyboard and
>> mouse (previously it used to hang when I connect both keyboard and
>> mouse). But still the keyboard and mouse are not recognized. Once I
>> saw a "warning" message that the descriptor length is short. But when
>> I rebooted, I didn't see that message.
>
> i think one of the issues behind this was debugged yesterday.
> usbshortdesc (/n/sources/patch/usbshortdesc) has been submitted.
> richard may have improvements, but this should eliminate this
> issue.

Sorry if this question is dumb: How can I build a 9pi image with this
patch and test? Can someone create a 9pi image for me to test?

--

@ 2014-03-04 16:26                       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-04 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Mar  4 10:56:33 EST 2014, vu3rdd@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> >> Okay, I tried a powered hub. Now, it boots with both keyboard and
> >> mouse (previously it used to hang when I connect both keyboard and
> >> mouse). But still the keyboard and mouse are not recognized. Once I
> >> saw a "warning" message that the descriptor length is short. But when
> >> I rebooted, I didn't see that message.
> >
> > i think one of the issues behind this was debugged yesterday.
> > usbshortdesc (/n/sources/patch/usbshortdesc) has been submitted.
> > richard may have improvements, but this should eliminate this
> > issue.
>
> Sorry if this question is dumb: How can I build a 9pi image with this
> patch and test? Can someone create a 9pi image for me to test?

not dumb.  but you don't really need to create a whole new image.
i'm typing this on the fly, so i hope there are no errors.  :-)

first, apply the patch to the source, then build all of usb

	9fs sources
	cd /sys/src/cmd/usb/lib
	cp /n/sources/patch/usbshortdesc/dev.c dev.c
	cd ..
	mk install

then, build a new kernel

	cd /sys/src/cmd/bcm; mk

i believe you can give it a quick test by doing a hot reboot.

	fshalt -r ./9pi

if you'd like to install the new kernel on the flash, then

	dossrv
	mount /srv/dos /n/9fat /dev/sdM0/dos
	cd /n/9fat
	cp 9pi 9pi-dist
	cp /sys/src/9/bcm/9pi 9pi-usbfix
	cp 9pi-usbfix 9pi

and reboot.  if this doesn't work out, you can rescue yourself
by using anything that understands fat and replacing 9pi
with the contents of 9pi-dist.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-03-04 18:18                         ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2014-03-04 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 11:26:31 EST erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> first, apply the patch to the source, then build all of usb
>
> 	9fs sources
> 	cd /sys/src/cmd/usb/lib
> 	cp /n/sources/patch/usbshortdesc/dev.c dev.c
> 	cd ..
> 	mk install
>
> then, build a new kernel
>
> 	cd /sys/src/cmd/bcm; mk
>
> i believe you can give it a quick test by doing a hot reboot.
>
> 	fshalt -r ./9pi
>
> if you'd like to install the new kernel on the flash, then
>
> 	dossrv
> 	mount /srv/dos /n/9fat /dev/sdM0/dos
> 	cd /n/9fat
> 	cp 9pi 9pi-dist
> 	cp /sys/src/9/bcm/9pi 9pi-usbfix
> 	cp 9pi-usbfix 9pi
>
> and reboot.  if this doesn't work out, you can rescue yourself
> by using anything that understands fat and replacing 9pi
> with the contents of 9pi-dist.

IIRC Ramakrishnan doesn't have a working 9pi system.

I put 9pi with this patch in contrib/bakul on sources. It was
cross-built on a 386 VM with a pull done this morning + the
above patch. I had to rebuild the host 5c due to rune related
errors so I am not 100% certain this will work (I probably
should've done a full rebuild of the host binaries too).

He should be able to mount the dos partition on another
machine and replace 9pi on it.

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-03-04 18:26                           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-04 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> IIRC Ramakrishnan doesn't have a working 9pi system.
>
> I put 9pi with this patch in contrib/bakul on sources. It was
> cross-built on a 386 VM with a pull done this morning + the
> above patch. I had to rebuild the host 5c due to rune related
> errors so I am not 100% certain this will work (I probably
> should've done a full rebuild of the host binaries too).

should work, if the linker didn't complain.  rebuilding applications
is not critical, but rebuilding the libraries and compiler is.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-03-05 10:57                     ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-03-05 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry, my suggested correction is still wrong. b[0] is the length of
the whole descriptor not the length of the string.  So I suggest this
(I tested it on exactly one device) -

static char*
mkstr(uchar *b, int n)
{
	Rune r;
	char *us;
	char *s;
	char *e;

	if(n <= 2 || b[0] > n || (b[0] & 1) != 0)
		return strdup("none");
	n = (b[0] - 2)/2;
	b += 2;

Or according to taste, one could do this (not tested) -

static char*
mkstr(uchar *b, int n)
{
	Rune r;
	char *us;
	char *s;
	char *e;

	if(n > b[0])
		n = b[0];
	if(n <= 2 || (n & 1) != 0)
		return strdup("none");
	n = (n - 2)/2;
	b += 2;

I'm not sure which I prefer.  They are semantically slightly different
(if one of b[0] or n is odd).

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-03-05 10:59                     ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-03-05 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Apologies for last message, it was meant to be directed to quanstro@quanstro.net
as part of a conversation.  Please ignore.

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-03-08 14:56                           ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-03-08 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 11:48 PM, Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 11:26:31 EST erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>>
>> first, apply the patch to the source, then build all of usb
>>
>>       9fs sources
>>       cd /sys/src/cmd/usb/lib
>>       cp /n/sources/patch/usbshortdesc/dev.c dev.c
>>       cd ..
>>       mk install
>>
>> then, build a new kernel
>>
>>       cd /sys/src/cmd/bcm; mk
>>
>> i believe you can give it a quick test by doing a hot reboot.
>>
>>       fshalt -r ./9pi
>>
>> if you'd like to install the new kernel on the flash, then
>>
>>       dossrv
>>       mount /srv/dos /n/9fat /dev/sdM0/dos
>>       cd /n/9fat
>>       cp 9pi 9pi-dist
>>       cp /sys/src/9/bcm/9pi 9pi-usbfix
>>       cp 9pi-usbfix 9pi
>>
>> and reboot.  if this doesn't work out, you can rescue yourself
>> by using anything that understands fat and replacing 9pi
>> with the contents of 9pi-dist.
>
> IIRC Ramakrishnan doesn't have a working 9pi system.
>
> I put 9pi with this patch in contrib/bakul on sources. It was
> cross-built on a 386 VM with a pull done this morning + the
> above patch. I had to rebuild the host 5c due to rune related
> errors so I am not 100% certain this will work (I probably
> should've done a full rebuild of the host binaries too).
>
> He should be able to mount the dos partition on another
> machine and replace 9pi on it.

Thanks, I downloaded the 9pi file (~2MB, MD5 -
4e4e18980d8ac91b0e8ed5aa820dc429) from contrib/bakul directory.

I could boot the R-Pi with this kernel and get the kb and mouse
working fine! Thanks a lot to everyone! One of the mice I had (a very
cheap, small mouse) didn't work though. Nevertheless, I am very happy
that it is all working now and have something to play with.

A big thanks again.
--

@ 2014-03-08 14:59                             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-08 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Thanks, I downloaded the 9pi file (~2MB, MD5 -
> 4e4e18980d8ac91b0e8ed5aa820dc429) from contrib/bakul directory.
>
> I could boot the R-Pi with this kernel and get the kb and mouse
> working fine! Thanks a lot to everyone! One of the mice I had (a very
> cheap, small mouse) didn't work though. Nevertheless, I am very happy
> that it is all working now and have something to play with.
>
> A big thanks again.

good to hear!

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-03-09 13:25                               ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-03-09 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 8:29 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> Thanks, I downloaded the 9pi file (~2MB, MD5 -
>> 4e4e18980d8ac91b0e8ed5aa820dc429) from contrib/bakul directory.
>>
>> I could boot the R-Pi with this kernel and get the kb and mouse
>> working fine! Thanks a lot to everyone! One of the mice I had (a very
>> cheap, small mouse) didn't work though. Nevertheless, I am very happy
>> that it is all working now and have something to play with.
>>
>> A big thanks again.
>
> good to hear!

Thank you  Erik. Today I got hold of an HDMI to DVI cable and hooked
it to the Pi and my DVI monitor sitting somewhere near my router.
After booting up, just doing a 'ip/ipconfig' and 'ndb/dns -r' got me
into the network. :)

I plan to use this setup as my main computing setup for as long as I
can, to learn more about the plan9 system.

--

@ 2014-03-09 13:46                                 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-09 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Thank you  Erik. Today I got hold of an HDMI to DVI cable and hooked
> it to the Pi and my DVI monitor sitting somewhere near my router.
> After booting up, just doing a 'ip/ipconfig' and 'ndb/dns -r' got me
> into the network. :)
>
> I plan to use this setup as my main computing setup for as long as I
> can, to learn more about the plan9 system.

you're welcome.  excellent.  enjoy!

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-03-03 13:39     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-03 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> /n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/usb/lib/dev.c:228,233 - dev.c:233,245
>         memset(buf, 0, Ddevlen);
>         if((nr=usbcmd(d, type, Rgetdesc, Ddev<<8|0, 0, buf, nr)) < 0)
>                 return -1;
> +       if(nr == 17){
> +               print("%s: langid %.4ux\n", argv0, buf[3]<<8|buf[2]);
> +               if((nr = usbcmd(d, type, Rgetdesc, Ddev<<8|0, buf[3]<<8|buf[2], buf, 18)) < 0)
> +                       return -1;
> +               print("%s: nr = %d; buf[%d] = %.2ux\n", argv0, nr, nr, buf[nr]);
> +       }
> +
>
> This is in function loaddevdesc which loads a device descriptor, not a
> string descriptor.  The device descriptor doesn't have a language id
> in offset 2:3, it has bcdUSB and bDeviceClass in those fields.  And
> the specification for the Rgetdesc command says "the wIndex field
> specifies the LanguageID for string descriptors or is reset to zero
> for other descriptors".

you're right.  looks like sloppy junk copied in mindlessly.

it seems that asking for exactly 18 bytes is enough.
i wonder if this will work for all devices.  it does work for all
the ones i've got.

/n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/usb/lib/dev.c:218,224 - dev.c:223,229
  int
  loaddevdesc(Dev *d)
  {
- 	uchar buf[Ddevlen+255];
+ 	uchar buf[Ddevlen];
  	int nr;
  	int type;
  	Ep *ep0;
/n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/usb/lib/dev.c:226,245 - dev.c:231,241
  	type = Rd2h|Rstd|Rdev;
  	nr = sizeof(buf);
  	memset(buf, 0, Ddevlen);
- 	if((nr=usbcmd(d, type, Rgetdesc, Ddev<<8|0, 0, buf, nr)) < 0)
+ 	if((nr = usbcmd(d, type, Rgetdesc, Ddev<<8|0, 0, buf, Ddevlen)) < 0)
  		return -1;
- 	/*
- 	 * Several hubs are returning descriptors of 17 bytes, not 18.
- 	 * We accept them and leave number of configurations as zero.
- 	 * (a get configuration descriptor also fails for them!)
- 	 */
  	if(nr < Ddevlen){
- 		print("%s: %s: warning: device with short descriptor\n",
- 			argv0, d->dir);
- 		if(nr < Ddevlen-1){
- 			werrstr("short device descriptor (%d bytes)", nr);
- 			return -1;
- 		}
+ 		werrstr("short device descriptor (%d bytes)", nr);
+ 		return -1;
  	}
  	d->usb = emallocz(sizeof(Usbdev), 1);
  	ep0 = mkep(d->usb, 0);

interestingly, on the pc i plugged the imac keyboard into,
usb/kb hung.  this is the kernel stack even *after* pulling
the keyboard.

acid; stk()
sleep(r=0xf0daba30,arg=0xf0d55680,f=0xf013fc71)+0x16a /sys/src/nix/port/proc.c:928
epiowait(io=0xf0dab9e0,hp=0xf0d4d6b0,tmout=0x0,load=0x11)+0x37e /sys/src/nix/port/usbehci.c:2289
epio(io=0xf0dab9e0,ep=0xf0dab720,count=0x8,a=0x442917,mustlock=0x1)+0x38e /sys/src/nix/port/usbehci.c:2423
epread(ep=0xf0dab720,count=0x8,a=0x442917)+0x16f /sys/src/nix/port/usbehci.c:2534
usbread(c=0xf0dab840,a=0x442917,n=0x8,offset=0x0)+0x17d /sys/src/nix/port/devusb.c:1070
read(list=0xf056be24,ispread=0x0)+0x269 /sys/src/nix/port/sysfile.c:745
syspread(ar0=0xf0dafa90,list=0xf056be04)+0x1c /sys/src/nix/port/sysfile.c:766
syscall(scallnr=0x32,ureg=0xf0dafad8)+0x22e /sys/src/nix/k10/syscall.c:273
syscallreturn()+0x0 /sys/src/nix/k10/l64syscall.s:52

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-03-03 11:24   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-03-03 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> old iMac usb keyboard c. 2001
>> Apple 'Pro' keyboard, c. 2004
>
> these two work for me using the modifications here:
> 	http://9fans.net/archive/2014/02/202
> setting the langid is critical for some keyboards.

Looking at the patch in that 9fans.net posting, I am puzzled.

@ 2014-03-03 11:05           ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-03-03 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> after looking over the spec, i didn't see this question addressed.  do you?
> it's a byte, so in theory there could be 255 configurations.

Section 9.6 on device descriptors - this applies to every device,
not just hubs.  (Although the iMac keyboard does in fact contain
a hub.)

Yes of course there can be up to 255 configurations.  In practice
there won't, but the word "bug" in the error message hints that the
programmer was aware that it was not particularly good practice to
declare a fixed size array instead of looking at bNumConfigurations
and allocating an array of the correct size.

A large part of the reason the usb keyboard/mouse driver has generated
so much embarrassment is that it's got too many fixed size arrays, which
keep overflowing when a new raspberry pi user tries another complicated
type of mouse or keyboard.

A case could be made for just reading in one configuration descriptor
and ignoring any others, since as far as I can see every plan 9 usb
device driver selects config 0 without checking for other possibilities.

But looking at this particular keyboard, I think the flurry of usb i/o
errors suggests there's a more fundamental problem than descriptor
parsing.  That's why I asked whether you'd changed something in your
usb kernel driver.

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-03-03  1:29         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-03  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Personally I wouldn't look to the linux kernel as guidance for
> correct behaviour.  Especially when there's a published specification
> available.

after looking over the spec, i didn't see this question addressed.  do you?
it's a byte, so in theory there could be 255 configurations.  lacking anything else,
i needed something as guidance.  worse than nothing?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-03-02 23:22         ` Winston Kodogo
From: Winston Kodogo @ 2014-03-02 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm not sure if this is helpful at this, or indeed any, stage in the
conversation, but for me one of the great joys of using Richard's port has
been that it just works on real hardware without having to mess about, or
having to worry about esoterica about USB and chums. At least they're
esoterica to me as a Windows programmer. A few weeks back I was handed a pi
at work, which is in the antipodes where the current flows in the other
direction. I powered it via USB using the mains adapter that came with my
iPod (which provides 2.1A at 5+ volts, although the 1A version that comes
with the iPad mini also works fine)  plugged in a keyboard or two that were
lying around (Logitech K120 and some random Dell keyboard worked equally
well), plugged in a really cheap spare Logitech mouse that was also just
lying around, attached a random monitor borrowed from the IT guys
downstairs using an HDMI to DVI cable, and it all just worked. So my
feeling, based on "cop instinct", as Steve McGarrett used to say, is "Book
him, Dano". Oops, no, sorry, that was wrong. Book a mains USB power
adapter, Dano, and borrow or scrounge any old rubbishy peripherals that the
IT guys have lying around in a dusty cupboard, and find something that
works. And if that doesn't work, and you're not having fun, just give up
and try something else. Sorry to bang on, but the pi, Richard's port,
Andrey's code, and assorted documents, including Michael Covington's newbie
guide and Nemo's book, have made programming fun again for me.

@ 2014-03-02 19:54       ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-03-02 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2014-03-02 14:57     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-02 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've just tried Erik's usbd with a 2003 iMac keyboard:
>
> usbotg: ep6.0 error intr 00000402
> usbotg: ep6.0 error intr 00000402
> usbotg: ep6.0 error intr 00000402
> usbotg: ep6.0 error intr 00000402
> usbotg: ep6.0 error intr 00000402
> usbotg: ep6.0 error intr 00000402
> usbotg: ep6.0 error intr 00000402
> usbotg: ep6.0 error intr 00000402
> /boot/usbd: loaddevconf: bug: out of configurations in device
>
> 00000402 is Data Toggle Error + Channel Halted.
>
> Erik, have you maybe changed something in the bcm kernel usb driver too
> which makes it work for you?

well, not directly.  later today, i will haul out my keyboard, retest and
post the results with whatever numbers are on the back of the kbd.

the only salient difference i see is that Spawndelay=250 rather than
100 in usbd.  i didn't have a specific reason for leaving it at 250
but since connecting is in human time scales, 100ms seemed
shorter than necessary to seem snappy.  could that be it?

also, according to the linux kernel, we should not be looking for
configurations on anything that's not a hub.  i have't looked into
this further than confirming that usb/kb calls startdevs -> opendev
-> loaddevconf.

(speaking of which, is the configuration error on the hub in the
keyboard, or the keyboard device itself?)

if you'd like, i can put up the kernel i'm using, which takes root
from the net.  i can do that later today.  i want to make sure to
copy it off the tested machine.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-03-02 10:46   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-03-02 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2014-03-02  1:39 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-02  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> work surface in the house, as terminals for a couple of Supermicro
> X7SPA-H based cpu servers. I expect the one in the kitchen to require
> a series of replacement keyboards.)

http://www.ruggedtech.com/EKFT-108%20key%20washable%20full%20travel%20keyboard.html

(just one of many you can find.)

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: won't recognize the USB mouse
@ 2014-03-02  1:12 Michael Hansen
From: Michael Hansen @ 2014-03-02  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Keyboards that didn't work:
>> IBM Type M with two different generic PS/2 to USB adapter (also from Fry's)
>
>I'm still using my faithful 21-year-old Model M, with a "blue cube" PS/2 adapter.
>Works perfectly.

I admit both of my PS/2 converters were suspiciously inexpensive, and
I've had problems with one of them connected to a Windows PC. I don't
particularly like the inter-key spacing or the action of the Genius
keyboard, so I'll attempt to invest in a less dodgy PS/2 adapter.

Also going to try Erik Quanstrom's fix at
http://9fans.net/archive/2014/02/202. (I'm in the process of mounting
cheap 720p TVs with Pis and USB hubs stuck to the back above every

@ 2014-03-01 12:12 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-01 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2014-03-01 12:09 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-03-01 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2014-03-01  5:43 Michael Hansen
From: Michael Hansen @ 2014-03-01  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Mouses that work for me:
Kensington Mouse-in-a-Box Optical 72123 (NOT the newer 72123CAA version)
Kensington Expert Mouse K64325 (actually a trackball, and rather expensive)
HP M-UY 101, 361781-007 (very hard to find)

I tried several USB keyboards, with and without a powered USB hub, for 9Pi
before finding one that worked:

Genius LuxeMate i200

Got it from Amazon in December for about US$20.

Keyboards that didn't work:

PFU HHKB2Lite
old iMac usb keyboard c. 2001
Apple 'Pro' keyboard, c. 2004
generic compact layout keyboard from Fry's Electronics, c. 2008
IBM Type M with two different generic PS/2 to USB adapter (also from Fry's)
Compaq 5187-5023 Rev. 1.2 with same two generic PS/2 to USB adapters.