* [9fans] Plan9 and VirtualBox 4.0
@ 2010-12-30 18:02 sam ducksworth
From: sam ducksworth @ 2010-12-30 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

FYI .. I successfully created a plan9 virtual machine using VirtualBox 4.0 for Macintosh. The install only took a few minutes. It boots up fast and feels pretty snappy.

--samd

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 and VirtualBox 4.0
@ 2010-12-30 18:36 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2010-12-30 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is this a PPC mac or an Intel one?

Qemu and plan9 on my G4 Powerbook is
slow enough to be of little real use.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 and VirtualBox 4.0
@ 2010-12-30 18:52 ` Robbin Johnson
From: Robbin Johnson @ 2010-12-30 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

How did you configure the video? ... I get a scrambled image and no rio desktop.

Robbin.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 and VirtualBox 4.0
@ 2010-12-30 19:47   ` Sam Ducksworth
From: Sam Ducksworth @ 2010-12-30 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

iMac with 2.66Ghz Intel Core i5

@ 2010-12-30 19:52   ` Sam Ducksworth
From: Sam Ducksworth @ 2010-12-30 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Here is how I setup my VM.

Base Memory: 392MB
Video Memory: 32MB
IDE Primary Master (CD/DVD): (latest plan9 iso was mounted here )
IDE Primary Slave: Plan9.vdi(Normal, 2.00GB)
Host Driver: CoreAudio
Controller: ICH AC97
Adapter 1:
Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (NAT)

--samd

I had to up the video memory for the VM to 32MB.

@ 2010-12-31  2:47     ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2010-12-31  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Weird i tried similar settings a few days ago and it didnt work. Can you
post the vdi and hdd  settings too?

@ 2010-12-31 16:58       ` blstuart
From: blstuart @ 2010-12-31 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

> Weird i tried similar settings a few days ago and it didnt work. Can you
> post the vdi and hdd  settings too?

I had some success yesterday, but more so with Erik's 9atom
ISO than the one from the labs.  It handled the VirtualBox
disk emulation much better.  Anyway, I ended up with a
very similar configuration, but with the ISO on the secondary
master and the fossil FS on the primary master (though I think
it also worked the other way).  I tried all three of the disk
controller settings PIIX3, PIIX4, and ICH6, but none worked
with the Labs' image.  It looks like I used the  ICH6 setting
with 9atom.  I ended up using the PIIX3 chipset, but mostly
because that's what it was left on when I switched to 9atom.
I expect it would work with PIIX4 as well--not sure about the
ICH9.

Toward the end of the day, though, I also got a VirtualBox
instance to boot off of a real Plan9 file server as a diskless
terminal...using IL to Ken's FS even :)  This was with the
Intel PRO/1000 MT Server in a bridged config.  This also
required the VirtualBox extensions to allow PXE booting
from the Intel cards.

As always, your mileage may vary...

BLS

@ 2011-01-01 11:53         ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2011-01-01 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: blstuart; +Cc: 9fans

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 12:58 AM,  <blstuart@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> Weird i tried similar settings a few days ago and it didnt work. Can you
>> post the vdi and hdd  settings too?
>
> I had some success yesterday, but more so with Erik's 9atom
> ISO than the one from the labs.  It handled the VirtualBox
> disk emulation much better.  Anyway, I ended up with a
> very similar configuration, but with the ISO on the secondary
> master and the fossil FS on the primary master (though I think
> it also worked the other way).  I tried all three of the disk
> controller settings PIIX3, PIIX4, and ICH6, but none worked
> with the Labs' image.  It looks like I used the  ICH6 setting
> with 9atom.  I ended up using the PIIX3 chipset, but mostly
> because that's what it was left on when I switched to 9atom.
> I expect it would work with PIIX4 as well--not sure about the
> ICH9.
>
> Toward the end of the day, though, I also got a VirtualBox
> instance to boot off of a real Plan9 file server as a diskless
> terminal...using IL to Ken's FS even :)  This was with the
> Intel PRO/1000 MT Server in a bridged config.  This also
> required the VirtualBox extensions to allow PXE booting
> from the Intel cards.
>
> As always, your mileage may vary...

I spent a few hours and investigated virtualbox 4.0 here is a summary

latest official plan9  iso installed perfectly no network support.
latest 9atom iso installed perfectly however after reboot it fails
with the following errors

MBR...PBS1...Bad Format or I/O error
Press a key to reboot...

reinstalling 9atom over the plan9.iso installation fixed everything,
it's bootable and with netwrok support.

thanks all

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 and VirtualBox 4.0
@ 2011-01-01 15:05           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-01-01 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

> MBR...PBS1...Bad Format or I/O error
> Press a key to reboot...
>
> reinstalling 9atom over the plan9.iso installation fixed everything,
> it's bootable and with netwrok support.

that's quite wierd.  can you reproduce this error?

if so, can you try running fdisk and prep by hand
and seeing if the output makes sense?  also, one
can compare the first sector of the disk with the
mbr and the first sector of the plan 9 partition
with pbs.  they should be the same, modulo the
bits that disk/mbr fiddle.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 and VirtualBox 4.0
@ 2011-01-02  2:00             ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2011-01-02  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 11:05 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> MBR...PBS1...Bad Format or I/O error
>> Press a key to reboot...
>>
>> reinstalling 9atom over the plan9.iso installation fixed everything,
>> it's bootable and with netwrok support.
>
> that's quite wierd.  can you reproduce this error?

I tried to do a fresh reinstall a few times, so in my case it's at
least repeatable on
a macbook.

> if so, can you try running fdisk and prep by hand
> and seeing if the output makes sense?  also, one
> can compare the first sector of the disk with the
> mbr and the first sector of the plan 9 partition
> with pbs.  they should be the same, modulo the
> bits that disk/mbr fiddle.

you may need to give a least of commands to try as I am not sure
how to do this in plan9.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 and VirtualBox 4.0
@ 2011-01-02  2:24               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-01-02  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

> I tried to do a fresh reinstall a few times, so in my case it's at
> least repeatable on
> a macbook.

your macbook.  milage seems to vary.  frustrating to not
know on what.

> > if so, can you try running fdisk and prep by hand
> > and seeing if the output makes sense?  also, one
> > can compare the first sector of the disk with the
> > mbr and the first sector of the plan 9 partition
> > with pbs.  they should be the same, modulo the
> > bits that disk/mbr fiddle.
> >

> you may need to give a least of commands to try as I am not sure
> how to do this in plan9.

start with
	disk/fdisk -p /dev/sd??/data
	disk/prep -p /dev/sd??/plan9
	dd -count 1 /dev/sd??/plan9 -count 1 | md5sum
	dd -if plan9 -count 1 | strings
	> should see something like
	       3: Plan9.00
	      43: CYLINDRICALFAT16
	     438: Bad format or I/O error
	     463: Press a key to reboot...
 	    488: 9LOAD
 	    500: PBS2...

you may need to open a new window to do this.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 and VirtualBox 4.0
@ 2011-01-10  8:42 ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2011-01-10  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhoyerboat, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM, a z <rhoyerboat@gmail.com> wrote:
>> MBR...PBS1...Bad Format or I/O error
>> Press a key to reboot...
>
> I also had this issue with Openbox-ubuntu-core2duo-ich9/ahci-sata, although
> it was intermittent, sometimes it would barely work (painfully slowly) clear
> into the part where I was looking for a distro to copy. I dont mean just
> "painfully slowly," I mean, "glad I had something else to do," hours and
> hours. Since then I quit ubuntu for gentoo(<3) and quit openbox for qemu, so
> I have no related issue- or logs to share, just posting because I had a
> similiar issue in Openbox.
>
> Anyhow, aloha
>
> --
> ⎼⎺⎺├@┼␊├├≤-␍⎼␊▒␍:/␤⎺└␊/⎼␤⎺#

not sure I understand are you using qemu or virtualbox or real hardware?

Using virtualbox. If you install the official plan9 iso first and then
install 9atom over it will work. installing 9atom using an >1Gig disk
image it works also. This is all using Virtualbox 4.0 on mac os x or
windows xp

so far virtualbox 4.0 has been running plan9 for me flawlessly.

* [9fans] Plan9 and VirtualBox 4.0
@ 2011-01-10  8:26 a z
From: a z @ 2011-01-10  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans