* [9fans] Ghostscript
@ 2006-01-16 14:13 Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2006-01-16 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There is a mkfile in /sys/src/cmd/gs.  Anyone know who wrote it?

* Re: [9fans] Ghostscript
@ 2006-01-16 16:16 ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2006-01-16 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I wrote the first one, but a lot has changed since then.
The original was made by somehow pushing everything
through using APE and some handiwork, then grabbing
the configuration .h and other things and pickling it all
in the mkfile.

Why do you care?

-rob

@ 2006-01-16 16:44   ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2006-01-16 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The current gs doesn't work with some .pdf files.
I was thinking of using a more recent release.
What would you suggest?

 1011 1100

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3297 bytes --]

From: Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Ghostscript
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:16:32 -0800

@ 2006-01-17  2:00   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-01-17  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I wrote the first one, but a lot has changed since then.
> The original was made by somehow pushing everything
> through using APE and some handiwork, then grabbing
> the configuration .h and other things and pickling it all
> in the mkfile.

I wrote the current mkfile, starting with what Rob had done
and trying to automate it somewhat.  I fixed up the automation
to handle current versions of ghostscript and installed gs 8.53.
I try not to update gs too often, because it is huge and because the
updates bring little actual benefit (the last update was four years ago).

The new gs correctly handles the PDF that Brantley posted.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Ghostscript
@ 2006-01-17 13:08     ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2006-01-17 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The new gs correctly handles the PDF that Brantley posted.

Great many thanks to Russ, who everyone knows is `the man.'

  1011 1100

* Re: [9fans] Ghostscript
@ 2006-01-17 14:13       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-01-17 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i've just had to rebuild it to add a driver.
it seems i could use a faster machine.
that one program must skew the plan 9 system recompilation time.

* Re: [9fans] ghostscript
@ 2004-03-01  7:32   ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-03-01  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> To maintain Ghostscript is easy enough even
> for like me, which don't need Russ, Dave, Jim, Sape, and of course Rob.

I meant they should use their power for more basic ones of Plan 9.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] ghostscript
@ 2004-03-01  4:36 ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-03-01  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

AFPL Ghostscript-8.13 can be find on our web site:
	http://basalt.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp/plan9/gs-8.13.tgz
	http://basalt.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp/plan9/gs-data.tgz.

Why they were removed from sources?  Because none is maintaining
it anymore.   As you know Russ has been doing it, but he is a graduate
student at MIT which means he must be very busy for his own Ph.D
thema etc.   Furthermore, maintaining Ghostscript is not any creative
work which is neccessary to those students.   We need Ghostscript for
every day use of Plan 9, and that's all.    Ghostscript is not in the main
stream of Plan 9 design way, it uses UTF-8, but Ghostscript(8.x) uses
CID-keyd character etc.   To maintain Ghostscript is easy enough even
for like me, which don't need Russ, Dave, Jim, Sape, and of course Rob.
I think that's the reason.

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2356 bytes --]

From: dbailey27@ameritech.net
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] ghostscript
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:08:58 -0500

Morning, all

	Does anyone know what happened to the 8.x ghostscript
stuff on the labs fs? I'm looking to upgrade so I can view files
from unicode.org. The ghostscript/. directory on the Labs 9fs
is empty, and there is no gs package in contrib or extra.

Don (north_)

* [9fans] ghostscript
@ 2004-02-28 16:08 dbailey27