* [9fans] New User with Problems
@ 2010-02-08 10:41 Steve
From: Steve @ 2010-02-08 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've been scouring the Interwebs and haven't been able to find much of
a solution.

Yesterday I decided to give P9 a try and burned the ISO file available
on Plan 9's installation page here:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/download/index.html

It was the direct link to the CD image so none of the other choices
that are available below.

After burning the image to CD, I restarted my computer with the
primary booting option as the CD rather than the HD. I received the
following:

   1 FD 2.88 MB System Type (00)
PBS1...
Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0CA0
pcirouting: South bridge 8086, 2812 not found
no plan.ini
cpu0: 1862 MHz P6 loop 105279
apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=fdf7 di=0 ebx=801c esi=10041c
Boot devices: fd0
boot from:

I've checked the requirements and my PC seems to be in order there.

I did look around and the only possible problems I could find were
that maybe since I don't have Windows it was trying to look for the
FAT file (I'm strictly an only Linux user) in which case I do not have
VMWare and I'd be curious if there is a non-DOS ISO file that could
run on a Linux only system. The only other explanations that seemed
somewhat logical were that something went wrong in the pcirouting and
I missed something in the PC requirements listed on site or the ISO
file burned to my CD is faulty.

Thoughts?

-E

* Re: [9fans] New User with Problems
@ 2010-02-08 11:29 ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2010-02-08 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 8:41 AM, Steve <carrickfergus88@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been scouring the Interwebs and haven't been able to find much of
> a solution.
>
> Yesterday I decided to give P9 a try and burned the ISO file available
> on Plan 9's installation page here:
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/download/index.html
>
> It was the direct link to the CD image so none of the other choices
> that are available below.
>
> After burning the image to CD, I restarted my computer with the
> primary booting option as the CD rather than the HD. I received the
> following:
>
>   1 FD 2.88 MB System Type (00)
> PBS1...
> Plan 9 from Bell Labs
> ELCR: 0CA0
> pcirouting: South bridge 8086, 2812 not found
> no plan.ini
> cpu0: 1862 MHz P6 loop 105279
> apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=fdf7 di=0 ebx=801c esi=10041c
> Boot devices: fd0
> boot from:
>
> I've checked the requirements and my PC seems to be in order there.
>
> I did look around and the only possible problems I could find were
> that maybe since I don't have Windows it was trying to look for the
> FAT file (I'm strictly an only Linux user) in which case I do not have
> VMWare and I'd be curious if there is a non-DOS ISO file that could
> run on a Linux only system. The only other explanations that seemed
> somewhat logical were that something went wrong in the pcirouting and
> I missed something in the PC requirements listed on site or the ISO
> file burned to my CD is faulty.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -E

the cd can't seem to find plan9.ini(8), the boot configuration file.
the "boot from:" prompt is 9load(8) (the bootloader) asking you for a
Plan 9 kernel to load, you may want to try fd0!dos!file where file may
be 9pcf.gz, 9pcflop.gz.

iru

* Re: [9fans] New User with Problems
@ 2010-02-08 14:34 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-02-08 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I did look around and the only possible problems I could find were
> that maybe since I don't have Windows it was trying to look for the
> FAT file (I'm strictly an only Linux user) in which case I do not have
> VMWare and I'd be curious if there is a non-DOS ISO file that could
> run on a Linux only system. The only other explanations that seemed
> somewhat logical were that something went wrong in the pcirouting and
> I missed something in the PC requirements listed on site or the ISO
> file burned to my CD is faulty.
>
> Thoughts?

i put a modified 9load on sources /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/9load
perhaps you would be able to download it and put it in your 9fat
partition with the distribution cd?

if not or doesn't work, send the output of lspci off line.
the main problem is that the distribution cd is not recognizing
your pata/sata devices.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] New User with Problems
@ 2010-02-08 15:13   ` David Leimbach
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-02-08 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:34 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com>wrote:

> > I did look around and the only possible problems I could find were
> > that maybe since I don't have Windows it was trying to look for the
> > FAT file (I'm strictly an only Linux user) in which case I do not have
> > VMWare and I'd be curious if there is a non-DOS ISO file that could
> > run on a Linux only system. The only other explanations that seemed
> > somewhat logical were that something went wrong in the pcirouting and
> > I missed something in the PC requirements listed on site or the ISO
> > file burned to my CD is faulty.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> i put a modified 9load on sources /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/9load
> perhaps you would be able to download it and put it in your 9fat
> partition with the distribution cd?
>
> if not or doesn't work, send the output of lspci off line.
> the main problem is that the distribution cd is not recognizing
> your pata/sata devices.
>
> - erik

If you try Erik's 9atom ISO, you may have better luck.  It'd be nice if the
9load changes he made were already rolled up into the standard ISO, but I
guess they haven't made it yet?

Also there's a project to boot plan 9 from plan 9 without 9load, but I've
sort of lost track of where that is.  I believe it was showing signs of
great success though :-)

Dave

* Re: [9fans] New User with Problems
@ 2010-02-08 17:43     ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2010-02-08 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Feb 8, 2010, at 9:13 AM, David Leimbach wrote:

> If you try Erik's 9atom ISO, you may have better luck.  It'd be nice if the
> 9load changes he made were already rolled up into the standard ISO, but I
> guess they haven't made it yet?

Steve,

Dave's suggestion could work.  Check the 9fans archive for the link to 9atom.iso.gz.

In the install instructions there is mention of IDE/ATAPI drive settings that you might want to look through.  I recently had an issue where I too had to explicitly set the CD/DVD drive as a "Secondary Master" and then instead of:

	boot from: sdC1!cdboot!9pcflop.gz

I used:

	boot from: sdD1!cdboot!9pcflop.gz

After that the install went smoothly.

-jas

* Re: [9fans] New User with Problems
@ 2010-02-08 17:47     ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2010-02-08 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 1:13 PM, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:34 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> > I did look around and the only possible problems I could find were
>> > that maybe since I don't have Windows it was trying to look for the
>> > FAT file (I'm strictly an only Linux user) in which case I do not have
>> > VMWare and I'd be curious if there is a non-DOS ISO file that could
>> > run on a Linux only system. The only other explanations that seemed
>> > somewhat logical were that something went wrong in the pcirouting and
>> > I missed something in the PC requirements listed on site or the ISO
>> > file burned to my CD is faulty.
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>>
>> i put a modified 9load on sources /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/9load
>> perhaps you would be able to download it and put it in your 9fat
>> partition with the distribution cd?
>>
>> if not or doesn't work, send the output of lspci off line.
>> the main problem is that the distribution cd is not recognizing
>> your pata/sata devices.
>>
>> - erik
>>

> If you try Erik's 9atom ISO, you may have better luck.  It'd be nice if the
> 9load changes he made were already rolled up into the standard ISO, but I
> guess they haven't made it yet?
> Also there's a project to boot plan 9 from plan 9 without 9load, but I've
> sort of lost track of where that is.  I believe it was showing signs of
> great success though :-)
> Dave

http://src.oitobits.net/9null may be what you've heard of. i managed
to boot kernels without 9load, but now it is somehow dog slow for
week.

iru

* Re: [9fans] New User with Problems
@ 2010-02-22  9:56     ` Pavel Klinkovsky
From: Pavel Klinkovsky @ 2010-02-22  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If you try Erik's 9atom ISO, you may have better luck.
I tried Erik's 9atom ISO.
I was able to reach the menu - install, start etc. - but another
install progress failed...

init: starting /bin/rc
i8259enable: irq 11 shared but not level
intrenable: couldn't enable irq 11, tbdf 0xC00FA00 for sdD (ata)

Any idea?

Thanks.

Pavel