* Re: [9fans] Pixar and Jell-O
@ 2005-04-15 16:37 Jean Mehat
From: Jean Mehat @ 2005-04-15 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, russcox

> A Slashdot post mentioned a hand-written fake paper
> titled "Ray Tracing in the Absence of Light".

As I remember, the authors where referees for a conference, but did not
receive any paper to refer. As an experiment, the next year, they submitted
three papers to this conference (about image synthesis) ; the first one
suggested to add foot mark on the wall, with a correlation between the size
and the height of the mark ; the second one was about ray tracing in the
absence of light; the third one was a copy of the call for paper. The three
papers were accepted.

* Re: [9fans] Pixar and Jell-O
@ 2005-04-18  7:11 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2005-04-18  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It took months for Shaney to get accused of being a program.
He could of actually spat out someone's complete article
(there is no secret about how dumb but effective the program was),
but only if god rolled the right dice.

So who is the most gullible audience?

net.singles+net.religion

or conference shysters?

brucee

On 4/16/05, Jean Mehat <jm@ai.univ-paris8.fr> wrote:
> > A Slashdot post mentioned a hand-written fake paper
> > titled "Ray Tracing in the Absence of Light".
>
> As I remember, the authors where referees for a conference, but did not
> receive any paper to refer. As an experiment, the next year, they submitted
> three papers to this conference (about image synthesis) ; the first one
> suggested to add foot mark on the wall, with a correlation between the size
> and the height of the mark ; the second one was about ray tracing in the
> absence of light; the third one was a copy of the call for paper. The three
> papers were accepted.

* Re: [9fans] Pixar and Jell-O
@ 2005-04-15 13:00           ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-04-15 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> 'Ray Tracing Jell-O Brand Gelatin' by Paul S. Heckbert
>   <http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/88q3/20424.10.html>

A Slashdot post mentioned a hand-written fake paper
titled "Ray Tracing in the Absence of Light".

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Pixar and Jell-O
@ 2005-04-15  5:14           ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2005-04-15  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Why, that's the paper that taught me about Jabobians!
A joke, but one that works!

Paul

On 14-Apr-05, at 8:57 PM, Karl Sackett wrote:

> On 2005 April 14 at 20:45:24 -0600, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
>> is the old paper from pixar about rendering jello online anywhere?
>> Another
>> classic ...
>
> Google is your friend.
> 'Ray Tracing Jell-O Brand Gelatin' by Paul S. Heckbert
>   <http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/88q3/20424.10.html>
>
> --
> Karl Sackett                     K4KRS
> krs@hiwaay.net
>
>    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and
>     carrying the cross."                               Sinclair Lewis

* [9fans] Pixar and Jell-O
@ 2005-04-15  3:57         ` Karl Sackett
From: Karl Sackett @ 2005-04-15  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2005 April 14 at 20:45:24 -0600, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> is the old paper from pixar about rendering jello online anywhere? Another
> classic ...

Google is your friend.