* plan9port on osx
@ 2019-11-08 12:42 Steve Simon
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Steve Simon @ 2019-11-08 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi,

i cannot find a plan9port maillist, so i am asking here.

anyone using plan9port on osx? if so which mouse are you using? i am fighting with a magic mouse2 which, with the addition of the magicperfs app can do both scrolling and 3 buttons.

sadly the middle button support is buggy an often misfires.

anyone found better software, or do i have just go back to traditional mouse?

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] plan9port on osx
@ 2019-11-08 14:19 ` Mat Kovach
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mat Kovach @ 2019-11-08 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2019-11-08 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

https://www.contourdesign.com/product/contour-mouse/

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] plan9port on osx
@ 2019-11-08 16:21 ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2019-11-08 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am running plan9port on my mac.  I used to use acme with the
https://codereview.appspot.com/6115053 patch for the trackpad on my
laptop, but at some point that stopped working.  I didn't care to dig
into it at the time and switched to using the Alt/Cmd button
modifiers.  Currently  since I'm not traveling much I'm using the
Evoluent VM4RB VerticalMouse, which has 3+ buttons.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 4:44 AM Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:

> hi,
>
> i cannot find a plan9port maillist, so i am asking here.
>
> anyone using plan9port on osx? if so which mouse are you using? i am fighting with a magic mouse2 which, with the addition of the magicperfs app can do both scrolling and 3 buttons.
>
> sadly the middle button support is buggy an often misfires.
>
> anyone found better software, or do i have just go back to traditional mouse?
>
> -Steve

* Re: [9fans] plan9port on osx
@ 2019-11-08 18:18   ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2019-11-08 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

since commit 9af9ceca, the metal backend has (undocumented),

  Allow touch events to simulate mouse clicks:
  three finger tap for the middle mouse button;
  four finger tap for the 2-1 chord.

In addition Ctrl/Alt/Cmd works as 1/2/3 button, so you can invoke 2-1 chord by pressing Alt and then Ctrl with your left thumb, while right thumb pressed on the trackpad.

> On Nov 8, 2019, at 10:21 AM, James A. Robinson <jim.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am running plan9port on my mac.  I used to use acme with the
> https://codereview.appspot.com/6115053 patch for the trackpad on my
> laptop, but at some point that stopped working.  I didn't care to dig
> into it at the time and switched to using the Alt/Cmd button
> modifiers.  Currently  since I'm not traveling much I'm using the
> Evoluent VM4RB VerticalMouse, which has 3+ buttons.
>

> On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 4:44 AM Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>>
>> hi,
>>
>> i cannot find a plan9port maillist, so i am asking here.
>>
>> anyone using plan9port on osx? if so which mouse are you using? i am fighting with a magic mouse2 which, with the addition of the magicperfs app can do both scrolling and 3 buttons.
>>
>> sadly the middle button support is buggy an often misfires.
>>
>> anyone found better software, or do i have just go back to traditional mouse?
>>
>> -Steve

* Re: [9fans] plan9port on osx
@ 2019-11-08 19:18     ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2019-11-08 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Oh that's very nice, I'll have to update and try it.  Thank you for
pointing this out!

@ 2019-11-09 19:51   ` Jeremy Jackins
From: Jeremy Jackins @ 2019-11-09 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This looks great, thanks for the tip. Found one on ebay for $30
(stores in Canada are selling it for CAD $120...)

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 at 07:37, Aram Hăvărneanu <aram.h@mgk.ro> wrote:

> https://www.contourdesign.com/product/contour-mouse/
>
> --
> Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] plan9port on osx
@ 2019-11-09 21:58     ` Darren Wise
From: Darren Wise @ 2019-11-09 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yeah me too, with regards to an eBay bid for an Contour mouse! Hope I win in the next few days.

Devilishly stricking design, I could only find an large, right-handed model.. would have preferred a medium, right-handed but who cares as it seems to be a lovely mouse and a huge upgrade on my sloppy to-small boring £7 maplin own brand mouse but has lasted me years with no problems yet :D

Awesome mention Aram & Jeremy :D

On 9 November 2019 19:51:55 GMT, Jeremy Jackins <jeremyjackins@gmail.com> wrote:
>This looks great, thanks for the tip. Found one on ebay for $30
>(stores in Canada are selling it for CAD $120...)
>
>On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 at 07:37, Aram Hăvărneanu <aram.h@mgk.ro> wrote:
>>
>> https://www.contourdesign.com/product/contour-mouse/
>>
>> --
>> Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] plan9port on osx
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-21  1:22 ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2019-11-21  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i cannot find a plan9port maillist, so i am asking here.

it's called plan9port-dev and it's on google groups:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/plan9port-dev

* Re: [9fans] plan9port on osx
@ 2019-11-21  7:14   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2019-11-21  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Ethan Gardener" <eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> > i cannot find a plan9port maillist, so i am asking here.
>
> it's called plan9port-dev and it's on google groups:
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/plan9port-dev

Clicking on the link tells me I don't have access to the group.

I reported something directly to Russ a few days ago, but didn't
hear back...

Thanks,

Arnold

* Re: [9fans] plan9port on osx
@ 2019-11-21  7:22     ` fgergo
From: fgergo @ 2019-11-21  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 11/21/19, arnold@skeeve.com <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:
> "Ethan Gardener" <eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> > i cannot find a plan9port maillist, so i am asking here.
>>
>> it's called plan9port-dev and it's on google groups:
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/plan9port-dev
>
> Clicking on the link tells me I don't have access to the group.
>
> I reported something directly to Russ a few days ago, but didn't
> hear back...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arnold

https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!forum/plan9port-dev
should look more friendly.

* Re: [9fans] plan9port on osx
@ 2019-11-21  7:49       ` fgergo
From: fgergo @ 2019-11-21  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 11/21/19, fgergo@gmail.com <fgergo@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> it's called plan9port-dev and it's on google groups:
>>>
>>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/plan9port-dev
>>
>> Clicking on the link tells me I don't have access to the group.
>>
>> I reported something directly to Russ a few days ago, but didn't
>> hear back...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Arnold
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!forum/plan9port-dev
> should look more friendly.

I'm not sure what's happening. I've tried this ^ again in incognito
mode and it was (probably) the same error page Arnold reported. After
several browser restarts and checks later sometimes the result is the
topic list as expected, but sometimes it's the error page.

* Re: [9fans] plan9port on osx
@ 2019-11-21  7:57         ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2019-11-21  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 08:49:32 +0100 fgergo@gmail.com wrote:
fgergo@gmail.com writes:
> On 11/21/19, fgergo@gmail.com <fgergo@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Clicking on the link tells me I don't have access to the group.
> >>
> >> I reported something directly to Russ a few days ago, but didn't
> >> hear back...
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Arnold
> >
> > https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=3Demail&utm_source=3Dfooter#!=
> forum/plan9port-dev
> > should look more friendly.
>
> I'm not sure what's happening. I've tried this ^ again in incognito
> mode and it was (probably) the same error page Arnold reported. After
> several browser restarts and checks later sometimes the result is the
> topic list as expected, but sometimes it's the error page.

It is a private group.

* Re: [9fans] plan9port on osx
@ 2019-11-21  8:36           ` fgergo
From: fgergo @ 2019-11-21  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 11/21/19, Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 08:49:32 +0100 fgergo@gmail.com wrote:
> fgergo@gmail.com writes:

>> > https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=3Demail&utm_source=3Dfooter#!=
>> forum/plan9port-dev
>> > should look more friendly.
>>
>> I'm not sure what's happening. I've tried this ^ again in incognito
>> mode and it was (probably) the same error page Arnold reported. After
>> several browser restarts and checks later sometimes the result is the
>> topic list as expected, but sometimes it's the error page.
>
> It is a private group.
> Ask to subscribe by sending email to
> plan9port-dev+subscribe@googlegroups.com

Sure, but it's not a reason for either of these links to respond - at
least for me -inconsistently.
(Or at least until recently this was not the norm on google groups,
though maybe things have deteriorated more.)
Yes, this is off topic.