* [9fans] my winwatch virtual desktop-like space setup thingy...
@ 2006-10-26 21:55 David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-10-26 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I was asked to post it so here goes.  It's not very cleaned up yet but
what I have is basically the following:  (feel free to critique it,
beat me about the head and neck with my own ignorance or whatever...)

in lib/profile

switch($service) {
case terminal
        plumber
        upas/fs
        exec rio -i lib/mystart

lib/mystart:
#!/bin/rc

swidth=`{cat /env/vgasize | awk -F x '{print $1}'}
sheight=`{cat /env/vgasize | awk -F x '{print $2}'}

window -r 0 0 100 $sheight winwatch -e winwatch
# Below are my "desktops"  They just overlap
# Yes I know the full path isn't necessary...
window -r 100 0 400 200 kprinter  # just watches /dev/kprint for me...
window -r 101 0 $swidth $sheight /usr/leimy/bin/rc/riosession SEmail #
Speakeasy email
window -r 101 0 $swidth $sheight /usr/leimy/bin/rc/riosession Mormail
# Mordor email
window -r 101 0 $swidth $sheight /usr/leimy/bin/rc/riosession Work     # "work"

Then there's "riosession"
#!/bin/rc

echo -n $1 > /dev/label
bind /dev/null /dev/label
sleep 2 # I actually forget why I did that
rio

* Re: [9fans] my winwatch virtual desktop-like space setup thingy...
@ 2006-10-30 19:14 ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2006-10-30 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/26/06, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> Then there's "riosession"
> #!/bin/rc
>
> echo -n $1 > /dev/label
> bind /dev/null /dev/label
> sleep 2 # I actually forget why I did that
> rio

I added a shift and changed rio to rio $* so I could pass a starting
script -- for example starting faces and acme -l lib/acme.mail.dump.
This led to an interesting situation; both acmes listen to the plumber
and open files and man pages.  Which is easier; starting a new plumber
in the new rio window (and are they disconnected?), or telling this
invocation of acme only to respond to mail messages and pass opening
files to some other process?

--Joel