From: cigar562hfsp952fans@icebubble.org
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Fossil+Venti system memory requirements to be aware of?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 18:15:06 +0000	[thread overview]

Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com> writes:

> Sizing venti is also simple.

I disagree with this.  The best way to configure venti depends largely
on how you plan to use it.  I have multiple venti servers configured for
different uses.  For example, I keep my DVD images on a different venti
server than I do for smaller, more frequently-used files such as mail.

Choosing a good arena size isn't trivial, either.  If you ever plan to
back-up your venti to optical media, 640 MiB is the ideal arena size.
There is a lot of math behind that determination, but its implications
can be summarized as follows: Whether you're burning to standard CD-Rs,
extended CD-Rs, DVDs, DVD DL, Blu-ray, flash media, or to another HDD,
the amount of "wasted" space will never exceed 5% of the media's total
capacity.  In other words, the archvie will always be a minimum of 95%
space-efficient.  (Caveat: when burning 640 MiB arenas to optical media,
you may need to turn off Joliet/Rock Rigde extensions in order to make
the ISO image fit.)

> and it's also relatively trivial to move your data between stores.

I don't know that to be true.  If the source and destination volumes are
the same size, yes, it's easy to just dd the arenas.  But if you're
relocating to a smaller/larger partition, what would be an easy way to
do that?