* Re: [9fans] problems with marshal
@ 2000-11-23 20:57 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-11-23 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yeah, but doesn't the S in SMTP mean simple?

-rob

* Re: [9fans] problems with marshal
@ 2000-11-23 21:29 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-11-23 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yes, indeed, but they don't specify which sense of `simple'.
in much the same way, i might regard the book `Core Jini' as
`thick' in every sense.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1421 bytes --]

From: "rob pike" <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] problems with marshal
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:57:04 -0500

@ 2000-11-21 18:47 rog
From: rog @ 2000-11-21 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'll try changing it to always say
> in the main header and see how it goes.

actually, that's the default anyway.  and even if it wasn't, it
wouldn't really help, as that header would be lying if utf8 characters
were included.

the whole thing's a crock of shit, but if it's to be a working crock
of shit i can't really see much alternative to converting utf8
plain/text attachments to quoted-printable.

of course, then there's the issue of utf8 in header lines.  =?.....?=,
rfc2047, aargh.

as you might be able to tell, i've had some dealings with
this stuff recently, hence i was plundering upas for ideas
on "nice" ways of dealing with the crud, hence i realised these
problems...

  cheers,
    rog.

* Re: [9fans] problems with marshal
@ 2000-11-21 17:31 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-11-21 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry about that last message... I can't cut and paste anymore, too many
neurons gone.  I meant:

@ 2000-11-21 17:30 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-11-21 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I originally just said it was UTF-8 and 8bit encoding but backed off because
lots of mailers threw their hands up at UTF-8.  Perhaps I should have kept the
8bit part though.  I'll try changing it to always say

@ 2000-11-21 16:54 rog
From: rog @ 2000-11-21 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

boyd wrote:
> by the end of the 4th mime doc either the authors had totally
> lost it, you have totally lost it or a combination of both.

i agree.
i'm very close to losing it totally today.

... (muffled shrieks) ...

  rog.

* [9fans] problems with marshal
@ 2000-11-21 15:46 rog
From: rog @ 2000-11-21 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i came across a few problems with upas/marshal; i'm afraid i haven't
got time to fix all of them right now.

most minor problem is that in scanning for 8 bit characters, a

that's fixed easily with:
diff /n/dump/2000/1121/sys/src/cmd/upas/ned/marshal.c marshal.c
370c370
< 		for(;;){
---
> 		while (docontenttype){
385c385
< 				if(*p++ & 0x80){
---
> 				if(*p++ & 0x80 && docontenttype){

(which also saves some buffer space on files containing lots of utf)

the other problem is that text attachments containing 8 bit utf don't
propagate the "Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit" into the main header.
fixing this would require reading all the attachments before spitting
out the principal header, which is not currently done.

the alternative (which would likely be preferable, as it would make
the resulting email smtp compatible) would be to encode any 8-bit
plain text attachments in quoted-printable.  then i might be able to
see the utf chars sent to 9fans!

one last thing:
diff /n/dump/2000/1121/sys/src/cmd/file.c file.c
345c345
< 	if (nbuf < 100)
---
> 	if (nbuf < 100 && !mime)

which stops "file -m" printing two type lines for short files.

  cheers,
    rog.