* [9fans] p9p backspace/delete in osx
@ 2012-09-25  8:52 Christopher Hobbs
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Christopher Hobbs @ 2012-09-25  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Being that macs don't have a proper delete key, how can I get delete
behavior to kill a program in rc short of slapping a real keyboard
on this machine?

* Re: [9fans] p9p backspace/delete in osx
@ 2012-09-25  9:06 ` erik quanstrom
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-09-25  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Sep 25 05:03:55 EDT 2012, chris@altbit.org wrote:
> Being that macs don't have a proper delete key, how can I get delete
> behavior to kill a program in rc short of slapping a real keyboard
> on this machine?

i think it's function or apple +backspace.  (doesn't work through a kvm.)

- erik

* Re: [9fans] p9p backspace/delete in osx
@ 2012-09-25  9:22   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2012-09-25  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 05:06:54 EDT erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>  wrote:
> On Tue Sep 25 05:03:55 EDT 2012, chris@altbit.org wrote:
> > Being that macs don't have a proper delete key, how can I get delete
> > behavior to kill a program in rc short of slapping a real keyboard
> > on this machine?
>
> i think it's function or apple +backspace.  (doesn't work through a kvm.)

fn+delete works on both local and remote (X11 based) p9p acme and 9vx.

* Re: [9fans] p9p backspace/delete in osx
@ 2012-09-25  9:26     ` erik quanstrom
       [not found]       ` <CAK4xykU+ZgTKa-enOhAJKDp3=+sT-T-v+6QJY_fa1a87gKMf2Q@mail.gmail.c>
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-09-25  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > i think it's function or apple +backspace.  (doesn't work through a kvm.)
>
> fn+delete works on both local and remote (X11 based) p9p acme and 9vx.

obviously not necessary when using a full-size keyboard, and there is a
real delete on those keyboards.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] p9p backspace/delete in osx
@ 2012-09-25  9:39       ` andrey mirtchovski
       [not found]       ` <CAK4xykU+ZgTKa-enOhAJKDp3=+sT-T-v+6QJY_fa1a87gKMf2Q@mail.gmail.c>
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2012-09-25  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> obviously not necessary when using a full-size keyboard, and there is a
> real delete on those keyboards.

none of these works with an rc shell. all i see is:

^[[3~

printed with each method. repeatedly as i bash the keyboard with my stubby
fingers :)

@ 2012-09-25  9:42         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-09-25  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Sep 25 05:40:05 EDT 2012, mirtchovski@gmail.com wrote:

> > obviously not necessary when using a full-size keyboard, and there is a
> > real delete on those keyboards.
>
> none of these works with an rc shell. all i see is:
>
> ^[[3~
>
> printed with each method. repeatedly as i bash the keyboard with my stubby
> fingers :)

works with my old copy of p9p in 9term.  when did p9p go broken?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] p9p backspace/delete in osx
@ 2012-09-25  9:47         ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2012-09-25  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 03:39:14 MDT andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com>  wrote:

> > obviously not necessary when using a full-size keyboard, and there is a
> > real delete on those keyboards.
>
> none of these works with an rc shell. all i see is:
>
> ^[[3~

You must be running p9p rc in a terminal window on the mac!
For that the interrupt key is whatever stty all shows you.
Probably ^C. If you are running rc under p9p acme or 9vx on
the mac fn+delete is the interrupt key. The same works with
a remote X windows p9p acme or 9vx or plan9/qemu running rc.

@ 2012-09-25  9:49           ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2012-09-25  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> works with my old copy of p9p in 9term.  when did p9p go broken?

i don't know. here's what i got with mac book and normal keyboards plugged
in today:

http://i.imgur.com/9Jfqm.png

notably, ctrl+c worked.

* Re: [9fans] p9p backspace/delete in osx
@ 2012-09-25  9:50           ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2012-09-25  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> You must be running p9p rc in a terminal window on the mac!
> For that the interrupt key is whatever stty all shows you.
> Probably ^C. If you are running rc under p9p acme or 9vx on
> the mac fn+delete is the interrupt key. The same works with
> a remote X windows p9p acme or 9vx or plan9/qemu running rc.

great! now how do we solve OP's problem?

* Re: [9fans] p9p backspace/delete in osx
@ 2012-09-25 10:07             ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2012-09-25 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 03:50:41 MDT andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com>  wrote:
> > You must be running p9p rc in a terminal window on the mac!
> > For that the interrupt key is whatever stty all shows you.
> > Probably ^C. If you are running rc under p9p acme or 9vx on
> > the mac fn+delete is the interrupt key. The same works with
> > a remote X windows p9p acme or 9vx or plan9/qemu running rc.
>
> great! now how do we solve OP's problem?

If he is running rc in a terminal window, he can use ^C.  If
he is running rc in acme, he can use fn+delete to kill a
program.  Assuming I have not misunderstood his problem. Which
I probably have, given how many messages have been exchanged!

* Re: [9fans] p9p backspace/delete in osx
@ 2012-09-25 10:51               ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2012-09-25 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just use a multitouch gesture on the magic mouse. This makes it
completely keyboard agnostic.

* Re: [9fans] p9p backspace/delete in osx
@ 2012-09-25 11:04 ` Kurt H Maier
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2012-09-25 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 08:52:40AM +0000, Christopher Hobbs wrote:
> Being that macs don't have a proper delete key, how can I get delete
> behavior to kill a program in rc short of slapping a real keyboard
> on this machine?

delete to kill a program is a function of rio/9term/acme, not a function
of rc.

* Re: [9fans] p9p backspace/delete in osx
@ 2012-09-25 11:28   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2012-09-25 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

"hit with brick - fixed!" - unknown source

@ 2012-09-25 15:33 ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2012-09-25 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

khm-9@intma.in (Kurt H Maier) writes:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 08:52:40AM +0000, Christopher Hobbs wrote:
>> Being that macs don't have a proper delete key, how can I get delete
>> behavior to kill a program in rc short of slapping a real keyboard
>> on this machine?
>>
> delete to kill a program is a function of rio/9term/acme, not a function
> of rc.

Not true.  It's a feature of the terminal line discipline.

% stty
speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
intr = ^?; erase = ^H;

(The problem is that this only allows single chars as special keys,
so you can't bind '^[[3~'.)

(Actually, p9p 9term always sends the current intr-char on Delete, while
acme/win and matty's 9term always send ^?.)

Cheers,
--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

* Re: [9fans] p9p backspace/delete in osx
@ 2012-09-25 16:45   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-09-25 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Sep 25 11:44:21 EDT 2012, chneukirchen@gmail.com wrote:
> khm-9@intma.in (Kurt H Maier) writes:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 08:52:40AM +0000, Christopher Hobbs wrote:
> >> Being that macs don't have a proper delete key, how can I get delete
> >> behavior to kill a program in rc short of slapping a real keyboard
> >> on this machine?
> >>
> > delete to kill a program is a function of rio/9term/acme, not a function
> > of rc.
>
> Not true.  It's a feature of the terminal line discipline.
>
> (The problem is that this only allows single chars as special keys,
> so you can't bind '^[[3~'.)
>
> (Actually, p9p 9term always sends the current intr-char on Delete, while
> acme/win and matty's 9term always send ^?.)

the interrupt is delivered through the star wars-vintage
imperial garbage chute known as the tty subsystem, but
when i start 9term, stty intr is reset from ^C to ^?.
and if i change it back, then the fn+delete generates
escape codes, rather than an interrupt.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] p9p backspace/delete in osx
@ 2012-09-25 18:49     ` Jiten Pathy
From: Jiten Pathy @ 2012-09-25 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Not surprisingly i have 15+ threaded mail relted to osx.

@ 2012-09-26  7:21         ` Yaroslav
From: Yaroslav @ 2012-09-26  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

just to make it clear: is this in 9term?

--
- Yaroslav

* Re: [9fans] p9p backspace/delete in osx
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-09-26  8:35 ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2012-09-26  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

quanstro@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) writes:

> On Tue Sep 25 11:44:21 EDT 2012, chneukirchen@gmail.com wrote:
>> khm-9@intma.in (Kurt H Maier) writes:

>> > delete to kill a program is a function of rio/9term/acme, not a function
>> > of rc.
>>
>> Not true.  It's a feature of the terminal line discipline.
>>
>> (The problem is that this only allows single chars as special keys,
>> so you can't bind '^[[3~'.)
>>
>> (Actually, p9p 9term always sends the current intr-char on Delete, while
>> acme/win and matty's 9term always send ^?.)
>
> the interrupt is delivered through the star wars-vintage
> imperial garbage chute known as the tty subsystem, but
> when i start 9term, stty intr is reset from ^C to ^?.
> and if i change it back, then the fn+delete generates
> escape codes, rather than an interrupt.

Not on my p9p 9term:

% stty
speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
intr = ^?; erase = ^H;
-brkint -imaxbel
-onlcr onocr
% cat
^?
% stty intr '^C'
% cat
^C
% cat
<Press C-c, RET here>
^C

I pressed DEL twice, and after that C-c.  The second DEL sends C-c, see
/opt/plan9/src/cmd/9term/9term.c:441:winterrupt(Window *w)

--

@ 2012-09-26 11:43   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-09-26 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >> Not true.  It's a feature of the terminal line discipline.
> >>
> >> (The problem is that this only allows single chars as special keys,
> >> so you can't bind '^[[3~'.)
> >>
> >> (Actually, p9p 9term always sends the current intr-char on Delete, while
> >> acme/win and matty's 9term always send ^?.)
> >
> > the interrupt is delivered through the star wars-vintage
> > imperial garbage chute known as the tty subsystem, but
> > when i start 9term, stty intr is reset from ^C to ^?.
> > and if i change it back, then the fn+delete generates
> > escape codes, rather than an interrupt.
>
> Not on my p9p 9term:

uh, looks like you didn't read what i wrote.  that's exactly what
i said.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] p9p backspace/delete in osx
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-09-26 15:50 ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2012-09-26 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

quanstro@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) writes:

>> > the interrupt is delivered through the star wars-vintage
>> > imperial garbage chute known as the tty subsystem, but
>> > when i start 9term, stty intr is reset from ^C to ^?.
>> > and if i change it back, then the fn+delete generates
>> > escape codes, rather than an interrupt.
>>
>> Not on my p9p 9term:
>>

> uh, looks like you didn't read what i wrote.  that's exactly what
> i said.

This is not what's happening: delete (which you type as fn-backspace, I
guess?) always sends the intr char, nevermind what it is set to
(in 9term, not acme!).

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org