* Re: [9fans] no rio ?
@ 2003-07-06 23:27 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-07-06 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rgr, 9fans

- are $monitor and $vgasize set to anything?
- is aux/vga actually loading vga mode?
- if $monitor and $vgasize are set, what happens when you run

	aux/vga -m $monitor -l $vgasize

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2555 bytes --]

From: rgr@sdf.lonestar.org (Rob Ristroph)
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] no rio ?
Date: 06 Jul 2003 16:48:50 -0500

I downloaded the latest plan9.iso.bz2 from the web, and when I
installed it everything went ok, except that after rebooting I got
only the term% prompt and no graphical mode.  I have installed Plan9
on this hardware several times (earlier versions from a week or more
ago).  Also the floppy install had no problems bringing up the
graphical mode.

So I think this might be a glitch with some recent update.

This is the error message:

rio: can't open display: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new: no frame buffer
init: rc exit status: rio 12: display open

init: starting /bin/rc
term%

Has anyone else installing a recent Plan 9 ( in the last week or so )
had a similar problem ?

--Rob

* Re: [9fans] no rio ?
@ 2003-07-08  2:50 ` Rob Ristroph
From: Rob Ristroph @ 2003-07-08  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

David>
David> - are $monitor and $vgasize set to anything?
David> - is aux/vga actually loading vga mode?
David> - if $monitor and $vgasize are set, what happens when you run
David>
David> 	aux/vga -m $monitor -l $vgasizeFrom: rgr@sdf.lonestar.org (Rob Ristroph)
David> Subject: [9fans] no rio ?
David> To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
David> Date: 06 Jul 2003 16:48:50 -0500
David> Reply-To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
David>
David>
David> I downloaded the latest plan9.iso.bz2 from the web, and when I
David> installed it everything went ok, except that after rebooting I got
David> only the term% prompt and no graphical mode.  I have installed Plan9
David> on this hardware several times (earlier versions from a week or more
David> ago).  Also the floppy install had no problems bringing up the
David> graphical mode.
David>
David> So I think this might be a glitch with some recent update.
David>
David> This is the error message:
David>
David> rio: can't open display: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new: no frame buffer
David> init: rc exit status: rio 12: display open
David>
David> init: starting /bin/rc
David> term%
David>
David> Has anyone else installing a recent Plan 9 ( in the last week or so )
David> had a similar problem ?
David>
David> --Rob
David> ----------
David>

I can't answer your questions; I first wiped the machine and installed
another OS to test the hardware, and then I re-downloaded Plan 9 this
morning and tried again; this time Plan 9 won't overwrite the MBR, so
the old OS's bootloader keeps coming up, no matter how many times I do
"bootsetup" from the floppy.  So right now I can't even get to the
term% prompt.

Then I took my last remaining working Plan 9 box and wiped the drive
with dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda with a linux boot floppy, and tried
the latest Plan 9 on it; the install process goes fine and then it
just hangs right after running the BIOS; looking at the boot record
again from the linux floppy confirms that Plan 9 didn't put anything
there.

I made a second floppy and a new CDROM and got the same results, so
it's not my media.  Since installing another OS on the same drive
appears to work fine, I don't think it is my hardware.  I suppose I
could have gotten three successive broken ISO downloads, but it seems
unlikely.

I'm not going to have time to work on this project for a few days, so
I think I'll wait and see if other people have similar problems, and
if not start from scratch again.

--Rob

* Re: [9fans] no rio ?
@ 2003-07-08 10:15   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-07-08 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I can't answer your questions; I first wiped the machine and installed
> another OS to test the hardware, and then I re-downloaded Plan 9 this
> morning and tried again; this time Plan 9 won't overwrite the MBR, so
> the old OS's bootloader keeps coming up, no matter how many times I do
> "bootsetup" from the floppy.  So right now I can't even get to the
> term% prompt.

ahh, i've got into that loop with windows 2000.  in my case it had written
the MBR, but i had forgotten [re]move plan9.ini that it had booted off.

off course, my case was special 'cos this was a USB floppy install
on a VAIO so my plan9.ini was in c:\

once moved to oplan9.ini it booted fine.

* Re: [9fans] no rio ?
@ 2003-07-08 16:50     ` Rob Ristroph
From: Rob Ristroph @ 2003-07-08 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rounin>
>> I can't answer your questions; I first wiped the machine and
>> installed another OS to test the hardware, and then I re-downloaded
>> Plan 9 this morning and tried again; this time Plan 9 won't
>> overwrite the MBR, so the old OS's bootloader keeps coming up, no
>> matter how many times I do "bootsetup" from the floppy.  So right
>> now I can't even get to the term% prompt.
rounin>
rounin> ahh, i've got into that loop with windows 2000.  in my case it
rounin> had written the MBR, but i had forgotten [re]move plan9.ini
rounin> that it had booted off.
rounin>
rounin> off course, my case was special 'cos this was a USB floppy
rounin> install on a VAIO so my plan9.ini was in c:\
rounin>
rounin> once moved to oplan9.ini it booted fine.

I wiped the entire disk so I don't think there is an old plan9.ini
hanging around.  I wiped it with dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda on one
machine, and by re-partitioning the disk and installing linux on the
other.

--Rob

* Re: [9fans] no rio ?
@ 2003-07-06 23:04 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-07-06 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

for starters you may want to boot from the cd and copy the bootdisk from it
onto the 9fat partition; edit plan9.ini there to boot from sdC0!9fat!9pcdisk
and you'll have vga running. at least you won't have to use 'ed' to edit
files :)

the things to check are vgadb (did/vid pair for the video card should be
there -- use the 'pci' command to see the did/vid pair that your hardware
thinks it has), make sure your vga card type is defined in the configuration
file for the kernel -- compile a new kernel and see if that'll work..

andrey

On 6 Jul 2003, Rob Ristroph wrote:

> I downloaded the latest plan9.iso.bz2 from the web, and when I
> installed it everything went ok, except that after rebooting I got
> only the term% prompt and no graphical mode.  I have installed Plan9
> on this hardware several times (earlier versions from a week or more
> ago).  Also the floppy install had no problems bringing up the
> graphical mode.
>
> So I think this might be a glitch with some recent update.
>
> This is the error message:
>
> rio: can't open display: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new: no frame buffer
> init: rc exit status: rio 12: display open
>
> init: starting /bin/rc
> term%
>
> Has anyone else installing a recent Plan 9 ( in the last week or so )
> had a similar problem ?
>
> --Rob

* [9fans] no rio ?
@ 2003-07-06 21:48 Rob Ristroph