* Re: [9fans] Off the shelves plan9-compatible desktop
@ 2003-02-19  2:00 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-02-19  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hmmm.

Besides, I assume that IBM is the only company who has 'three
buttons' mouse pad in their notebook products.    Am I wrong?

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2206 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Off the shelves plan9-compatible desktop
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 20:08:04 -0500

>> ps: the new IBM R30+ laptops all come with Radeon7500 graphics. If mine
>> arrives soon I may report on experiences with that :)
>
> Oh!, Please let us know the results.

don't get your hopes up.  a bunch of people have talked
about writing a radeon7500 driver but i don't know anyone
who has actually started.

* Re: [9fans] Off the shelves plan9-compatible desktop
@ 2003-02-23  5:29 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-02-23  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It'll start to dispatch from March 1, and it's too late for mr this time.
I'll consider it for my regular presentation tool to our students
from the next semester...  It has very affordable listprice, too.☺

Kenji  -- yes, I'm working even at Sunday

* Re: [9fans] Off the shelves plan9-compatible desktop
@ 2003-02-21  7:18 okamoto
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: okamoto @ 2003-02-21  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

As I got tired of debugging, I travelled into internet, and found
Lindows Mobile PC, which may be nice also to Plan 9.
However, I cann't figure it out whether it has 3 button mouse pad.
It looks like so...
12.1" 1024x768 TFT
VIA C3 933 MHz Processor,   <--- what's that?
VIA VT8606(Twister-T) + VT82C686B chipset,
Savage 4 AGP (which Russ's favurite chip?),
Realtek 10/100 LAN chip,
20GB ATA HDD
Lindows3.0 OS <---- what's it?

10.43x8.66x0.91" AND 2.9lbs (1.6kg)!

any opinion?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Off the shelves plan9-compatible desktop
@ 2003-02-19  2:54 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-02-19  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The current one I'm having has had its fair amount of falling off the table,
> cat chewing on the cable and munching chips while checking email, and the fact
> that its still surviving is speaking for itself.

I've never had such experience. ?
However, my Toshiba Tecra's cooling fan was dead...
I need more memory, such as 128 or 256MB for graphics.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Off the shelves plan9-compatible desktop
@ 2003-02-19  1:03 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-02-19  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ps: the new IBM R30+ laptops all come with Radeon7500 graphics. If mine
> arrives soon I may report on experiences with that :)

Oh!, Please let us know the results.
I may have to get one for presentation...
My Toshiba is too old now (48MB memory ;_;).

Kenji

* [9fans] Off the shelves plan9-compatible desktop
@ 2003-02-18 18:13 jj
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: jj @ 2003-02-18 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

All,

I am planing on getting a new PC and was really interested in
intalling plan9 as the OS.

I would prefer to avoid building my own PC from compatible parts. So I
was wondering if people here had successsfully installed plan 9 on a
'off-the-shelves' PC (brand - model) and if they had any advice.
Sorry for the 'not-even-a-newbie-yet' question and thank you for the
help.

jj