* [9fans] telnet/auth question
@ 2003-02-13 16:03 Will
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Will @ 2003-02-13 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In telneting (or con'ing) into a my plan-9 auth server from unix, I
get the securenet challenge/response thing. This seems to match the
securenet man page. I also get the challenge/response prompts when I
attempt to telnet in from a plan-9 machine. Is this correct?

Somewhat related: cpu and auth/login work fine and give the plan-9
authorization prompts as expected.

Thanks to all,

and to the person who asked why use plan-9: Don't ever stop learning
new things. It keeps life much more interesting.

Will

* Re: [9fans] telnet/auth question
@ 2003-02-13 16:10 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-02-13 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> In telneting (or con'ing) into a my plan-9 auth server from unix, I
> get the securenet challenge/response thing. This seems to match the
> securenet man page. I also get the challenge/response prompts when I
> attempt to telnet in from a plan-9 machine. Is this correct?

yes, that's correct.

* Re: [9fans] telnet/auth question
@ 2003-02-13 16:11 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-02-13 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

That's correct, we're paranoids.  You can run netkey to encrypt
the challenge and send then type that in.  For a Unix netkey
look at the plan9 /sys/src/cmd/unix/netkey directory.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1978 bytes --]

From: Will <collumww@yahoo.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] telnet/auth question
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:03:55 GMT

@ 2003-02-13 16:13 ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-02-13 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It looks fine.
You have netkey binaries for linux windows and palm OS. They're nice
to telnet from remote systems. Use google to locate them (I think they're
at forsyth's site but I'm not sure).

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1886 bytes --]

From: Will <collumww@yahoo.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:03:55 GMT

@ 2003-02-13 16:17   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-02-13 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

dave means /sys/src/cmd/unix/netkey.c,
which i just created.

http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~rsc/netkey.c
has an exportable version by kenji arisawa (it links against bsd
des routines),
http://www.caldo.demon.co.uk/plan9/soft/netkey.html
has some precompiled binaries, and
http://www.cotswold.demon.co.uk/dist/netkey/
has a tweak of kenji's routines to use openssl.