* Re: [9fans] Netbook Install Help
       [not found]       ` <1de0a12e-51f4-4b41-b49e-085c5705f734@z11g2000yqz.googlegroups.co>
@ 2010-02-25  9:39         ` Purple_Q
From: Purple_Q @ 2010-02-25  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Well, I tried those commands and it did me no justice. I don't know
how to change the driver you speak of so I'm thinking i'll have to
give up on getting native Plan9 onto this netbook.

I tried an experiment with both success and failure;
in my bios, I have an option to change "sata controller mode" from
achi to ide. I tried changing that and then the plan9 installer can
see my hard disk, however, the failure is that in that mode, I cannot
boot FreeBSD, it just freezes the system almost right away. Go figure :
( At least I have it working on my other system.

Do you know if Bell Labs is still developing Plan9? Will we ever see a
5th edition?

* Re: [9fans] Netbook Install Help
@ 2010-02-25 10:13           ` John Stalker
From: John Stalker @ 2010-02-25 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I tried an experiment with both success and failure;
> in my bios, I have an option to change "sata controller mode" from
> achi to ide. I tried changing that and then the plan9 installer can
> see my hard disk, however, the failure is that in that mode, I cannot
> boot FreeBSD, it just freezes the system almost right away. Go figure :
> ( At least I have it working on my other system.

Probably switching from ahci to ide has caused your root partition
to appear on a different device node.  If that's the problem then
you can fix it by telling the FreeBSD loader explicitly where to
find the root partition.  Then you can boot, at least into single
user mode, and change your /etc/fstab to match the new drive
numbering.  Exactly where in the boot sequence is FreeBSD freezing?
--
John Stalker
School of Mathematics

* Re: [9fans] Netbook Install Help
@ 2010-02-25 11:27           ` Purple_Q
From: Purple_Q @ 2010-02-25 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hmm, might be slightly above my head (I don't know what a node is).
That aside, the boot loader fires up fine, and it makes it to what I
believe is near the end of the boot sequence in fact. ad0 is my hard
disk;
queuevonqu.com/bsderr.jpg

My pardons if that's hard to read. Those messages at the bottom, it
just loops those over and over, slowly.

Is this what happens if numbering has changed or is this something
else? If it looks exactly that way to you, perhaps you can tell me how
I might go about finding out the new numbers/locations when set up to
"ide" as opposed to "ahci". Perhaps booting off the thumb image I used
to install FreeBSD in the first place? I do at least know how to edit
the fstab should I get that far.

Thank you.

* Re: [9fans] Netbook Install Help
@ 2010-02-25 12:18             ` erik quanstrom
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-02-25 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Feb 25 06:29:21 EST 2010, bitpusher2600@gmail.com wrote:
> Hmm, might be slightly above my head (I don't know what a node is).
> That aside, the boot loader fires up fine, and it makes it to what I
> believe is near the end of the boot sequence in fact. ad0 is my hard
> disk;
> queuevonqu.com/bsderr.jpg

that's not plan 9, but it looks like a drive failure.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Netbook Install Help
@ 2010-02-25 12:24               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-02-25 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Feb 25 07:19:14 EST 2010, quanstro@quanstro.net wrote:
> On Thu Feb 25 06:29:21 EST 2010, bitpusher2600@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hmm, might be slightly above my head (I don't know what a node is).
> > That aside, the boot loader fires up fine, and it makes it to what I
> > believe is near the end of the boot sequence in fact. ad0 is my hard
> > disk;
> > queuevonqu.com/bsderr.jpg
>
> that's not plan 9, but it looks like a drive failure.

too quick on the trigger finger.  i think i understand
correctly that the same drive works fine if the southbridge
is in ide mode.  in that case, i'm not sure what's going on.
the drive is identifying correctly, but read/write commands
fail.  if we assume that this kernel uses interrupts to identify
the drive, then the problem isn't interrupts, it's that the
read/write commands are failing.  that really does look
like drive failure, and i'd be pretty surprised if the drive
worked in ide mode.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Netbook Install Help
@ 2010-02-25 13:37               ` Purple_Q
From: Purple_Q @ 2010-02-25 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry Erik, that particular message was intended for John.
I had mentioned that changing sata controller settings in my bios from
ahci to ide allowed plan9 to see my hard drive but killed FreeBSD. He
asked at what point in the boot sequence this was happening, so I
posted it to show him.

I can't get BSD to work if I set that to ide. Weird eh?

From: Purple_Q @ 2010-02-25 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Oops. My own trigger finger, sorry.

Yeah, the drive is just fine if set in the bios to ahci, but plan9
can't see it. If I set it to IDE, plan9 can see it but it gives BSD
the errors you see in the image. Weird.

@ 2010-02-25 18:21                 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2010-02-25 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

that mus be a miracle

@ 2010-02-24 19:01         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-02-24 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > try this.  at the install prompt, type "!rc".  then at the rc prompt
> > type "cat /dev/sdctl".  the output should be interesting.
>
> queuevonqu.com/9boot_a.jpg

okay.  so it sees your controller, but not the drives. there
are a couple reasons this might be.

- power management.  perhaps the drive is using PUIS.
you might try at the rc prompt
	echo reset>/dev/sdE1/ctl
	echo reset>/dev/sdE0/ctl
and then try to continue with the install.  the
contents of /dev/sdE?/ctl will be interesting.

- originally, the ahci driver had trouble with ports that
weren't contiguous.  ahci allows drives to be missing.
e.g. drive 0 and 3 exist, but not 1 or 2.  if this is the problem,
you'll just have to use a more recent driver.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Netbook Install Help
@ 2010-02-24 16:58       ` Purple_Q
       [not found]       ` <1de0a12e-51f4-4b41-b49e-085c5705f734@z11g2000yqz.googlegroups.co>
From: Purple_Q @ 2010-02-24 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2010-02-24 15:55       ` erik quanstrom
       [not found]       ` <1de0a12e-51f4-4b41-b49e-085c5705f734@z11g2000yqz.googlegroups.co>
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-02-24 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Feb 24 10:06:05 EST 2010, bitpusher2600@gmail.com wrote:
> It doesn't matter if I choose yes or no, the end result is the same.
> It asks for mouse port, resolution and screen, then goes into rio.
> When it comes time to partition, it says "no disk device is available,
> installation cannot continue".

try this.  at the install prompt, type "!rc".  then at the rc prompt
type "cat /dev/sdctl".  the output should be interesting.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Netbook Install Help
@ 2010-02-24 14:46     ` Purple_Q
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Purple_Q @ 2010-02-24 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2010-02-24 13:06     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-02-24 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Feb 24 05:19:28 EST 2010, bitpusher2600@gmail.com wrote:
> I must not have made the last post correctly, so i'll try again :
> ( Sorry if this turns into a double post.
> Anyway, these pics are the output "sitting still" after booting from
> the usb stick image:
> www.queuevonqu.com/9boot2.jpg
> www.queuevonqu.com/9boot3.jpg
>
> And this is booting from the usb-cdrom drive:
> www.queuevonqu.com/9boot4.jpg

with the thumb drive, what happens when you
hit enter at the "use DMA for ide" prompt?

with the cdrom, your machine is hanging because 9load
isn't properly probing the ahci drives.  bios has left ahci
in a funky power state.  early versions
of ahci for 9load had a lot of drouble with power
mgnt because i originally wrote it for version 0.95 of
the spec, which didn't have any.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Netbook Install Help
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-02-24 10:10   ` Purple_Q
From: Purple_Q @ 2010-02-24 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2010-02-23 17:50   ` Purple_Q
From: Purple_Q @ 2010-02-23 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm not overly concerned about the network card, so no worries.
As far as the bootup, which do you want to see, from Lucho's image or
from usb-cdrom?

Also, the usb stick is big enough to put the actual cd .iso file onto
if that will allow me to install the distribution itself that way.

* Re: [9fans] Netbook Install Help
@ 2010-02-23 16:27   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-02-23 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i converted your bsd pci output to something i could
get a handle on:

; pci `{hget http://www.queuevonqu.com/pciconf.html | htmlfmt | awk '{print $4}' | sed 's;chip=0x(....)(....);\2/\1;g' }
8086/27ac
	Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub
8086/27ae
	Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller
8086/27a6
	Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
8086/27d8
	Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
8086/27d0
	Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1
8086/27d2
	Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2
8086/27d4
	Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3
8086/27d6
	Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4
8086/2448
	Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
8086/27b9
	Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge
8086/27c5
	Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller
8086/27da
	Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller
14e4/4315
	Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g
1969/1062
	Attansic Technology Corp. Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

could you send me a screenshot of what your boot screen
looks like?

thanks

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Netbook Install Help
@ 2010-02-23 16:24   ` erik quanstrom
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-02-23 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the attensec l1c is not supported.  very sorry about that.
i don't have any attensec/atheros hardware.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Netbook Install Help
       [not found] <52d0fffa-513e-4ff4-855b-955a93794b07@c10g2000vbr.googlegroups.co>
@ 2010-02-23 16:17 ` Purple_Q
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Purple_Q @ 2010-02-23 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

How do you mean? Should I boot from Lucho's thumb image or via usb
cdrom?
Since you quoted my first paragraph regarding Lucho's image, I booted
from it. I don't have an lscpi, so I ran pciconf (FreeBSD) and I ran
pci from the plan 9 bootup.

pciconf output here:
www.queuevonqu.com/pciconf.html

Plan9 pci command here:
www.queuevonqu.com/9boot.jpg
(I had to take this from my camera because I don't have another way of
copying this output).

I should point out too that i'm reasonably sure the Atheros card in
this laptop is not supported; doesn't Lucho's image require and
internet connection to install the distribution? Or can I also use the
usb cdrom drive in this somehow?

As I said, when I boot off the usb cdrom drive, I never get to the
gui. :(

@ 2010-02-22 17:40 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-02-22 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Greets.
> I fired up the image provided by Lucho.
> When I get to the gui and go to do the partitioning, it says there is
> no disk device. Apparently, it can't see my hard drive. I just unboxed
> this laptop about an hour ago so I perhaps the drive is sata and it
> can't see it or something?

coud you send me the output of lspci -n or pci offline

- erik

* [9fans] Netbook Install Help
@ 2010-02-22  9:57 Purple_Q
From: Purple_Q @ 2010-02-22  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Greets.
I fired up the image provided by Lucho.
When I get to the gui and go to do the partitioning, it says there is
no disk device. Apparently, it can't see my hard drive. I just unboxed
this laptop about an hour ago so I perhaps the drive is sata and it
can't see it or something?

Also, I have a usb cdrom drive, and when it begins to fire up, the
first thing it asks for is "boot from", and above that, it says
something like "boot devices: fd0". I type that and it says the syntax
should be fd0!file
(don't know what that means). Can anyone help me get this going? Purty-
please :)
Thanks fellas.