* [9fans] I found this discussion pretty funny
@ 2012-10-17 13:40 ron minnich
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2012-10-17 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

get to the part about why it's so great that pipe is a system call,
not a device.

This is the sort of back-and-forth that reminds me why I can't quite
give up on plan 9 ...

http://yarchive.net/comp/linux/everything_is_file.html

"Do we create pipes by opening /dev/pipe? No. "

and

"Yes, some old-timers could argue that original UNIX didn't have sockets,
and that the BSD interface is ugly and an abomination and that it _should_
have been a namespace thing, but that argument falls flat on its face when
you realize that the "pipe()" system call _was_ in original UNIX, and has
all the same issues."

ah well. It seems that the guy who wrote pipe() might not agree that
he does not know much about Unix ... but so it goes.

ron