* Re: [9fans] Anatomy of a vblade image
@ 2008-07-15 16:23 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-07-15 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jcwjr215, 9fans

> Indeed,
> I have been toying around with the idea of building a larger scale
> version of Mr. Minnich's lunchbox using Mini-ITX boards..
> But I have no justification, since virtually everything i need to do
> with plan 9 happens impossibly fast on just a simple vmware instance.
> Plan9 is sufficiently speedy to stifle my desire to build a fast system.

small pcs price/performance ratio is too high for me if all i want is a pc.
it's hard to beat a $50 motherboard and a $34 processor.

but for other small appliance-y things, some very-low power mips or arm
boards are attactive.

- erik

[parent not found: <bcf6455ae643bb5cb35cb1b7877e2401@quanstro.net>]
* Re: [9fans] Anatomy of a vblade image
@ 2008-07-11 12:31 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-07-11 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mattmobile, 9fans

> I shuold just mail quanstro I guess but maybe someone made a tool
>
> /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/src/vblade
>
> The vblades served by this particular vblade require some magic in the
> first few bytes.
> Vblade on other platforms will quite happily serve a bunch of zeros
>
> Anybody got a script for making an empty vlbade image for serving with
> the above vblade ?
>
> Save me making one :)

plan 9 vblade is a clean room implementation.  friday
evening entertainment. :-)

so i use a header which has magic, size, configuration
string, and the shelf and slot of the vblade.  vblade
checks this magic on startup to determine these parameters.
however you can use the -i switch to initialize a blank
file.  (you're free to use a raw disk or partition, too.)

- erik

* [9fans] Anatomy of a vblade image
@ 2008-07-11 12:23 matt