* [9fans] hehe bad to worse
@ 2001-05-09  9:48 matt
From: matt @ 2001-05-09  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hullo 9fans,

  So I abandoned my update plan and thought ah well, I'll just
  download the latest version and start again, I've not really done
  anything yet so I won't lose much.

  It all goes swimmingly until I reboot the fresh install :

  MBR...PBS...Bad format or I/O error
  Press almost any key to reboot...

  If I send £100 to Boyd maybe he'll jump on Eurostar and come shoot
  me and put me out of my misery.

  Anyone got a better idea?

--
 If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate. -- Steven Wright

 matt                          mailto:matt@proweb.co.uk

* Re: [9fans] hehe bad to worse
@ 2001-05-10  5:17 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-05-10  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>   If I send £100 to Boyd maybe he'll jump on Eurostar and come shoot
>   me and put me out of my misery.

the eurostar is a deathtrap.

my contract states i cannot work for anybody else (ie. no payment).

i have a slight firefight here to deal with first.

£100?  nope.  £1000/day.

* Re: [9fans] hehe bad to worse
@ 2001-05-10 15:15 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-05-10 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

matt wrote:
>   It all goes swimmingly until I reboot the fresh install :
>   MBR...PBS...Bad format or I/O error
>   Press almost any key to reboot...

I've seen that more times than I care to recall;
in my case it has always been associated with installing
any form of Plan 9 boot *other* than partition boot.
Of course, partition boot will lose your other OS
boot, but since I'm using System Commander I can fix
that by booting a rescue floppy and re-initing SC.

* Re[2]: [9fans] hehe bad to worse
@ 2001-05-10 15:36   ` Matt H
From: Matt H @ 2001-05-10 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas A. Gwyn

Hello Douglas,

DAG> matt wrote:
>>   It all goes swimmingly until I reboot the fresh install :
>>   MBR...PBS...Bad format or I/O error
>>   Press almost any key to reboot...

DAG> I've seen that more times than I care to recall;
DAG> in my case it has always been associated with installing
DAG> any form of Plan 9 boot *other* than partition boot.
DAG> Of course, partition boot will lose your other OS
DAG> boot, but since I'm using System Commander I can fix
DAG> that by booting a rescue floppy and re-initing SC.

no, it's a blank disk.

The Aug2000 CD install works just fine. If I use the current I get "Bad
Format"

applying the updates to this install I get

cpu% mk 'CONF=pccpudisk' 9pccpudisk
mk: don't know how to make 'segment.h'
cpu%

When I try the updates I get "version newer than update" messages for
quite a few important sounding files.

Is there a way of downlaoding the full CURRENT source rather than
incremental updates? and then do a make world equivalent?

--
Best regards,
 Matt                            mailto:matt@proweb.co.uk

* Re: Re[2]: [9fans] hehe bad to worse
@ 2001-05-10 18:00 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-05-10 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you've managed to do all the wraps in order, nothing has to
be changed.

I made two mistakes in the last wrap that canceled each other out:

- port/segment.h should have been removed
- portmkfile should have been fixed to not have segment.$O depend
  on it any more

I didn't put either in so following the wraps, things should
continue to compile OK, albeit with a file that doesn't need to be there.
It could confuse someone that changes segment.h and then notices that the
change doesn't make it into the resulting kernel.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2848 bytes --]

From: Axel Belinfante <Axel.Belinfante@cs.utwente.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [9fans] hehe bad to worse
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 19:47:05 +0200

Now I'm slightly confused. My /sys/src/9/port/portmkfile contains

	segment.$O: ../port/segment.h

This is the line that is to be deleted, I assume, or???

For the record, AFAIK I succesfully applied both wraps, and succeeded
to remake everything, including kernels.

Axel.

@ 2001-05-10 17:47 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2001-05-10 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-05-10 16:27 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-05-10 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-05-09 14:43 ` Matt H
From: Matt H @ 2001-05-09 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox

Hello Russ,

RC> did you install in a partition located
RC> more than 8GB into the disk?

nope, it's a 20Gb ide and plan9 has it all, auto partitioned

9fat 0- 20482            (10Mb)
fs 20482 - 39781066      (18.95Mb)
nvram 39781066 - 39781067 (521 B)
swap 39781067 - 39857202  (37.17Mb)

It worked just fine with the same setup for Aug2000 CD Distribution -
which I'm currently installing again to see if the hard disk has
broken in the meantime 8)

--

 Matt                            mailto:matt@proweb.co.uk