* [9fans] Plan 9 installation disc question
@ 2007-10-23 19:18 Pietro Gagliardi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-10-23 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello. I have a simple question about the installation disc: it
didn't work on my iMac because it stuck on the second line with some
four letter word followed by 0C00. I'm not sure what that means, but
I think it is because it's trying to boot x86-32 when my iMac is
x86-64. Is there a separate installation disc for each processor
architecture? Thanks.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 installation disc question
@ 2007-10-23 22:27 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-10-23 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hello. I have a simple question about the installation disc: it
> didn't work on my iMac because it stuck on the second line with some
> four letter word followed by 0C00. I'm not sure what that means, but
> I think it is because it's trying to boot x86-32 when my iMac is
> x86-64. Is there a separate installation disc for each processor
> architecture? Thanks.

x86-64 is compatable with x86-32 in 32-bit mode.  one has to fiddle
cr registers &c to turn on 64-bit mode, just like one has to fiddle
cr registers &c to turn on 32-bit mode.  (maybe efi does this for you.
i don't know.)

since the plan 9 pc kernel doesn't do any 64-bit mode stuff, this should
not be the issue.

the four-letter word is ELCR.  0x0000 -> all edge-triggered 8259 irqs.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 installation disc question
@ 2007-10-23 22:32 ` David Leimbach
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-10-23 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/23/07, Pietro Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com> wrote:

> Hello. I have a simple question about the installation disc: it
> didn't work on my iMac because it stuck on the second line with some
> four letter word followed by 0C00. I'm not sure what that means, but
> I think it is because it's trying to boot x86-32 when my iMac is
> x86-64. Is there a separate installation disc for each processor
> architecture? Thanks.

Mac OS X is still 32bit last I checked.  You're likely having an EFI related
issue.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 installation disc question
@ 2007-10-23 22:36   ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-10-23 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Exactly what issue I am having is unknown to me. Does anyone know any
place I can ask?

PS - I originally wanted to install Plan 9 on my iMac but after that
didn't help (it froze at ELCR : 0C00 - not 0000) I wound up going to
my basement computer, a Dell Dimension 2400 with Edubuntu (a Linux
distro for educational purposes) and successfully installed and
initialized Plan 9 from Bell Labs. But the Broadcom chip thing and
having to go upstairs/downstairs is not my idea of a fun day
experimenting :-)

PSS - The Intel chips are 64-bit ready, otherwise they wouldn't run
OS X Leopard! :-)

@ 2007-10-23 22:40   ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2007-10-23 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2007-Oct-23, at 15:32 , David Leimbach wrote:

> Mac OS X is still 32bit last I checked.

That changes on Oct. 26 :-)

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 installation disc question
@ 2007-10-23 22:40     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-10-23 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/23/07, Pietro Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com> wrote:

> Exactly what issue I am having is unknown to me. Does anyone know any
> place I can ask?
>
> PS - I originally wanted to install Plan 9 on my iMac but after that
> didn't help (it froze at ELCR : 0C00 - not 0000) I wound up going to
> my basement computer, a Dell Dimension 2400 with Edubuntu (a Linux
> distro for educational purposes) and successfully installed and
> initialized Plan 9 from Bell Labs. But the Broadcom chip thing and
> having to go upstairs/downstairs is not my idea of a fun day
> experimenting :-)

Hmmm use drawterm from the Mac?

I'm having no fun trying to get Plan 9 on VMWare Fusion either :-)

> PSS - The Intel chips are 64-bit ready, otherwise they wouldn't run
> OS X Leopard! :-)

That's not true either.  Early imacs, macbooks, and macbook pros weren't
Core2Duos which means they're 32bit only.

Leopard will support 32bit, 64bit Intel and PPC platforms within the last
few years.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 installation disc question
@ 2007-10-24  3:32   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2007-10-24  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Mac OS X is still 32bit last I checked.  You're likely having an EFI related
> issue.

MacOS X 10.4.9+ is already 64 bit capable, at least on the
MacBook Pro

$ sysctl machdep.cpu.brand_string
machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7400  @ 2.16GHz

$ sysctl hw.optional.x86_64
hw.optional.x86_64: 1

$ cat > ilp.c <EOF
#include <stdio.h>
int main(int c, char**v) {
    printf("i:%d l:%d ll:%d p:%d\n",
	   sizeof(int), sizeof(long), sizeof(long long), sizeof(void*));
}
EOF

$ cc -m32 ilp.c -o ilp4
$ cc -m64 ilp.c -o ilp8

$ file ilp4 ilp8
ilp4: Mach-O executable i386
ilp8: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

$ ilp4
i:4 l:4 L:8 p:4
$ ilp8
i:4 l:8 L:8 p:8

* [9fans] old things
@ 2007-10-24 10:18 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2007-10-24 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i thought a few others on the list might be interested in this one (unless you're Jeff Sengstack,
who hated it)

http://www.amazon.com/Core-Memory-Visual-Vintage-Computers/dp/0811854426/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-6107134-4632847?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180826552&sr=8-1

amazon's key phrases are a little odd:

 Key Phrases: core memory, Gene Amdahl, Defense Department, World War

i see that it offers a unique description of the first production Google machine, too

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 installation disc question
@ 2007-10-24 16:30     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-10-24 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/23/07, Bakul Shah <bakul+plan9@bitblocks.com> wrote:

> > Mac OS X is still 32bit last I checked.  You're likely having an EFI
> related
> > issue.
>
> MacOS X 10.4.9+ is already 64 bit capable, at least on the
> MacBook Pro
>
> $ sysctl machdep.cpu.brand_string
> machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7400  @ 2.16GHz
>
> $ sysctl hw.optional.x86_64
> hw.optional.x86_64: 1
>
> $ cat > ilp.c <EOF
> #include <stdio.h>
> int main(int c, char**v) {
>     printf("i:%d l:%d ll:%d p:%d\n",
>            sizeof(int), sizeof(long), sizeof(long long), sizeof(void*));
> }
> EOF
>
> $ cc -m32 ilp.c -o ilp4
> $ cc -m64 ilp.c -o ilp8
>
> $ file ilp4 ilp8
> ilp4: Mach-O executable i386
> ilp8: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
>
> $ ilp4
> i:4 l:4 L:8 p:4
> $ ilp8
> i:4 l:8 L:8 p:8

it's increasingly offtopic but yes :-)

The whole system is not 64bit end to end.  Objective C and Cocoa aren't yet
64bit, and I've yet to fail to get alignment errors with certain C memory
allocation functions on my MBP with Tiger.

I hope it's all fixed Friday, not that I see me using 64bit apps too much, I
don't think I have enough RAM, even if the extra registers give me a bit of
a performance boost  :-)

Dave

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 installation disc question
@ 2007-10-24 19:14       ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-10-24 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

OK, that's fine. So I still don't know what is wrong, but I'll try
drawterm when I get Plan 9 up on the network (see my Broadcom emails;
I'm buying a card soon)

@ 2007-10-24 19:22         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-10-24 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/24/07, Pietro Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com> wrote:

> OK, that's fine. So I still don't know what is wrong, but I'll try
> drawterm when I get Plan 9 up on the network (see my Broadcom emails;
> I'm buying a card soon)

I gave up on graphics for VMWare Fusion Plan 9, going to resort to drawterm
I think.  However my venti is hanging and the CPU on my MBP is getting
awfully fast on the first boot after install and I login with glenda.

@ 2007-10-24 19:25           ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-10-24 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I was trying this out via Boot Camp, and it stuck before the CD menu
even showed up. At least you got it booting! :-)