* [9fans] terminal types and photos?
@ 2004-03-15 10:43 Derek Peschel
From: Derek Peschel @ 2004-03-15 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 From keyboard(6) and "The Various Ports" I came up with this list of terminals
that Plan 9 has supported:

Carerra
Gnot
PC
Alpha PC
Viaduct
NeXT
SLC (is that a Sun?)
SparcStation 2
Magnum

Is that all?  Does anyone have photos of the custom ones?  If you combined
all the features that Plan 9 programs expect from the keyboard, what would
the result look like and what would it send to the computer?

Personally, I think a keyboard should simply send up/down messages and let
the computer do the decoding.  It should also have enough modifier keys
to allow at least 256 characters to be sent.  When it's appropriate, programs
should accept key sequences rather than ASCII characters since Control-Shift-A
may be useful.  I'm not advocating Emacs or anything like it (it's based on
constant hacking rather than planning) but I don't want to give up keyboard-
controlled programs, or the right to use any sequences I can type.  I'm also
not saying every command or character should be typable in one stroke.

I know many 9fans prefer mice.  I would need a mouse pointer I can see,
and a set of mouse gestures that allows me to work with structured data,
before I could change.  I do think mice win when you are doing work that may
involve any part of the screen.

-- Derek

* Re: [9fans] terminal types and photos?
@ 2004-03-15 15:45 Richard C Bilson
From: Richard C Bilson @ 2004-03-15 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> From: Geoff Collyer <geoff@collyer.net>
>
> I was thinking of the MIPS-based NCDs.  I haven't looked at
> their current product line.

I've always taken an interest in these since they've traditionally been
cheaply available used around here, as the university migrates away
from them.  I've never been able to find sufficient technical
documentation to enable me to write anything for them, unfortunately.
Now the screen on mine is fading, which means that it will probably end
up in the dumpster the next time it gets in my way.