* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-23 19:58 Dennis Ritchie
From: Dennis Ritchie @ 2003-09-23 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It turns out that the Lucent gateway does a
not-too-bad job of filtering at least some
viruses, and also .exe . They do forward the mail
along with a note.  So during the last go-around
I added a simple

	'pass through our email gateway' /mail/box/dmr/virus \

to my pipeto.  Works pretty well.  This is
even without the newer stuff Russ & Dave are
working on.

	Dennis

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-24 15:35           ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2003-09-24 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Either you're a spammer or I don't like you or I don't know you.

Cute.

--Joel

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-24 15:12             ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-24 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Either you're a spammer or I don't like you or I don't know you.

so, do it and i might 'like you' :)

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-24 14:50         ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-24 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> good idea - ignore ignorethispart in my address.

nope, mail boyd@sdgm.net and see.

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-24 14:20       ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2003-09-24 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

boyd, rounin said:
> not @sdgm.net

good idea - ignore ignorethispart in my address.

when email address trawlers can filter out all the user@SPAMTRAP.domain,
have they passed the turing test?

--Joel

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-24 12:50           ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-24 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > touché
>
> touchy

it means wounded/shot too.  i wanna shoot these fools.

* RE: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-24  9:35 Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2003-09-24  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Maybe its slowing down.

Yes, it's fading away.

Tiit

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-24  9:30         ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-09-24  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Sep 24 05:26:45 EDT 2003, boyd@insultant.net wrote:
> > touche!
>
> touché

touchy

By the way, at 05:25:06, our site went 11 whole seconds without
an attempt to mail us the virus.  Longest we've gone in a while.
Maybe its slowing down.

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-24  9:23       ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-24  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> touche!

touché

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-24  9:22     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-24  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

not @sdgm.net

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-24  9:06   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-24  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Adjust your meds.

yeah, in my pharmacological opinion you need IV Thioridazine.

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-24  8:55   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-24  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I say we all get together, and make a class-action suit against
> Microsoft for writing operating systems that permit such nonsense.

run plan 9 run , not lunix.

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-24  8:54 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-24  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I say we all get together, and make a class-action suit against
> Microsoft for writing operating systems that permit such nonsense.

nope, i say we try my smtp level connection killer.

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-23 18:56   ` vdharani
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: vdharani @ 2003-09-23 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I am also getting a lot of emails everyday that claims to be from
Microsoft. Is it that all the people in 9fans list are affected?

Unfortunately, I use squirrelmail to read my mails. So I have to delete all
the junk mails manually.

Thanks
dharani

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-23 18:49     ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2003-09-23 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I was getting blasted by these a week ago.  I have the plan9
nasty gram in place for my normal ID, but was getting them thru
some side accounts I have.  So, for those, I wrote a check
to make sure the mail had my name in the To: or CC:, otherwise
I just ditched it.  Haven't seen one since.

Borf.com gets close to 200,000 emails a day for the cross product
of all known account names and all known domain names.  It made
a real good test for my new NAPT software. :)

Brantley

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:56:45 -0400 (EDT), <vdharani@infernopark.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am also getting a lot of emails everyday that claims to be from
> Microsoft. Is it that all the people in 9fans list are affected?
>
> Unfortunately, I use squirrelmail to read my mails. So I have to delete all
> the junk mails manually.
>
> Thanks
> dharani

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-23 18:05     ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-09-23 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Dan Cross wrote:

> Jim Choate <ravage@einstein.ssz.com> writes:
> > Adjust your meds.
>
> Jim, you're projecting!

Not at all, just tired of the witch hunt. Complaints that are nothing more
than appeals to popular opinion are bogus. And the current societal
discussion is nothing more than that. My fellings are hurt, you do
something about it.

What a lazy, irresponsible attitude.

 -- --

God exists because mathematics is consistent, and the Devil exist because we
can't prove it.
                          Andre Weil, in H. Eves, Mathematical Circles Adieu

      ravage@ssz.com                            jchoate@open-forge.com
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.com

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-23 17:43     ` Andrew
From: Andrew @ 2003-09-23 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

im getting tons of them (over 9mb just last night), a friend of mine
had the idea to filter out attachments with .bat .exe .pif .scr and
.com extensions on them (since he doesnt get any of those from people
he knows). Its worked pretty well for me.

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 02:56:45PM -0400, vdharani@infernopark.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am also getting a lot of emails everyday that claims to be from
> Microsoft. Is it that all the people in 9fans list are affected?
>
> Unfortunately, I use squirrelmail to read my mails. So I have to delete all
> the junk mails manually.
>
> Thanks
> dharani

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-23 17:27   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-09-23 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Jim Choate <ravage@einstein.ssz.com> writes:
> Adjust your meds.

Jim, you're projecting!

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-23 16:39 ` Jim Choate
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-09-23 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Laura Creighton wrote:

> I say we all get together, and make a class-action suit against
> Microsoft for writing operating systems that permit such nonsense.
> Write this up so that after we deduct our legal costs, we send all
> the money we are awarded to Amnesty International, or the Red Cross or
> something.

Adjust your meds.

 -- --

@ 2003-09-23 16:03 ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2003-09-23 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 05:53:09PM +0200, Laura Creighton wrote:
> Well, I had the misfortune to once write a python PEP.  Now I am
> still getting 2 - 3 *thousand* of the things _every day_, and so
> are the other PEP writers I have spoken with.  Thank you, thank
> you Stephen R. van den Berg for procmail.  Never needed it more.
>
> I say we all get together, and make a class-action suit against
> Microsoft for writing operating systems that permit such nonsense.
> Write this up so that after we deduct our legal costs, we send all
> the money we are awarded to Amnesty International, or the Red Cross or
> something.

Hear Hear!  I'm not as bad off and a hacked copy of upas running on unix
is enough to let me reject the vast majority of the crud on the basis of
SHA1 hash alone, but still it is a real pisser to be wasting resources
on this much junk.

* [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-23 15:53 Laura Creighton
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Laura Creighton @ 2003-09-23 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: lac

Well, I had the misfortune to once write a python PEP.  Now I am
still getting 2 - 3 *thousand* of the things _every day_, and so
are the other PEP writers I have spoken with.  Thank you, thank
you Stephen R. van den Berg for procmail.  Never needed it more.

I say we all get together, and make a class-action suit against
Microsoft for writing operating systems that permit such nonsense.
Write this up so that after we deduct our legal costs, we send all
the money we are awarded to Amnesty International, or the Red Cross or
something.

Laura

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-23 10:40     ` D. Brownlee
From: D. Brownlee @ 2003-09-23 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

touche!

Dan Cross wrote:
> Jim Choate <ravage@einstein.ssz.com> writes:
>
>>Adjust your meds.
>

> Jim, you're projecting!
>
> 	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] hardest hit ...
@ 2003-09-23  9:22   ` D. Brownlee
From: D. Brownlee @ 2003-09-23  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

alot of people have an ISP that limits
the size of the incoming mailbox. mine
was good enough to jam through an email
telling me that mine was filled, so I
used their mail software to empty
it, but it looks as though I must do
that, now, every morning. noticed
that the bayesian filter of Mozilla 1.4
is very effective with all the stuff that
purports to be from microsoft ...

- Don