* [9fans] 9vx and native networking
@ 2009-02-11  9:50 prem
From: prem @ 2009-02-11  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi All,
could somebody tell me how to use native networking with 9vx?
I tried various methods using tun/tap driver on Linux but no luck. I
managed to get a /dev/ether0 in 9vx but ip/ping or ip/ipconfig etc
doesn't work.
probably its worth putting things at someplace for people to tryout.
I am a networking noob so no idea how tun/tap exactly works.

/Prem

* Re: [9fans] 9vx and native networking
@ 2009-02-11 12:23 ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2009-02-11 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Devon got this working for him about a month and a half ago; see this message:
http://9fans.net/archive/2008/12/501
I've still not made it work for me (on OS X), but i think the issues
are actually in changes outside the ethernet stuff. I haven't had much
time to dig in.

* Re: [9fans] 9vx and native networking
@ 2009-02-11 12:52   ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-02-11 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

No idea why it wouldn't work in OS X. If you can give me an account on
an OS X machine, I might be able to help a bit more. Should already
work in Linux and FreeBSD per default, but also theoretically anything
that supports pcap and can compile 9vx.

--dho

@ 2009-02-11 13:25   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-11 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Feb 11 07:27:47 EST 2009, anothy@gmail.com wrote:
> Devon got this working for him about a month and a half ago; see this message:
> http://9fans.net/archive/2008/12/501
> I've still not made it work for me (on OS X), but i think the issues
> are actually in changes outside the ethernet stuff. I haven't had much
> time to dig in.

it's been working well for me.  i've been using etherrs (raw socket)
on linux.  the pcap version didn't work very well for me.  probablly
due to some linux misconfiguration.  also, if you're looking to ping,
make sure that the filter compiled into etherve.c doesn't drop non-ip
packets.  arp is not ip.

unfortunately, what you can't do is boot from a plan 9 fs.  and since
9vx requires many more cycles and much more memory than drawterm,
i've fallen back to that.  a faster linux machine might have lead to a
different decision.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9vx and native networking
@ 2009-02-11 13:42     ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-02-11 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/2/11 erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>:
> On Wed Feb 11 07:27:47 EST 2009, anothy@gmail.com wrote:
>> Devon got this working for him about a month and a half ago; see this message:
>> http://9fans.net/archive/2008/12/501
>> I've still not made it work for me (on OS X), but i think the issues
>> are actually in changes outside the ethernet stuff. I haven't had much
>> time to dig in.
>
> it's been working well for me.  i've been using etherrs (raw socket)
> on linux.  the pcap version didn't work very well for me.  probablly
> due to some linux misconfiguration.  also, if you're looking to ping,
> make sure that the filter compiled into etherve.c doesn't drop non-ip
> packets.  arp is not ip.

I fixed that issue some time ago; it turned out that the performance
issue was something that is built into pcap to buffer packets for a
certain time period. So there was always an additional 500ms latency
on it because it was waiting that long before it returned its packet
buffer up to the OS. I believe I also have the code in hg doing the
right thing with the filter, as the pcap version did end up working
for me.

--dho