From: "Devon H. O'Dell" <devon.odell@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] IWP9 this year?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:34:05 -0400	[thread overview]

2009/4/24 erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>:
> On Fri Apr 24 09:56:24 EDT 2009, devon.odell@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Although I probably won't be able to go unless it's close (a.k.a. in
>> the Baltimore / Washington DC area -- which actually isn't perhaps a
>> bad idea?), the subject of an IWP9 has been brought up several times
>> this year. I'd like to get the ball rolling on this, in case anybody
>> is interested in setting it up or attending. I think the question at
>> this point is, ``Who wants to organize it, and who will attend?''
>>
>> I'm perfectly fine to organize the event, and I'm sure my office could
>> more than accommodate any interested attendees. Just kind of curious
>> what timeframes people would be interested in, and whether people
>> would be able / willing to come. If not, some discussion on the when
>> and where might not be a bad idea, anyway. Let me know!
>>
>> --Devon
>
> i have offered to host this year in athens, ga, home
> of many things, including coraid, inc. and the univeristy
> of georga.  there should be plenty of accomidations.
> we are about 40 minutes outside atlanta, ga so it's pretty
> easy to get to — at least from the airport.

Ok, I hadn't seen that. Similarly, I'm in Columbia, MD, which is about
15 minutes from both BWI and Reagan Int'l airports (Dulles is a bit of
a hike; perhaps more towards 40 minutes), and there are many Amtrak
stations around. Home of Message Systems (where I work, though we
don't do anything interesting with Plan 9 except listen to me
proselytize it), and a short distance away from the ``Nation's best
Crab'' (I think that's what Baltimore is calling it) and Capitol.

> i was thinking about 22-24 october 2009.  there was some
> discussion of changing the format to include some workshop
> this year.  i would like to do that, but it's not clear to me what
> the format should be.  i would imagine the workshop would
> start a few days before the 22 with prep taking place throughout
> the summer.  since many of the likely workshop participants
> are doing gsoc, perhaps the workshop can be some hands-on
> with the summer's work and we can expect papers from them,
> too as well as the usual suspects. :-)
>
> if we can agree on that, i'd enjoy doing it.

I like that format; I was thinking it would be good to see some of
these projects have presentations as well. Additionally, October is
sufficiently far in the future that it should work out rather well. I
could probably make it down to ATL; would probably only be a 3-or-so
hour flight. If you need any help with planning / logistics, that's
fine. If people would rather do it here, that's fine. If nobody needs
me to do anything, that's fine too, just trying to get the ball
rolling :)

> - erik

--dho