* [9fans] pager
@ 2001-05-30  8:42 Hermann Samso
From: Hermann Samso @ 2001-05-30  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	Hello!

	As a future plan9 wannabe user, I am doing my first
	little steps towards installing the system.

	The computer is a second hand Dell OptiPlex GXa. It
	features a
	Pentium II 233Mhz3Com,
	3c90x 10/100Mb ethernet card,
	a Crystal Sem. CS4236 sound chip and
	an ATI Rage Pro II graphics card.

	First report: the boot disk runs up the system, which
	now only sports 2 ext2 and 1 linux swap partitions,
	without problems, till rio. This, I read, has to do
	with some changes into vgadb vor AtiMach64 (deja.com).

	OK, so I would need some editor means and some pager
	the like of less or more. As 'ed' seems to be available
	(aren't there any better, cursor oriented? :-\
	my only concern is for the pager, oh, and BTW, what
	to do if lc's output (is lc an alias? a script? a program?)
	doesn't fit in one screen?

	thank you very much,
			hermann samso

	OBTW, I remember now the gfx is a AGP onboard chipset, so
	should I forget running rio altogether? See next posting.

* [9fans] Re: pager
@ 2001-05-30 17:10 ` Hermann Samso
From: Hermann Samso @ 2001-05-30 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hermann Samso <samso@studserv.stud.uni-hannover.de> wrote:

> 	Hello!

> 	As a future plan9 wannabe user, I am doing my first
> 	little steps towards installing the system.

[snip: Dell optiPlex GAx spec]

> 	First report: the boot disk runs up the system, which
> 	now only sports 2 ext2 and 1 linux swap partitions,
> 	without problems, till rio. This, I read, has to do
> 	with some changes into vgadb vor AtiMach64 (deja.com).

[snip]

	System does run rio. Just put the following line in vgadb:

        0xC00ED="MACH64GDPCIMTSGU"                      # Dell OptiPlex GXa

	Wonder why the gfx server doesn't find it automatically,
	anyways it does dump the start of the BIOS memory, where
	I could read this reference name.

	hermann samso

* [9fans] pager
@ 2001-05-30  8:41 Hermann Samso
From: Hermann Samso @ 2001-05-30  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	Hello!

	I am a plan9 user wannabe and I am doing my first
	little steps to install the system.
	The boot disk does its job. Unluckily it can't start
	rio, which it tries to run up. So I suppose I have to
	do some changes in some files (something about ATI Mach64
	in vgadb (deja.com)). OK, fine, only... is there any
	pager? (like more or less)

	'lc' which is very handy, as I can't scroll the
	console to read past lines, what if all files don't
	fit in one screen?

	thank you very much,
			hermann samso

	watering mouth...