* [9fans] pager
@ 2001-05-30  8:42 Hermann Samso
From: Hermann Samso @ 2001-05-30  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	Hello!

	As a future plan9 wannabe user, I am doing my first
	little steps towards installing the system.

	The computer is a second hand Dell OptiPlex GXa. It
	features a
	Pentium II 233Mhz3Com,
	3c90x 10/100Mb ethernet card,
	a Crystal Sem. CS4236 sound chip and
	an ATI Rage Pro II graphics card.

	First report: the boot disk runs up the system, which
	now only sports 2 ext2 and 1 linux swap partitions,
	without problems, till rio. This, I read, has to do
	with some changes into vgadb vor AtiMach64 (deja.com).

	OK, so I would need some editor means and some pager
	the like of less or more. As 'ed' seems to be available
	(aren't there any better, cursor oriented? :-\
	my only concern is for the pager, oh, and BTW, what
	to do if lc's output (is lc an alias? a script? a program?)
	doesn't fit in one screen?

	thank you very much,
			hermann samso

	OBTW, I remember now the gfx is a AGP onboard chipset, so
	should I forget running rio altogether? See next posting.

* [9fans] Re: pager
@ 2001-05-30 17:10 ` Hermann Samso
From: Hermann Samso @ 2001-05-30 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hermann Samso <samso@studserv.stud.uni-hannover.de> wrote:

> 	Hello!

> 	As a future plan9 wannabe user, I am doing my first
> 	little steps towards installing the system.

[snip: Dell optiPlex GAx spec]

> 	First report: the boot disk runs up the system, which
> 	now only sports 2 ext2 and 1 linux swap partitions,
> 	without problems, till rio. This, I read, has to do
> 	with some changes into vgadb vor AtiMach64 (deja.com).

[snip]

	System does run rio. Just put the following line in vgadb:

        0xC00ED="MACH64GDPCIMTSGU"                      # Dell OptiPlex GXa

	Wonder why the gfx server doesn't find it automatically,
	anyways it does dump the start of the BIOS memory, where
	I could read this reference name.

	hermann samso