* Re: [9fans] more bad news from Lucent
@ 2001-07-11 16:32 jmk
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: jmk @ 2001-07-11 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Jul 11 08:57:22 EDT 2001, matt@proweb.co.uk wrote:

> Lucent to lay off 30% of senior managers
> By John Leyden
>

> Beleaguered telecoms manufacturer Lucent has said it will lay off three in
> 10 of its top managers as part of a wide ranging restructuring program
> designed to cut its operating expenses.
>
> The firm plans to split into two main businesses - landline and wireless -
> both of which will focus on selling network infrastructure kit to service
> providers. Last year the firm had 11 divisions.

'Beleagured'? Over here the phrase which is always trotted out is
	struggling telecoms manufacturer Lucent
Is there a word for this association of words? We see such inseparable
phrases all the time, e.g.
	upstart chip maker Transmeta
	former Panamanian strongman Manuel Noriega

* Re: [9fans] more bad news from Lucent
@ 2001-07-11 17:40 ` Theo Honohan
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Theo Honohan @ 2001-07-11 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wednesday 11 July, jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote ("Re: [9fans] more bad news from Lucent"):

> 'Beleagured'? Over here the phrase which is always trotted out is
> 	struggling telecoms manufacturer Lucent
> Is there a word for this association of words? We see such inseparable
> phrases all the time, e.g.
> 	upstart chip maker Transmeta
> 	former Panamanian strongman Manuel Noriega

Clich�?

"Of what was there a flurry?  Of diplomatic activity, of course"
         -- Myles na gCopaleen

* Re: [9fans] more bad news from Lucent
@ 2001-07-11 18:26 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-07-11 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20010711163218.3205E199C0@mail.cse.psu.edu> you write:
>'Beleagured'? Over here the phrase which is always trotted out is
>	struggling telecoms manufacturer Lucent
>Is there a word for this association of words? We see such inseparable
>phrases all the time, e.g.
>	upstart chip maker Transmeta
>	former Panamanian strongman Manuel Noriega

New (e-conomy) speak?  The voice of a new iGeneration?  Market Speak?
Management speak?  Industry Trade Rag Speak?

I know, Jim, on a related note I sense an issue coming on, but I
don't have the bandwidth to address it right now.  Perhaps you and
some of your e-colleagues could take it offline and whiteboard an
e-solution strategized from your e-xpertize?  The ROI would be
visionary.  You know, make it an action item to e-vigorate your
linguistic service i-offerings?  And don't forget, use XML!

BOSS:	Everything we do must revolve around XML.  XML is the
	light and the way.  It is the future of E-Commerce.  We
	will use it to revitalize our deliverables....  Hey, mister,
	just where do you think you're going?  Let me see your
	DTD!

DRONE:	But, I'm just going to the bathroom....

BOSS:	No excuse!  Everything we do revolves around XML!  Now let
	me see a DTD.

DRONE:	But....But, I just have to pee....

BOSS:	Pee Shmee!  Again, no excuse!  No DTD, no pee-pee.

DRONE:	(Starts crying)

BOSS:	You see, people, in the New Economy, some of us are tougher
	than others.  We can't tolerate the weaklings if we're to
	syngerize our core competencies around unleashing frictionless
	deliverables.  Anyone else have to pee?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Ed Woods movies....

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] more bad news from Lucent
@ 2001-07-11 18:36 ` Quinn Dunkan
From: Quinn Dunkan @ 2001-07-11 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 'Beleagured'? Over here the phrase which is always trotted out is
> 	struggling telecoms manufacturer Lucent
> Is there a word for this association of words? We see such inseparable
> phrases all the time, e.g.
> 	upstart chip maker Transmeta
> 	former Panamanian strongman Manuel Noriega

A bit archaic, perhaps:

 From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

  Epithet \Ep"i*thet\, n. [L. epitheton, Gr. ?, fr. ? added, fr. ?
     to add; 'epi` upon, to + ? to put, place: cf. F.
     ['e]pith[`e]te. See {Do}.]
     1. An adjective expressing some quality, attribute, or
        relation, that is properly or specially appropriate to a
        person or thing; as, a just man; a verdant lawn.

If it weren't so difficult to say, I'd consider "markovlets", under the
assumption that many "news" articles are generated via that technique anyway.

* Re: [9fans] more bad news from Lucent
@ 2001-07-11 18:45   ` chad
From: chad @ 2001-07-11 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Is there a word for this association of words? We see such inseparable
> phrases all the time, e.g.
> 	upstart chip maker Transmeta
> 	former Panamanian strongman Manuel Noriega

The word is `phrase', as in ``coin a phrase'' or ``turn a phrase''.
Sorry it's not very revolutionary.  Perhaps if we were to write it as
``<phrase>...</phrase>''?

* RE: [9fans] more bad news from Lucent
@ 2001-07-11 22:25   ` Jason Gurtz
From: Jason Gurtz @ 2001-07-11 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> New (e-conomy) speak?  The voice of a new iGeneration?  Market Speak?
> Management speak?  Industry Trade Rag Speak?
>
> I know, Jim, on a related note I sense an issue coming on, but I
> don't have the bandwidth to address it right now.  Perhaps you and
> some of your e-colleagues could take it offline and whiteboard an
> e-solution strategized from your e-xpertize?  The ROI would be
> visionary.  You know, make it an action item to e-vigorate your
> linguistic service i-offerings?  And don't forget, use XML!

<snip dialog>

rofl!

~jay

--
+------------------+
| Jason@tommyk.com |

* Re: [9fans] more bad news from Lucent
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-07-12  0:07 ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2001-07-12  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Flann O'Brien, aka Miles Na Gopaleen. The catechism of cliche'

-George

* Re: [9fans] more bad news from Lucent
@ 2001-07-16  8:55   ` Toby Thain
From: Toby Thain @ 2001-07-16  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

George Michaelson wrote:

> Flann O'Brien, aka Miles Na Gopaleen. The catechism of cliche'
>
> -George

Gustave Flaubert, The Dictionary of Received Ideas:
"BLACK  Always followed by 'as ebony' or preceded by 'jet'.
DISTINCTION  Always preceded by 'rare'.
POLICEMAN  Bulwark of society. Don't say 'the police' but 'the forces of
law and order' or 'the constabulary'."

Plenty more.

* Re: [9fans] more bad news from Lucent
@ 2001-07-16  9:40     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-07-16  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> George Michaelson wrote:
>
> Flann O'Brien, aka Miles Na Gopaleen. The catechism of cliche'

flann o'brien's:  dangerous ira bar in paris.

* Re: [9fans] more bad news from Lucent
@ 2001-10-15  9:12       ` Zebedee
From: Zebedee @ 2001-10-15  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <004201c10ddb$497ea500$3cf7c6d4@SOMA>,
Boyd Roberts <9fans@cse.psu.edu> wrote:
>> George Michaelson wrote:
>>
>> Flann O'Brien, aka Miles Na Gopaleen. The catechism of cliche'
>
>flann o'brien's:  dangerous ira bar in paris.

[Trans]: bar where Boyd shot his mouth off and got put in his place.

"Dangerous IRA bar" my arse!  If you don't like Irish pubs, keep out
of them.
--
Paul Dunne | paul@theunixplace.com | http://dunne.home.dhs.org/
Linux Counter user #10540