* Re: [9fans] Where is vgactl?
@ 2001-10-26 11:35 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-10-26 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it isn't bound automatically so you need
	bind -b '#v' /dev
to make it appear in /dev, or use
	echo -n 'size 800x600x8' >'#v/vgactl'

that's probably still not what you intend, because VGA being what it is,
a host of major and minor register values need to be adjusted in most cases,
in a device-dependent way.  use aux/vga, described by vga(8).
read the manual page first, though.  aux/vga eventually sets the
using vgactl, but sets all those registers first, if it can.
it needs to be done outside rio.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1946 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Where is vgactl?
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:24:34 GMT

OK, maybe I'm just dumb, but I think I'm doing this right.

I'm trying to change the VGA setting for my system. According to the
docs if I want to change the size of the screen I type:

echo -n 'size 800x600x8' >/dev/vgactl

Right? When I do, I get an error stating something to the effect that
it can't find vgactl. Sure enough, it's not in /dev...or anywhere! Am
I going about this correctly?

* Re: [9fans] Where is vgactl?
@ 2001-10-26 12:06 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-10-26 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 12:35:03PM +0100, forsyth@vitanuova.com wrote:

> it isn't bound automatically so you need
> 	bind -b '#v' /dev
> to make it appear in /dev, or use
> 	echo -n 'size 800x600x8' >'#v/vgactl'
>
> that's probably still not what you intend, because VGA being what it is,
> a host of major and minor register values need to be adjusted in most cases,
> in a device-dependent way.  use aux/vga, described by vga(8).
> read the manual page first, though.  aux/vga eventually sets the
> using vgactl, but sets all those registers first, if it can.
> it needs to be done outside rio.

Wouldn't it make more sense for aux/vga to serve /dev/vga* after
initialising the environment?  I suppose the right answer is "Try it",
or am I missing something?

++L

* Re: [9fans] Where is vgactl?
@ 2001-10-26 14:06 ` Matt Senecal
From: Matt Senecal @ 2001-10-26 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thank you! :)

@ 2001-10-26 16:43 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-10-26 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 04:36:18PM +0100, forsyth@vitanuova.com wrote:

> aux/vga doesn't serve it; #v/vgactl is the kernel's exposed interface
> to its part of the vga graphics support.

I'll always carry my first language with me and will never learn to
disambiguate English sentences.

I meant: "Would it make sense for aux/vga to set up the VGA
environment - based on a much simpler kernel device - and then serve
/dev/vga* itself?"

++L

* Re: [9fans] Where is vgactl?
@ 2001-10-26 16:38 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-10-26 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 11:09:51AM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:

> I think it would make a lot of sense for vga
> to present a file system so you can switch modes,
> control external outputs on laptops, get back to
> text mode, etc.  Maybe it'll happen.  (Maybe it won't.)

Noted.  It's the type of experiment I can see myself getting quite
deep into before I get distracted.  I'll post whatever progress I
make on the CVS server (I'll post the URL or somesuch before long).

If it's OK with everyone, I'd like suggestions to come to this
mailing list.  I occasionally fall off it, though, so sending me
a copy won't hurt.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Where is vgactl?
@ 2001-10-26 15:36 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-10-26 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

aux/vga doesn't serve it; #v/vgactl is the kernel's exposed interface
to its part of the vga graphics support.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2458 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Where is vgactl?
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:06:42 +0200

@ 2001-10-26 15:09 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-10-26 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Wouldn't it make more sense for aux/vga to serve /dev/vga* after
> initialising the environment?  I suppose the right answer is "Try it",
> or am I missing something?

I think it would make a lot of sense for vga
to present a file system so you can switch modes,
control external outputs on laptops, get back to
text mode, etc.  Maybe it'll happen.  (Maybe it won't.)

Russ

* [9fans] Where is vgactl?
@ 2001-10-26  9:24 Matt Senecal