* [9fans] another type of static linking: send all the shared libraries with the program!
@ 2010-11-13  7:21 ron minnich
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2010-11-13  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I can't help it, this one struck me as quite funny, after all the
shared library discussions we've had on this list.

"A Stanford researcher, Philip Guo, has developed a tool called CDE to
automatically package up a Linux program and all its dependencies
(including system-level libraries, fonts, etc!) so that it can be run
out of the box on another Linux machine without a lot of complicated
work setting up libraries and program versions or dealing with
dependency version hell. "

OK, so this is better than static linking how? Oh yeah you get the
fonts. And all the incompatible programs across distros.

So they've made the whole shared library mess so incredibly complex
that you now have to bundle a program's shared libraries with the
program!

Un-beeeeee-lievable.

The standard rule is, when you're in a hole, stop digging; that seems
not to apply in software nowadays.

ron

* Re: [9fans] another type of static linking: send all the shared libraries with the program!
@ 2010-11-13  7:26 ` erik quanstrom
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-11-13  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> So they've made the whole shared library mess so incredibly complex
> that you now have to bundle a program's shared libraries with the
> program!
>
> Un-beeeeee-lievable.
>
> The standard rule is, when you're in a hole, stop digging; that seems
> not to apply in software nowadays.

why does this sound like post-compile autoconf/autotools?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] another type of static linking: send all the shared libraries with the program!
@ 2010-11-13  7:31   ` Don Bailey
From: Don Bailey @ 2010-11-13  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So now bin/ls is going to weigh 200 megabytes on SomeDistro thanks to
a packaging of localities, terminal colours, etc? Sounds great.

@ 2010-11-13  7:35     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-11-13  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: don.bailey, 9fans

On Sat Nov 13 02:34:14 EST 2010, don.bailey@gmail.com wrote:
> So now bin/ls is going to weigh 200 megabytes on SomeDistro thanks to
> a packaging of localities, terminal colours, etc? Sounds great.

i can't wait.  in 200-odd megabytes you can have
(a) a plan 9 distribution, or
(b) linux /bin/ls

- erik

* Re: [9fans] another type of static linking: send all the shared libraries with the program!
@ 2010-11-13  7:37 ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2010-11-13  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

cinap did years ago for linux emu

http://9hal.ath.cx/usr/cinap_lenrek/lbun/mklbun

which packages linuxemu, the linux exec you want and the
required libs all in an rc bundle that you can execute
as a regular program

in:
http://9hal.ath.cx/magic/webls?dir=/usr/cinap_lenrek/lbun

you have lbuns for svn, bash and others that just work on Plan 9

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] another type of static linking: send all the shared libraries with the program!
@ 2010-11-13  8:37 ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2010-11-13  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 11:21:51PM -0800, ron minnich wrote:
> I can't help it, this one struck me as quite funny, after all the
> shared library discussions we've had on this list.
>
> "A Stanford researcher, Philip Guo, has developed a tool called CDE to
> automatically package up a Linux program and all its dependencies
> (including system-level libraries, fonts, etc!) so that it can be run
> out of the box on another Linux machine without a lot of complicated
> work setting up libraries and program versions or dealing with
> dependency version hell. "
>
> OK, so this is better than static linking how? Oh yeah you get the
> fonts. And all the incompatible programs across distros.
>
> So they've made the whole shared library mess so incredibly complex
> that you now have to bundle a program's shared libraries with the
> program!
>
> Un-beeeeee-lievable.

So "un-beeeeee-lievable" that no one is able today to statically link
a program depending on X11. Hence, this "solution" needed to solve a
problem created (I tried to statically link an app depending
"only" on X11 and motif. Hell !...[and failure]).
                      http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] another type of static linking: send all the shared
@ 2010-11-13 16:58       ` blstuart
From: blstuart @ 2010-11-13 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Sat Nov 13 02:34:14 EST 2010, don.bailey@gmail.com wrote:
>> So now bin/ls is going to weigh 200 megabytes on SomeDistro thanks to
>> a packaging of localities, terminal colours, etc? Sounds great.
>
> i can't wait.  in 200-odd megabytes you can have
> (a) a plan 9 distribution, or
> (b) linux /bin/ls

That's only fair.  GNU ls is probably about the same number of
lines of code as Plan 9 :)

BLS

* Re: [9fans] another type of static linking: send all the shared
@ 2010-11-13 17:05         ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-11-13 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 8:58 AM,  <blstuart@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> That's only fair.  GNU ls is probably about the same number of
> lines of code as Plan 9 :)

actually, I'm pretty sure the configure script is as many lines as Plan 9 :-)

@ 2010-11-13 17:09           ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2010-11-13 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I wonder if, 10 years from now, someone using such "static" libraries
will come up with a way to dynamically link against them.

@ 2010-11-13 17:10           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-11-13 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Nov 13 12:09:46 EST 2010, rminnich@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 8:58 AM,  <blstuart@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > That's only fair.  GNU ls is probably about the same number of
> > lines of code as Plan 9 :)
>
> actually, I'm pretty sure the configure script is as many lines as Plan 9 :-)

but the configure script successfully configures ls to run on
several flavors of gnu/linux.  that's totally worth the effort.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] another type of static linking: send all the shared libraries with the program!
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-13 23:14 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-11-13 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 11:21 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't help it, this one struck me as quite funny, after all the
> shared library discussions we've had on this list.
>
> "A Stanford researcher, Philip Guo, has developed a tool called CDE to
> automatically package up a Linux program and all its dependencies
> (including system-level libraries, fonts, etc!) so that it can be run
> out of the box on another Linux machine without a lot of complicated
> work setting up libraries and program versions or dealing with
> dependency version hell. "
>
> OK, so this is better than static linking how? Oh yeah you get the
> fonts. And all the incompatible programs across distros.

Isn't this what Apple does recommend you do with application bundles?  Ship
the whole directory (.app) with all requisite frameworks and libs?

@ 2010-11-13 23:16   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-11-13 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Federico G. Benavento <benavento@gmail.com
> wrote:

> cinap did years ago for linux emu
>
> http://9hal.ath.cx/usr/cinap_lenrek/lbun/mklbun
>
> which packages linuxemu, the linux exec you want and the
> required libs all in an rc bundle that you can execute
> as a regular program
>
> in:
> http://9hal.ath.cx/magic/webls?dir=/usr/cinap_lenrek/lbun
>
> you have lbuns for svn, bash and others that just work on Plan 9

Sounds handy for those programs you just *must* have.  Sometimes I want a
reasonable web browser on Plan 9 (where no web browser is a reasonable
idea).

@ 2010-11-15  2:31   ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2010-11-15  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Nov 13, 2010, at 5:14 PM, David Leimbach wrote:

> Isn't this what Apple does recommend you do with application bundles?  Ship
> the whole directory (.app) with all requisite frameworks and libs?

That's the recommended approach for certain types of distributions.  The alternative approach is to not do shared/dynamic libraries in the code you ship.  That way the only dynamically linked code is that used in the system frameworks.  Many folks also find that their applications launch faster when not traversing all sorts of dyldhell.

There's still the open-ended question of bundles of loadable modules, if you need them.

-jas

* Re: [9fans] another type of static linking: send all the shared libraries with the program!
@ 2010-11-15  3:55     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2010-11-15  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

and it will be an unaswered question. o fortuna, velut luna, statu variabilis.

brucee

@ 2010-11-15  9:08       ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-11-15  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> and it will be an unaswered question. o fortuna, velut luna, statu
> variabilis.

 infinita variabiles?

* Re: [9fans] another type of static linking: send all the shared libraries with the program!
@ 2010-11-15 15:55     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-11-15 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs