* [9fans] Listing a directory
@ 2011-03-08  1:09 Venkatesh Srinivas
From: Venkatesh Srinivas @ 2011-03-08  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

In 9P, if I wish to list a directory, I need to TWalk to the directory,
TOpen the directory fid from the walk, and then TRead till I have all of the
contents of the directory.
If the directory's contents do not fit in a single read, I imagine I need to
loop around TOpen / Tread / .... / Tread / TOpen, till I get the whole
contents and see the same QIDs in each open, to get a coherent listing. (is
this accurate?)

Unfortunately, a TOpened FID to a directory cannot be used for walking it
(why?); so the only use of a TOpened fid to a directory is to list it or to
get a QID. Would it be reasonable for a TOpened fid to a directory to create
a copy of the directory listing at the time of the RPC?

-- vs