* [9fans] For first ONLY a laser printer in this resource meaning
@ 2012-03-13 18:14 V-CA ! Christoph Paschke
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: V-CA ! Christoph Paschke @ 2012-03-13 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@Nemo

Ok, I just want start with a very easy constellation:

1.) I installed octopus on top of my MacMini (newest version) at my televison in living room, he running also Mac-Server
2.) I got the terminal started at an older MacBook
3.) I have a HP Envy 100 WLAN Inkjet printer / Scanner integrated in WLAN, working at all my Macs
4.) Now I want to write a limbo program to print a page at that printer

As I understand you, I cannot nativly run it by the P9 idea of device = file ... because the HP printer itself has no firmware to support such file based streaming, right?

Therefore I need root through to mac a Mac sytem call to can adress the printer.

As I understand, this is NOT the idea of a good Plan 9 / Limbo program? In my understanding: If I now write a small program that prints out for example a list of addresses, I need communicate with my printer in a streaming way and not by system calls, right?

If I'm wrong, could you explain me, how I get my printer working.

And, if it is to difficult with this HP printer and the system only can support old Epson ESC/P code for needle printer, just exlain me how I get that ESC/P printer working in the "Plan 9 ressource way"?

For me it is most important that I can realize what is promised from that operting system according "all resources, also devices are a file" and that this idea is more than a theory!

You understand what I ask?

- Chris