* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 20:44 chris niewiarowski
From: chris niewiarowski @ 2004-02-25 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

what about suport for the pegasos platform

www.pegasosppc.com

Get fast, reliable access with MSN 9 Dial-up. Click here for Special Offer!

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-26 18:48     ` rog
From: rog @ 2004-02-26 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> the cool thing about acme is
> that the extension language can be external.

depends what you want to extend.

there are lots of acme things you can't do through the acme(4)
interface (execute an arbitrary acme middle-button command, for
example)

i'm fairly sure that's deliberate, to ensure that everyone
doesn't have an acme interface that's different from
everyone else's...

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-26  6:26         ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-26  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Someone ported python already, I thought.

russ did & iirc i hacked in 9p support.

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-26  6:23   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-26  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Now if we can solve the messier problems we'll be there.

we're workin' on it ...

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-26  6:20     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-26  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> "not really alive, not completely dead yet" ...

bring out your dead ...

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-26  6:09   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-26  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

meet the new release (sic)
same as the old release (sic)

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-26  4:36                 ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2004-02-26  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 01:55:22AM +0400, David Tolpin wrote:

> thank you for the pointer to the other list, I've just subscribed
> to see what is happening there.

you're welcome

> I'm trying to learn.

the best way to learn, imo, is to start using the system
and reading/writing code.

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-26  3:49                       ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2004-02-26  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think all the v6 machinery is there except for a way to configure it
correctly (I've managed to configure it almost-correctly by hand),
dhcp support for V6 addresses, dns & dhcp cooperation when assigning
addresses (dynamic DNS updates), and of course IPSEC.  I have some
sympathy for omitting IPSEC, nice though it would be to have.  An
in-kernel implementation would be pretty ugly and there's still the
need for automatic key negotiation (the stuff that racoon does on
systems using the KAME V6 stack).

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-26  1:44                       ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2004-02-26  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

we've got an ipv6config that we should stick out there.  there's also
some dhcpv6 support.  mostly me dragging my heels because we aren't using
it yet.  i'll have ynl (he did everything) to stick things onto sources for
people to play with.

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-26  1:36                     ` Derek Fawcus
From: Derek Fawcus @ 2004-02-26  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 03:50:18PM -0800, Geoff Collyer wrote:
> not-quite-complete IPv6 support in Plan 9.

I've not checked,  but what's missing?

DF

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-26  0:56             ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2004-02-26  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Does the concept of release still mean anything when you
can pull new stuff daily?

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-26  0:17     ` Taj Khattra
From: Taj Khattra @ 2004-02-26  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ah, but Globus has frequent release number increments
> because Globus is frequently changing (incompatibly)
> so that must be better, surely.

yep, the Beatles actually predicted this a long time ago:

    I've got to admit it's getting better (better)
    A little better all the time (it can't get no worse)

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 23:59                 ` 9nut
From: 9nut @ 2004-02-25 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> > OK, are there development efforts of general interest closely
>> > related to plan9? Is there a list anywhere?
>> Yes and No, respectively.
>
> Why are they kept secret?

They are not; Some 9fans have mentioned projects they are working on
but they are not far enough along to be shared (yet).  In that sense it
is like D.H.  Rumsfeld said: "There are known knowns, and there are
known unknowns".  It is the second part, I think.

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 23:50                   ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2004-02-25 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've been contributing anti-spam machinery for smtpd, and have some
other code and ideas stalled by lack of time and not-quite-complete
IPv6 support in Plan 9.  So far none of the strongly-hyped anti-spam
ideas keep the spam from reaching one's machine in the first place,
and I know how to do that, it's just going to take some time to do it.

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 23:29                 ` Dave Lukes
From: Dave Lukes @ 2004-02-25 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

What's that black helicopter doing hovering overhead?

Why are the Maoist-Stalinist Communist sympathisers hidden in the walls
eating my socks?

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 22:47, David Tolpin wrote:
> > > OK, are there development efforts of general interest closely
> > > related to plan9? Is there a list anywhere?
> > Yes and No, respectively.
>
> Why are they kept secret?

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 23:03                 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2004-02-25 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Little things appear every very frequently and get stuck in the
distribution.  Big things like CIFS support arrive a lot less
frequently and are rarely preceded by lots of fanfare, they
just appear, a man page gets stuck in, and life continues
like nothing happened.

There are no collaborative projects going on other than the
9grid stuff that I know of.

Noone's keeping anything secret, they're just low key.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2245 bytes --]

From: David Tolpin <dvd@davidashen.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 02:47:06 +0400 (AMT)

> > OK, are there development efforts of general interest closely
> > related to plan9? Is there a list anywhere?
> Yes and No, respectively.

Why are they kept secret?

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 22:56   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2004-02-25 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>Globus will never get to where Plan 9 is now.

ah, but Globus has frequent release number increments
because Globus is frequently changing (incompatibly)
so that must be better, surely.

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 22:47               ` David Tolpin
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-02-25 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > OK, are there development efforts of general interest closely
> > related to plan9? Is there a list anywhere?
> Yes and No, respectively.

Why are they kept secret?

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 22:41             ` 9nut
From: 9nut @ 2004-02-25 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2004-02-25 22:39         ` 9nut
From: 9nut @ 2004-02-25 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I am now trying to understand is it live, or just elegant?
Both.

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 22:39       ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2004-02-25 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2004-02-25 22:39                 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-02-25 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, David Tolpin wrote:

> thank you for the pointer to the other list, I've just subscribed
> to see what is happening there.

to be honest, very little. There are some hard problems to figure out, and
while Plan 9 is the difference between hard and impossible, they're still
hard. So it is taking time. But Andrey will work it all out for us.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 22:05     ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-02-25 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> | I understand there will be a lisp interpreter in acme, to allow for C and
> | Java modes.
>
> but seriously, the cool thing about acme is that
> the extension language can be external.

Yes, I understand it. And I like it in general; however,
I have difficulty implementing things I want with the
way acme lets it do. This may be something to do with
my desires; but still.

> More likely python than lisp, though.

Why?

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 22:00   ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2004-02-25 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| I understand there will be a lisp interpreter in acme, to allow for C and
| Java modes.

Ron is pulling your tail, but seriously, the cool thing about acme is
that the extension language can be external.  More likely python than
lisp, though.

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 21:55               ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-02-25 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > OK, are there development efforts of general interest closely
> > related to plan9? Is there a list anywhere? Many, if not most,
> > projects mentioned on Wiki I sleeping.
>
> if there are lists besides 9fans and 9grid,

thank you for the pointer to the other list, I've just subscribed
to see what is happening there.

> what exactly are you looking for? a project to which
> you can contribute? some sign of activity other than
> this list? just curious...

I'm trying to learn.

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 21:45             ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2004-02-25 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 01:13:27AM +0400, David Tolpin wrote:

> OK, are there development efforts of general interest closely
> related to plan9? Is there a list anywhere? Many, if not most,
> projects mentioned on Wiki I sleeping.

if there are lists besides 9fans and 9grid, i don't
know about them (doesn't mean they don't exist). any
development i was doing is currently halted as my
living situation doesn't permit it, and (as is probably
the case for a lot of people here) my schedule doesn't
really allow it.

@ 2004-02-25 21:35           ` matt
From: matt @ 2004-02-25 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

when I am asked "is plan9 being developed?" in irc I usually answer "nah, it's finished"

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 21:33     ` dbailey27
From: dbailey27 @ 2004-02-25 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mirtchov, 9fans

> sweeping changes in Plan 9 happen very rarely in my opinion (R3,
> venti+fossil and 9P2000 were the ones that have happen in my lifetime
> as a 9fan).

And, yet to come, the day I actually finish *and* release a project
I'm working on for plan9.

On that day:
	<f2f> Oh my god. Don, you finally finished something?
	<north_> AUGH, MY DISKS JUST CRASHED

Don (north_)

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 21:27 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-02-25 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

OK, somebody else mentioned 9grid.

I ought to mention that I have run a distributed radiation transport
problem on the 9grid, some nodes here, some at bell labs. I wrote a simple
task bag file system (ripped-off ramfs) to support the app.

Plan 9 showed itself to be the best (only) grid system that let you
program the exact same way when resources are local or remote. The task
bag is a great way to run problems like this, and it all works no matter
where the process is, due to Plan 9 features like Private Name Spaces.

@ 2004-02-25 21:25           ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2004-02-25 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dvd, 9fans

Haven't been any huge changes in the recent past.  Factotum
and a lot of the security stuff happened 2 years ago. The earliest
deadline first scheduler has recently stabilized enough to depend
on.  Tools keep changing as people add features to them.  We base
the install on a new file system, fossil, last year.

We don't number releases at all since stuff changes everyday and
we cut a new installation image daily.  The latter is done
automaticly if anything has changed on the sources machine.
That machine is mountable by anyone using plan 9.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3124 bytes --]

From: Christopher Nielsen <cnielsen@pobox.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:10:39 -0800

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 12:59:05AM +0400, David Tolpin wrote:

> While I agree that flickering version numbers of some other systems
> are just indications of shaky designs, 'stable' differs from 'stalled'
> by just two letters. I've read a lot about Plan9, I've played with
> it and used it to port a couple of programs (not of general interest);
> but I am now trying to understand is it live, or just elegant?

it's as alive as you want it to be. there are a number
of people that use it daily, and a few that use it for
development and develop for it. i don't see the
relevance of the question, really. people are frequently
quick to announce the demise of this or that piece of
software. who cares. if you like the system, and you
want to contribute, then use it and contribute.
otherwise, go use another system.

personally, i like the simplicity and elegance of
plan9, so i use it and develop for it when i have time.

just my $0.02.

--

@ 2004-02-25 21:18 Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2004-02-25 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/9grid/

> > personally, i like the simplicity and elegance of
> > plan9, so i use it and develop for it when i have time.
> >

> OK, are there development efforts of general interest closely
> related to plan9? Is there a list anywhere? Many, if not most,
> projects mentioned on Wiki I sleeping.
>
> David

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 21:13           ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-02-25 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> personally, i like the simplicity and elegance of
> plan9, so i use it and develop for it when i have time.

OK, are there development efforts of general interest closely
related to plan9? Is there a list anywhere? Many, if not most,
projects mentioned on Wiki I sleeping.

David

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 21:10         ` Christopher Nielsen
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2004-02-25 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2004-02-25 20:59       ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-02-25 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> kind of remarkable that we talk about 'r4' of plan 9. Think about how
> often the various unix-like systems rotate versions and system calls. It's
> quite impressive that plan 9 is so stable year to year.

While I agree that flickering version numbers of some other systems
are just indications of shaky designs, 'stable' differs from 'stalled'
by just two letters. I've read a lot about Plan9, I've played with
it and used it to port a couple of programs (not of general interest);
but I am now trying to understand is it live, or just elegant?

David Tolpin

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 20:54 ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-02-25 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The same kind that's in the plan 9 version of emacs.
>
> You can read about it here:
>
> http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/emacs

Oh, so it was a joke. So let me repeat my question:

apart from porting ArrowLISP to Plan9,

http://t3x.dyndns.org/LISP/ALISP/download.html

what are other current development efforts?
What is going on on Plan9?

David Tolpin

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 20:53     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-02-25 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, David Tolpin wrote:

> You must be joking. What dialect? ArrowLISP or what?

actually, I'm joking. Sorry, could not resist.

I see these version request things from time to time, and I think it's

@ 2004-02-25 20:49 Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2004-02-25 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The same kind that's in the plan 9 version of emacs.

You can read about it here:

http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/emacs

Noah

@ 2004-02-25 20:43   ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-02-25 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2004-02-25 20:34 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-02-25 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2004-02-25 20:22   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-02-25 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the way i see it:

"not really alive, not completely dead yet" describes it reasonably
well.  the version numbers won't change because updating via the
replica at sources.cs.bell-labs takes care of daily patches and
trivial updates.  it has the ability to take care of major updates
too, so perhaps there will never be a next plan9 release (think flow
vs discrete events).

the only time i heard 'R5' mentioned was to commemorate the switch to
fossil + the OSI-approved license, and to reorganize the tree so that
things brought in under a different license (ghostscript) are clearly
visible outside of the main Plan 9 tree (at least that's what i
understood from the directory tree on sources.cs).

sweeping changes in Plan 9 happen very rarely in my opinion (R3,
venti+fossil and 9P2000 were the ones that have happen in my lifetime
as a 9fan).  to add to what ron said, people have mentioned on the
list running binaries from 1995 without problems on the latest p9
installations...

andrey

* Re: [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 18:59 ` matt
From: matt @ 2004-02-25 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ah, the fascination of the new

* [9fans] Re: new release?
@ 2004-02-25 18:31 chris niewiarowski
From: chris niewiarowski @ 2004-02-25 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

will thgere be a new release of plan9 any time soon? and if so what new
features will it have over the old release?>

Stay informed on Election 2004 and the race to Super Tuesday.
http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx