* Re: [9fans] The lost (9front) boot menus ...
@ 2019-04-20  2:53 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2019-04-20  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yes, patches are welcome. if you prefer longer timeout,
you know what code to change now.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] The lost (9front) boot menus ...
@ 2019-04-19 23:01 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2019-04-19 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Given a working fileserver config, I want something that does
> 'user=foo; nobootpromt=bar', but with a (say) five second timeout.
> This is different from the current scheme that provides an escape,
> but which requires manual intervention.  What I'm looking for is a
> timed-out option from the 'nobootprompt=' config, that lets me
> override, but only if I'm right there.

> It's the same as how (e.g. FreeBSD) lets you interrupt the boot
> process and muck about.  But if you don't, it times out and boots
> the 'default' configuration.

err... thats precisely how it works. the ONLY difference is that the
timeout is hardcoded to ONE second see: /sys/src/boot/pc/sub.c:304

so your plan9.ini is the default config. and you hit any key during
that timeout window, you get to the bootloader console where you can
edit the plan9.ini variables (in ram). you can remove variables with
the clear command, so you can get rid of nobootprompt. its all
documented in 9boot(8).

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] The lost (9front) boot menus ...
@ 2019-04-19 22:29 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2019-04-19 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the bootloader has a console where you can change any
plan9.ini parameter, including bootfile=. read 9boot(8).

if you really want menus in the bootloader, you can also
load the kernel directly with some other multiboot capable
bootloader.

or you start the kernel from another kernel using the
reboot!kernelpath!method... on the bootargs prompt.

--
cinap

* [9fans] The lost (9front) boot menus ...
@ 2019-04-19 22:12 Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2019-04-19 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Something I miss in 9front is the 'boot menu' functionality 9labs
had in plan9.ini.  Being able to fall back to an alternative config
was a godsend when debugging fileserver setups.  I'm curious why
that was removed from the 9front bootstrap code.

--lyndon