* [9fans] SMC SYS-5018A-FTN4 lapic weirdness (9front)
@ 2019-04-18  1:47 Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2019-04-18  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have a stack of Supermicro SYS-5018A-FTN4 servers upon which  I'm trying to
spin up 9front.

For the most part they work, but one annoyance is the *endless* stream of

  cpu0: lapicerror: 0x00000080

messages the kernel prints out.  Sometimes these originate from cpu1 as well.
The hardware has eight CPU cores.  I don't think I've seen anything from
cpu>1, but in the blizzard of messages, who knows.

I poked a wee bit inside the kernel source, but I don't have time right now
to chase this.  The hardware runs fine, other than refusing to reboot, which
I put down to the usual BIOS ACPI table stupidity.

For the time being I'm going to put a filter on the kprints, but I'm curious
if this sounds familiar to anyone.

Note this happens with both the 32- and 64-bit kernels.

I don't have a quick way to attach sysinfo(1) to this message, but if somebody
can use that I'll figure something out.

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] SMC SYS-5018A-FTN4 lapic weirdness (9front)
@ 2019-04-19 11:05 ` Rodrigo G. López
From: Rodrigo G. López @ 2019-04-19 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi.

I get the exact same error every time I (in|de)crease the backlight
brightness in the x220.

@ 2019-04-18  4:02 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2019-04-18  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, cinap_lenrek

cinap_lenrek@felloff.net writes:
> bit 7 is "illegal register access". try to print the pc from the ureg
> passed to the first argument in lapicerror() in /sys/src/9/pc/apic.c.

A quick printf hack says ureg->pc = 0xffffffff801103b3 mostly
(>99.9%), but a few other oddballs are:

  cpu0  0x2400c8
  cpu0  0x226df6
  cpu0  0xffffffff80208b1c
  cpu0  0xffffffff802083f9

etc.  During boot I see complaints from cpu1, but once the machine is
fully booted only cpu0 spits messages.

This is from a generic Dick Tracy amd64 kernel, with a U->pc printf
added to lapicerror().

@ 2019-04-18  3:10 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2019-04-18  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, cinap_lenrek

cinap_lenrek@felloff.net writes:
> bit 7 is "illegal register access". try to print the pc from the ureg
> passed to the first argument in lapicerror() in /sys/src/9/pc/apic.c.

Okay.  Likely not 'til the weekend though ...

* Re: [9fans] SMC SYS-5018A-FTN4 lapic weirdness (9front)
@ 2019-04-18  2:08 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2019-04-18  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

typo. illegal register *ADDRESS*.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] SMC SYS-5018A-FTN4 lapic weirdness (9front)
@ 2019-04-18  2:06 cinap_lenrek