* [9fans] Source Code.
@ 2012-04-27 20:15 Isaac Cortés
From: Isaac Cortés @ 2012-04-27 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

How do I download the full source code of the kernel of Plan 9? I hope you
forgiveme this kind of ask, but I'm just a noob^999.

--

*“But JavaSchools also fail to train the brains of kids to be adept, agile,
and flexible enough to do good software design (and I don’t mean OO

*

* Re: [9fans] Source Code.
@ 2012-04-27 20:25 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2012-04-27 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Download the installation image from the website, gunzip, mount the resulting ISO image, then look in <mountpoint>/sys/src.

* Re: [9fans] Source Code.
@ 2012-04-27 20:28   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2012-04-27 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/plan9/sys/src/

* Re: [9fans] Source Code.
@ 2012-04-27 20:28   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2012-04-27 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:
> Download the installation image from the website, gunzip, mount the resulting ISO image, then look in <mountpoint>/sys/src.

Easier option: grab
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/extra/plan9.tar.bz2, untar it, look
under plan9/sys/src/9 for the kernel source.

john

* Re: [9fans] Source Code.
@ 2012-04-27 20:42     ` Isaac Cortés
From: Isaac Cortés @ 2012-04-27 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks a lot  to everyone, I'm planing (my english sucks too) to learn
about O.S. and C with this project, 'cause I'm kind of Hipster Student
Informatic's

--

@ 2012-04-27 20:45       ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2012-04-27 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good luck! The kernel is pretty readable and small enough to really
sit down and know what all the files are doing. Be warned that some of
the C is going to be in Plan 9's particular idiom, but in general you
can learn good practices from it. If you want to learn about writing
Plan 9 programs in general, check out the stuff under /sys/src/cmd.

John

@ 2012-04-27 20:52         ` Isaac Cortés
From: Isaac Cortés @ 2012-04-27 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks again, I'm not very smart but a persistent person, so maybe I'll last
thousand years trying until I'll master C and the source code but I will.

@ 2012-04-28  1:20           ` Jon Dugan
From: Jon Dugan @ 2012-04-28  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Isaac Cortés <isaac18490@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks again, I'm not very smart but a persistent person, so maybe I'll last
> thousand years trying until I'll master C and the source code but I will.

You may find Nemo's books about Plan 9 useful as well.

http://lsub.org/who/nemo/papers.html

Specifically:

Notes on the Plan 9 3rd edition Kernel source
Introduction to Operating Systems Abstractions Using Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Have fun!

Jon