* github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
@ 2014-11-17  3:49 Russ Cox
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2014-11-17  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i have moved the plan9port sources from mercurial to git. the instructions
at http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man1/install.html are up-to-date: you can
still install by downloading a .tgz, or you can use git clone. it's
entirely possible i've missed some things. let me know on plan9port-dev or
send a code review (see "9 man codereview").

perhaps more substantially, i created a github.com/9fans organization.
right now it's just plan9port, and i intended to add drawterm. if anyone
else wants to host plan9-related things there, i'm happy to add more owners.

thanks.
russ

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
@ 2014-11-17  4:01 ` lucio
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: lucio @ 2014-11-17  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> perhaps more substantially, i created a github.com/9fans organization.
> right now it's just plan9port, and i intended to add drawterm. if anyone
> else wants to host plan9-related things there, i'm happy to add more owners.

Thank you, Russ.

I looked briefly at Git to estimate the complexity of porting it to
Plan 9 (subsequent to Go's announcement) and found in its INSTALL file
much to be daunted by, mostly references to shell and perl scripting
and Posix compatibility.

That said, a port of Git to Windows has been completed and Jeff Sickel
announced that porting Git to Plan 9 should not be too difficult, so I
look forward to efforts in this direction and plead here to assist
with such, if at all possible.

You may well be the best authority to answer the question that came
immediately to mind: Give the ongoing port of Go to Go and the tools
being used for the translation, would a similar approach be worth
applying to the Git sources, even if only to measure the cost of
moving Go, Git and Plan 9 to a new development infrastructure, one
that is sorely missing?

Lucio.

This email has been scanned by the MxScan Email Security System.

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
@ 2014-11-17  7:14   ` Jeff Sickel
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2014-11-17  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> On Nov 16, 2014, at 10:01 PM, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
>
> That said, a port of Git to Windows has been completed and Jeff Sickel
> announced that porting Git to Plan 9 should not be too difficult, so I
> look forward to efforts in this direction and plead here to assist
> with such, if at all possible.

Not too difficult does not mean it won’t be time consuming.  Time is
not something I can volunteer these days, hopefully others will be up
to the task.

My priority right now is cleaning up APE’s getsockopt to support other
Python scripts, a new build of Python and Mercurial—with hggit.  We
should have had decent getsockopt() and setsockopt() implementations
for a while, both will be needed for any more advanced APE dependencies—
possibly including trying to port git if you want SO_KEEPALIVE.

I look forward to Go’s fifth version control system.  Hopefully that
one will be concise, written in Go, and not gimmicky with cartoon
advertising everywhere.

-jas

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
@ 2014-11-17  9:08 ` Carsten Kunze
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Carsten Kunze @ 2014-11-17  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> i have moved the plan9port sources from mercurial to git. the instructions [...]

Good thing!

Will pull requests be supported?  Codereview didn't seem to work that reliable...

Carsten

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
@ 2014-11-17  9:26 ` Carsten Kunze
From: Carsten Kunze @ 2014-11-17  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> i have moved the plan9port sources from mercurial to git. the instructions

There had been two repositories, one on swtch and one on google.  There had not always been synchronized, that on google was more up-to-date.  I don't know why it had been necessary to have two repositories.  Will that on google also be removed?  (I'd prefer that...)

Carsten

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
@ 2014-11-17  9:42   ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2014-11-17  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> There had been two repositories, one on swtch and one on google.  There had not always been synchronized, that on google was more up-to-date.  I don't know why it had been necessary to have two repositories.  Will that on google also be removed?  (I'd prefer that...)

The Google Code repository was useful to be able to use Rietveld for
code reviews.

Since the plan9port repository now moved to Git and uses Gerrit for
code reviews,
there is no need for any of the old repositories anymore.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-17 12:49 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2014-11-17 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> perhaps more substantially, i created a github.com/9fans organization.
> right now it's just plan9port, and i intended to add drawterm. if anyone
> else wants to host plan9-related things there, i'm happy to add more owners.

Is 9vx a candidate for this?  It would seem a shame to leave it in HG world?

@ 2014-11-17 12:57   ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2014-11-17 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Is 9vx a candidate for this?  It would seem a shame to leave it in HG world?

I already asked Russ for it. I'll do the Git conversion and continue to maintain
this repository.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
@ 2014-11-17 13:38     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-11-17 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> My priority right now is cleaning up APE’s getsockopt to support other
> Python scripts, a new build of Python and Mercurial—with hggit.  We
> should have had decent getsockopt() and setsockopt() implementations
> for a while, both will be needed for any more advanced APE dependencies—
> possibly including trying to port git if you want SO_KEEPALIVE.

this option, simply ignored, should do.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-17 19:03 ` Ryan Gonzalez
From: Ryan Gonzalez @ 2014-11-17 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ooohhh...this is great! I'm really glad for this change.

--
Ryan
If anybody ever asks me why I prefer C++ to C, my answer will be simple:

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
@ 2014-11-17 22:53     ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2014-11-17 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Quoting Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com>:

> written in Go, and not gimmicky with cartoon
> advertising everywhere.

So, written in Go, but unlike Go?

khm

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
@ 2014-11-18  2:18     ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2014-11-18  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 01:14:22 CST Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> wrote:

> I look forward to Go's fifth version control system.  Hopefully that
> one will be concise, written in Go, and not gimmicky with cartoon
> advertising everywhere.

I don't know about Go (the Go guys are probably already
suffering from a massive VCS fatigue), but if you want to play
with this idea, there is venti! Vac can take a previous score
to do incremental archiving. If you add sepcial blocks that
store two parent scores + some metadata, it can represent a
merge point.  Mapping to a filesystem view would require some
thought but I think most of the key pieces are already in
place. I have a whole bunch of paper projects based on venti!

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
@ 2014-11-18  2:28       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-11-18  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Nov 17 21:27:01 EST 2014, bakul@bitblocks.com wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 01:14:22 CST Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> wrote:
> >
> > I look forward to Go's fifth version control system.  Hopefully that
> > one will be concise, written in Go, and not gimmicky with cartoon
> > advertising everywhere.
>
> I don't know about Go (the Go guys are probably already
> suffering from a massive VCS fatigue), but if you want to play
> with this idea, there is venti! Vac can take a previous score
> to do incremental archiving. If you add sepcial blocks that
> store two parent scores + some metadata, it can represent a
> merge point.  Mapping to a filesystem view would require some
> thought but I think most of the key pieces are already in
> place. I have a whole bunch of paper projects based on venti!

if you want to do paper projects, why not start with something simple and fast?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
@ 2014-11-18  3:08         ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2014-11-18  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 21:28:51 EST erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Mon Nov 17 21:27:01 EST 2014, bakul@bitblocks.com wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 01:14:22 CST Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> wrot
> e:
> > >
> > > I look forward to Go's fifth version control system.  Hopefully that
> > > one will be concise, written in Go, and not gimmicky with cartoon
> > > advertising everywhere.
> >
> > I don't know about Go (the Go guys are probably already
> > suffering from a massive VCS fatigue), but if you want to play
> > with this idea, there is venti! Vac can take a previous score
> > to do incremental archiving. If you add sepcial blocks that
> > store two parent scores + some metadata, it can represent a
> > merge point.  Mapping to a filesystem view would require some
> > thought but I think most of the key pieces are already in
> > place. I have a whole bunch of paper projects based on venti!
>
> if you want to do paper projects, why not start with something simple and fast?

It is more a case of "I have this neat toy. What games can I
play  with it?" than anything else! More the protocol than the
disk layout.

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
@ 2014-11-18  3:15           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-11-18  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It is more a case of "I have this neat toy. What games can I
> play  with it?" than anything else! More the protocol than the
> disk layout.

in my world, if it comes to that, i call it "work".  :-)

- erik

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
@ 2014-11-18  3:16       ` minux
From: minux @ 2014-11-18  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Nov 17, 2014 9:29 PM, "Bakul Shah" <bakul@bitblocks.com> wrote:
> I don't know about Go (the Go guys are probably already
> suffering from a massive VCS fatigue), but if you want to play
> with this idea, there is venti! Vac can take a previous score
> to do incremental archiving. If you add sepcial blocks that
> store two parent scores + some metadata, it can represent a
> merge point.  Mapping to a filesystem view would require some
> thought but I think most of the key pieces are already in
> place.

basically, this is how git works.

Anyway, mapping a git repository to venti on the fly seems like a fun
project.

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
@ 2014-11-18  8:26       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-11-18  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net> wrote:

> Quoting Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com>:
>
>  written in Go, and not gimmicky with cartoon
>> advertising everywhere.
>>

> So, written in Go, but unlike Go?

So, written for Plan 9, but unlike Plan 9? (remember Glenda?)

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
@ 2014-11-18  8:39         ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-11-18  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://ipn.caerwyn.com/2008/03/lab-85-stowage.html

@ 2014-11-18  8:57           ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-11-18  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I see this gitfs implementation, last checkin was years ago.

<https://github.com/manzur/gitfs>

--
  Ramakrishnan
  https://rkrishnan.org/

* Re: [9fans] github.com/9fans + plan9port on git
@ 2014-11-18 13:24             ` Joseph Stewart
From: Joseph Stewart @ 2014-11-18 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Bear with me as I dream about work someone smarter than me does :P

Is there any prior art on using plan9 or Inferno as a hypervisor?

I mention this because it would be very cool to have a minimized OS+app
image (something like what this script generates for Docker :
https://github.com/Playsoft/container_builder) that plan9/inferno was the
"welcomed Insect Overlord (*1)" for. The idea would be off the shelf Linux
apps would run inside the managed instance to export a 9p fs (in this case
"git" + plan9fs glue).

I honestly don't know if this is just a giant band-aid that "enhancing" APE
would be a better effort for, but honestly, I'd rather just be able to do a
"apt-get install XYZ" and then Docker-ize some random Linux app and do 9p
glue than putting the autoconf junk on plan9.

Taking my dangerously small knowledge forward, maybe it would be possible
to take the exokernel (*2) / Arrakis (*3) ideas into plan9 or Inferno?

(*1 http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-for-one-welcome-our-new-insect-overlords
)
(*2 http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/exo.html)
(*3