From: hiro <23hiro@gmail.com>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Is the vanilla Plan 9 still alive?
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 19:11:37 +0100	[thread overview]

On 11/23/19, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
>> nobody takes any of it seriously because none of them really use
>> plan 9 to do anything people use computers to do
> Never mind, I think I can just about see the gist of what you're
> trying to get across.  It's meant to be insulting, right?

it's insulting to you that nobody takes plan9 serious? or that sl
feels the need to point it out while you know better?

or you disagree? because you take plan9 serious?

i'm not sure you got sl's philosophy here. of course he will deny i
do, but here's my interpretation anyway: the public generally seems to
frown upon technology. people don't even want products any more. all
they need is a flashy name. a future idea to be had. just buy another
app, download it. don't even use it. try it out another day when it is
actually more convenient for you.

never threaten the user that your system will enable them to do
anything. nobody wants an IDE, or to configure an operating system. if
you can just open another tab, why should you buy another computer and
install and configure an operating system that doesn't auto-update
itself and is always out-of-date bec. it lacks support of any
mainstream protocol like netflix or instagram.

if they were consistent they would laugh about ALL operating systems,
but apple and microsoft spend a good deal of marketing to prevent that
:)

it seems that 9front and plan9 are both ridiculous to the public. in
the case of the former i would like to take pride and say for good
reason. for the latter i think it's a sad, cause there was once big
monopolies and bright people backing the effort, and now they are all
busy doing something else that i don't know about - sad for me,
perhaps great for them :P