* [9fans] Mercurial port is official
@ 2012-04-27 15:04 Steven Stallion
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Steven Stallion @ 2012-04-27 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

All,

I'm happy to report that the official Mecurial port is complete and
has been accepted upstream. Starting with version 2.2, Mercurial will
support Plan 9 and friends out of the box.

You can find more information about the port here:

http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Plan9FromBellLabs
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/FactotumExtension

I've updated stallion/mercurial to version 2.2-rc for the time being.
The official 2.2 release is scheduled for the first of May. As soon as
the release is made, I'll update the package.

Some (slightly) bad news:

Due to the number of changes that needed to be made in order for the
port to be accepted upstream, I decided to recreate the contrib
package. If you have installed a previous revision of
stallion/mercurial, please be sure to completely remove it before
installing the new one. Installation is slightly manual since it
requires removing incorrect paths that were installed by
bichued/python, however the process is documented in the
Plan9FromBellLabs page above and in
sources/contrib/stallion/src/mercurial/README.

Cheers,

Steve

* Re: [9fans] Mercurial port is official
@ 2012-04-27 15:50 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2012-04-27 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This is truly excellent.

Now to get Python to work out of the box on Plan 9.

Dave

@ 2012-04-27 16:11   ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2012-04-27 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Fantastic news.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] Mercurial port is official
@ 2012-04-27 16:31     ` Yaroslav
From: Yaroslav @ 2012-04-27 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Outstanding! Thanks a lot!

* Re: [9fans] Mercurial port is official
@ 2012-04-27 16:40 ` balaji
From: balaji @ 2012-04-27 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This is great news. Bichued fixed some of fgb's intial port work to
make it work on plan9.
If i'm not mistaken its to do with threading etc, but it was working
well, including hgweb.
I'm curious to know (ofcourse without reading the links sent below) if
it supports https/ssh based checkin/checkouts.
This was one reason why we could not use it in a public environment.

bal

@ 2012-04-27 16:45 ` Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2012-04-27 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

fredagen den 27 april 2012 08.04.16 skrev  Steven Stallion:
> All,
>
> I'm happy to report that the official Mecurial port is complete and
> has been accepted upstream. Starting with version 2.2, Mercurial will
> support Plan 9 and friends out of the box.

Awesome! does this mean that the hg-git plugin will work out-of-the-box too?

--
Dr.ir. Jens Staal, Post Doc
http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-7383-2008

* Re: [9fans] Mercurial port is official
@ 2012-04-27 18:44   ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2012-04-27 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 9:40 AM, balaji
<balaji.srinivasa+plan9@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is great news. Bichued fixed some of fgb's intial port work to
> make it work on plan9.
> If i'm not mistaken its to do with threading etc, but it was working
> well, including hgweb.
> I'm curious to know (ofcourse without reading the links sent below) if
> it supports https/ssh based checkin/checkouts.
> This was one reason why we could not use it in a public environment.

Hi Bal,

HTTP/HTTPS should work without any problems (we've been using it for
the last year and a half or so on older versions of Mercurial with no
problems). SSH is a bit tougher. Mercurial assumes that OpenSSH is
installed on the system. Unfortunately, even if the openssh package is
installed there were a couple of problems we came across in Python
itself in the pipe handling.

Anecdotally speaking, Mercurial has been much more pleasant over HTTP
- we haven't looked back since moving our repositories over. To reduce
some of the pain, use of the scheme extension allows us to shorten up
the repository URLs:

hg clone hg://src/someproject

In /lib/mercurial/hgrc:

[schemes]
hg = https://hg.mysite.com/

@ 2012-04-27 18:46   ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2012-04-27 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Staal, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Jens Staal <staal1978@gmail.com> wrote:
> fredagen den 27 april 2012 08.04.16 skrev  Steven Stallion:
>> All,
>>
>> I'm happy to report that the official Mecurial port is complete and
>> has been accepted upstream. Starting with version 2.2, Mercurial will
>> support Plan 9 and friends out of the box.
>
> Awesome! does this mean that the hg-git plugin will work out-of-the-box too?

I have no idea! It's definitely worth a shot, though. We've baked this
port for quite some time now and I'm fairly confident we've worked out
most of the kinks.

@ 2012-05-02  0:52     ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2012-05-02  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Staal, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Jens Staal <staal1978@gmail.com> wrote:
>> fredagen den 27 april 2012 08.04.16 skrev  Steven Stallion:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I'm happy to report that the official Mecurial port is complete and
>>> has been accepted upstream. Starting with version 2.2, Mercurial will
>>> support Plan 9 and friends out of the box.

All,

Version 2.2 of Mercurial was released today. I've updated the
stallion/mercurial package accordingly.

@ 2012-05-04  1:04       ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2012-05-04  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This hasn't been working for me, with
codereview.

In particular, when hg tries to upload
data to the codereview server, I get
an exception (on the first `change' or
subsequent `upload' commands):

term% hg upload 6031056
	Mon Apr 30 12:37:16 2012 loading CL 6031056
	Mon Apr 30 12:37:16 2012 getting issue metadata from web
	Mon Apr 30 12:37:26 2012 None
	Mon Apr 30 12:37:26 2012 loaded CL 6031056
	Mon Apr 30 12:37:26 2012 uploading CL metadata + diffs
	Mon Apr 30 12:37:30 2012 inspecting src/pkg/runtime/os_plan9.h
** unknown exception encountered, please report by visiting
**  http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/BugTracker
** Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Aug 26 2009, 08:54:39) [C]
** Mercurial Distributed SCM (version 2.2-rc)
** Extensions loaded: extdiff, factotum, codereview
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/bin/hg", line 38, in <module>
    mercurial.dispatch.run()
  File "/sys/lib/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mercurial/dispatch.py",
line 27, in run
    sys.exit((dispatch(request(sys.argv[1:])) or 0) & 255)
  File "/sys/lib/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mercurial/dispatch.py",
line 64, in dispatch
    return _runcatch(req)
  File "/sys/lib/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mercurial/dispatch.py",
line 87, in _runcatch
    return _dispatch(req)
  File "/sys/lib/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mercurial/dispatch.py",
line 685, in _dispatch
    cmdpats, cmdoptions)
  File "/sys/lib/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mercurial/dispatch.py",
line 467, in runcommand
    ret = _runcommand(ui, options, cmd, d)
  File "/sys/lib/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mercurial/dispatch.py",
line 775, in _runcommand
    return checkargs()
  File "/sys/lib/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mercurial/dispatch.py",
line 746, in checkargs
    return cmdfunc()
  File "/sys/lib/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mercurial/dispatch.py",
line 682, in <lambda>
    d = lambda: util.checksignature(func)(ui, *args, **cmdoptions)
  File "/sys/lib/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mercurial/util.py",
line 463, in check
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "//sys/lib/codereview/codereview.py.plan9", line 1849, in upload
    cl.Upload(ui, repo)
  File "//sys/lib/codereview/codereview.py.plan9", line 351, in Upload
    files = vcs.GetBaseFiles(data)
  File "//sys/lib/codereview/codereview.py.plan9", line 2968, in GetBaseFiles
    files[filename] = self.GetBaseFile(filename)
  File "//sys/lib/codereview/codereview.py.plan9", line 3164, in GetBaseFile
    ret = commands.status(fui, self.repo, *[relpath], **{'rev':
[self.base_rev], 'copies': True})
  File "/sys/lib/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mercurial/commands.py",
line 5191, in status
    fm = ui.formatter('status', opts)
AttributeError: 'FakeMercurialUI' object has no attribute 'formatter'

@ 2012-05-04  3:08         ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2012-05-04  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Akshat Kumar
<akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
> This hasn't been working for me, with
> codereview.
>
> In particular, when hg tries to upload
> data to the codereview server, I get
> an exception (on the first `change' or
> subsequent `upload' commands):
>
> term% hg upload 6031056
>        Mon Apr 30 12:37:16 2012 loading CL 6031056
>        Mon Apr 30 12:37:16 2012 getting issue metadata from web
>        Mon Apr 30 12:37:26 2012 None
>        Mon Apr 30 12:37:26 2012 loaded CL 6031056
>        Mon Apr 30 12:37:26 2012 uploading CL metadata + diffs
>        Mon Apr 30 12:37:30 2012 inspecting src/pkg/runtime/os_plan9.h
> ** unknown exception encountered, please report by visiting
> **  http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/BugTracker
> ** Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Aug 26 2009, 08:54:39) [C]
> ** Mercurial Distributed SCM (version 2.2-rc)
> ** Extensions loaded: extdiff, factotum, codereview

Hi Akshat,

This looks like an incompatibility with 2.2 and upload.py. I know that
the Mercurial support in upload is maintained separately by the
rietveld guys, it might make sense to ping them.

HTH,

Steve