* [9fans] Two Acme questions
@ 2014-07-16 17:04 Riddler
From: Riddler @ 2014-07-16 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hey guys,

I've been using acme as my main editor for going on two weeks now and
I'm starting to get the hang of it! I've got two questions though if
anyone can offer some input.

First, after using plan9 and plan9port I've noticed that on plan9port
(from Arch Linux's repository) the tagline seems to have the ability
to wrap onto multiple lines. I quite like it because I end up with
some (unfortunately unavoidable) long paths in them.
Plan9's acme (I'm using 9atom) doesn't seem to do this and just gets
cut off the end. Is there a way to let it wrap? I could not find any
related comments in the manual.

Secondly, I'm trying to make a little "guide" script for acme so I can
write "Guide" in the tagline and whenever I run it a +Errors window
shows a quick jump-to list for the functions in the file.
I've got a small awk script ready and working and generating output in
the right format but I can't seem to get it to plug in to acme in
plan9port.
I've attempted to do "9p read /acme/$winid/body" but I keep getting
"connect: /tmp/ns.riddler.:0/: Connection refused"
I found a few references to this error in context with factotum but
not any fixes. Any suggestions as to what I'm missing?

Thanks,
Riddler.

* Re: [9fans] Two Acme questions
@ 2014-07-16 17:28 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-07-16 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> First, after using plan9 and plan9port I've noticed that on plan9port
> (from Arch Linux's repository) the tagline seems to have the ability
> to wrap onto multiple lines. I quite like it because I end up with
> some (unfortunately unavoidable) long paths in them.
> Plan9's acme (I'm using 9atom) doesn't seem to do this and just gets
> cut off the end. Is there a way to let it wrap? I could not find any
> related comments in the manual.

you'd need to backport p9p acme to plan 9.

> Secondly, I'm trying to make a little "guide" script for acme so I can
> write "Guide" in the tagline and whenever I run it a +Errors window
> shows a quick jump-to list for the functions in the file.
> I've got a small awk script ready and working and generating output in
> the right format but I can't seem to get it to plug in to acme in
> plan9port.
> I've attempted to do "9p read /acme/$winid/body" but I keep getting
> "connect: /tmp/ns.riddler.:0/: Connection refused"
> I found a few references to this error in context with factotum but
> not any fixes. Any suggestions as to what I'm missing?

are you running plumber?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Two Acme questions
@ 2014-07-16 17:31   ` Lee Fallat
From: Lee Fallat @ 2014-07-16 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> First, after using plan9 and plan9port I've noticed that on plan9port
>> (from Arch Linux's repository) the tagline seems to have the ability
>> to wrap onto multiple lines. I quite like it because I end up with
>> some (unfortunately unavoidable) long paths in them.
>> Plan9's acme (I'm using 9atom) doesn't seem to do this and just gets
>> cut off the end. Is there a way to let it wrap? I could not find any
>> related comments in the manual.
>
> you'd need to backport p9p acme to plan 9.

This has been done for 9front.

* Re: [9fans] Two Acme questions
@ 2014-07-16 17:56     ` sl
From: sl @ 2014-07-16 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > you'd need to backport p9p acme to plan 9.
> >
> This has been done for 9front.

Some additional features were implemented in 9front's copy of Plan 9
acme, but it's not accurate to say p9p acme was backported to 9front.

sl

* Re: [9fans] Two Acme questions
@ 2014-07-16 19:14     ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2014-07-16 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33@gmail.com> wrote:
> This has been done for 9front.

Only partially. The tag expands to multiple lines, but does not accept
newlines. Also, sl is right.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] Two Acme questions
@ 2014-07-16 19:31       ` Lee Fallat
From: Lee Fallat @ 2014-07-16 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Aram Hăvărneanu <aram.h@mgk.ro> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This has been done for 9front.
>
> Only partially. The tag expands to multiple lines, but does not accept
> newlines. Also, sl is right.

Yes, I was too hasty with my response. sl is right.

* Re: [9fans] Two Acme questions
@ 2014-07-17  9:39         ` Riddler
From: Riddler @ 2014-07-17  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks for the info, I will take a look at 9fromt/p9p acme's code.

As for the second question, I am running plumber.
Just to check I did "9 plumber" to try to start it again and am
getting "Address already in use", so it is up.
If I do "ls /tmp/ | grep ns." the directory "ns.riddler.:0" is there
and I have rw permissions.
It contains two sockets acme, plumb and I have rw permissions on both.

Any other ideas?

@ 2014-07-23  5:22           ` Bence Fábián
From: Bence Fábián @ 2014-07-23  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

omit the first slash. as in:
9p read acme/$winid/body

> Thanks for the info, I will take a look at 9fromt/p9p acme's code.
>
> As for the second question, I am running plumber.
> Just to check I did "9 plumber" to try to start it again and am
> getting "Address already in use", so it is up.
> If I do "ls /tmp/ | grep ns." the directory "ns.riddler.:0" is there
> and I have rw permissions.
> It contains two sockets acme, plumb and I have rw permissions on both.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 8:31 PM, Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Aram Hăvărneanu <aram.h@mgk.ro> wrote:
> >>
> >> Only partially. The tag expands to multiple lines, but does not accept
> >> newlines. Also, sl is right.
> >>
> > Yes, I was too hasty with my response. sl is right.

* [9fans]  Two Acme questions
@ 2014-07-23  9:25             ` Riddler
From: Riddler @ 2014-07-23  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs