* [9fans] 9atom boot problem
@ 2015-01-29 12:24 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2015-01-29 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

I tried 9atom from 2014-06-27, but it doesn't (now I add 'always'; sometimes
it does get through) boot.

If I choose to install plan9, I get a result shown in the attached
a.png (and it does not proceed any further).

If I choose to just boot (not install), it gets stuck after
init: starting /bin/rc
and shows the same 'spurious interrupt 39'.

Some more info about booting progress is in b.png
and c.png.

Even if the machine boots, I get a lot of 'spurious interrupt 39' messages.
In spite of these messages I am trying to install the system.

It is a intelD865GVHZ motherboard.

Any help?

Thanks
Ruda

[-- Attachment #2: c.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 496075 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: b.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 440293 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: a.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 469250 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] 9atom boot problem
@ 2015-01-29 14:23 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2015-01-29 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I tried 9atom from 2014-06-27, but it doesn't (now I add 'always'; sometimes
> it does get through) boot.
>
> If I choose to install plan9, I get a result shown in the attached
> a.png (and it does not proceed any further).
>
> If I choose to just boot (not install), it gets stuck after
> init: starting /bin/rc
> and shows the same 'spurious interrupt 39'.
>
> Some more info about booting progress is in b.png
> and c.png.
>
> Even if the machine boots, I get a lot of 'spurious interrupt 39' messages.
> In spite of these messages I am trying to install the system.
>
> It is a intelD865GVHZ motherboard.
>
> Any help?

that's not a fatal error.  it's caused by a bad interaction with the
8259 interrupt controller.  if you can put up with that a bit,
an install is often possible.  (the bug is entirely my fault.)

the usb image should work for you.  it boots a 64-bit kernel or
386/pae kernel.  both will avoid the 8259 if possible, and the 64-bit
kernel doesn't even have support for one.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom boot problem
@ 2015-01-29 14:41 ` Pavel Klinkovský
From: Pavel Klinkovský @ 2015-01-29 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> If I choose to install plan9, I get a result shown in the attached
> a.png (and it does not proceed any further).
>
> If I choose to just boot (not install), it gets stuck after
> init: starting /bin/rc
> and shows the same 'spurious interrupt 39'.

Try to play with AHCI settings in BIOS.
IIRC I had similar problems with my IntelAtom based M/B.

Pavel

* Re: [9fans] 9atom boot problem
@ 2015-01-30  8:13   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2015-01-30  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

so I installed 9atom from a CD.
I noticed there is an error message during copying files, see e.png.
(Don't know what that is about or how important that is.)

In any case, when I reboot after having installed the system, I
once again end up with
init: starting /bin/rc
and that's about it (g.png)
I played with various bios settings, but those I tried didn't help.
What happens at that stage that can cause such a behaviour?

> the usb image should work for you.  it boots a 64-bit kernel or
> 386/pae kernel.  both will avoid the 8259 if possible, and the 64-bit
> kernel doesn't even have support for one.
>
> - erik

Is there any chance the USB image might work better? If yes, I'll try it.

Thanks for comments!
Ruda

[-- Attachment #2: e.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 540160 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: g.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 557333 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] 9atom boot problem
@ 2015-01-30  8:48     ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2015-01-30  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 30 January 2015 at 09:13, Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> so I installed 9atom from a CD.
> I noticed there is an error message during copying files, see e.png.
> (Don't know what that is about or how important that is.)
>
> In any case, when I reboot after having installed the system, I
> once again end up with
> init: starting /bin/rc
> and that's about it (g.png)
> I played with various bios settings, but those I tried didn't help.
> What happens at that stage that can cause such a behaviour?
>
>> the usb image should work for you.  it boots a 64-bit kernel or
>> 386/pae kernel.  both will avoid the 8259 if possible, and the 64-bit
>> kernel doesn't even have support for one.
>>
>> - erik
>>

> Is there any chance the USB image might work better? If yes, I'll try it.
>
> Thanks for comments!
> Ruda

Well, I left the machine on its own and after slightly
less than an hour it offered a prompt with some more info,
I believe, so now it might be clearer to say what is wrong.
See prompt.png.

Thanks
Ruda

[-- Attachment #2: prompt.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 531655 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] 9atom boot problem
@ 2015-01-30 14:06       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2015-01-30 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Well, I left the machine on its own and after slightly
> less than an hour it offered a prompt with some more info,
> I believe, so now it might be clearer to say what is wrong.
> See prompt.png.

that's expected behavior /sys/lib/newuser will fix that.
the lengthy init was all venti.

- erik