* Excessive index read/write in venti
@ 2020-04-25  9:12 Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen @ 2020-04-25  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I run a venti from plan9port under Linux at home. Sometimes, typically
after a massive insert, I notice that venti reads and writes about 5 Mb/s
on the index disk continuously. This continues long after the insert has
finished, and there is a marked performance drop. I have never had the
patience to wait more than 24 hours, but it seems to never stop. If I kill
the venti and restart it, the problem goes away until I do massive inserts
again. After the initial indexing, there is no index activity, and
everything is back to normal. Has anyone observed similar behavior? Known
bugs?

Ole-Hj.