* Running venti from plan9port
@ 2019-12-19 19:26 Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2019-12-19 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

All,

I've updated my notes on running venti on a Linux host using plan9port
on sources.  If you're interested I've added a README for RHEL7 along
with a systemd unit and firewalld service definition.  It's a poor
replacement for a proper AoE shelf, but it has stable since I migrated
my data in 2015.  YMMV.

http://9p.io/sources/contrib/stallion/venti/

Cheers,
Steve

* Re: [9fans] Running venti from plan9port
@ 2019-12-20 19:13 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2019-12-20 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Steven, I found, on a 32-bit host, that vacfs truncated biggish to big
files on reading them and Cinap suggested that I should look at
possible confusion in size_t types versus 32-bit integers. I never got
around to that, but otherwise, I have also had good service from venti
on p9p.

Not that you need any corroboration from me.

Lucio.

On 12/19/19, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I've updated my notes on running venti on a Linux host using plan9port
> on sources.  If you're interested I've added a README for RHEL7 along
> with a systemd unit and firewalld service definition.  It's a poor
> replacement for a proper AoE shelf, but it has stable since I migrated
> my data in 2015.  YMMV.
>
> http://9p.io/sources/contrib/stallion/venti/
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Lucio De Re
2 Piet Retief St
Kestell (Eastern Free State)
9860 South Africa

Ph.: +27 71 471 3694
Cell: +27 83 251 5824

* Re: [9fans] Running venti from plan9port
@ 2019-12-21 17:29   ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2019-12-21 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Steven, I found, on a 32-bit host, that vacfs truncated biggish to big
> files on reading them and Cinap suggested that I should look at
> possible confusion in size_t types versus 32-bit integers. I never got
> around to that, but otherwise, I have also had good service from venti
> on p9p.

Interesting.  I've only used Venti on 64-bit hosts, though I've not
tried using vacfs from Plan 9 from User Space yet.  I have a couple of
large imports I pulled in from other file systems (around 30GB
uncompressed), but haven't seen a case yet where data was truncated or
otherwise corrupted when accessed by Plan 9.

> Not that you need any corroboration from me.

That's actually great to hear - I had always assumed I was running a
fringe configuration, but it has made offsite backup of the venti
store a much simpler affair than before.

@ 2019-12-23  7:42     ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2019-12-23  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Let me make sure I'm not misrepresenting this: I have an external USB
drive configured as a Venti device, it is portable to a (small) number
of p9p hosts that have been configured to match its characteristics,
I'm not sure if I actually verified that Plan 9 Venti can also access
it.

I wouldn't recommend that configuration for serious use: first I have
at least one hardware error I will eventually need to address and that
will take some effort; secondly, active Venti on my 32-bit linux-mint
workstation causes shutting down to take tens of minutes - if Venti is
not running, shutting down is as normal as one can expect; then there
is this vacfs issue - which does not occur if I run vacfs on a Plan 9
workstation, to the very same Venti configuration.

Having looked at the USB/SATA hat mentioned here, I confess it is even
more tempting. And what looks really dishy would be the PCI/E,
5-device, ROCK-PI only hat which has only one disadvantage: Plan 9 has
not (yet?) been ported to the ROCK-PI. Take a look:

https://shop.allnetchina.cn/collections/frontpage/products/penta-sata-hat-for-rock-pi-4

seems like a great place to start.

Lucio.