* [9fans] IPV6
@ 2017-04-01  9:36 Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2017-04-01  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Does anyone know what IPV6 addresses like fec0:0:0:ffff%1 mean and how to
make a real (plan9) IPV6 address from them.

Regards.

brucee

* Re: [9fans] IPV6
@ 2017-04-01  9:46 ` Ori Bernstein
From: Ori Bernstein @ 2017-04-01  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Apr 01, 2017 at 08:36:55PM +1100, Bruce Ellis wrote:
> Does anyone know what IPV6 addresses like fec0:0:0:ffff%1 mean and how to
> make a real (plan9) IPV6 address from them.
>
> Regards.
>
> brucee

The portion before the '%' is a plain old (link local) ipv6 address. The
part after the '%' is a zone id. It's safe to ignore.

Because link local addresses share prefixes, they may need to be told
what interface to come out of. They can be ignored safely enough, or if
you want you use an arbitrary string like 'fe80::%/net.alt' as the zone.

* Re: [9fans] IPV6
@ 2017-04-01  9:51   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2017-04-01  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It doesn't work if I ignore it. ip(2) doesn't mention '%'

Regards,

brucee

@ 2017-04-01 10:06   ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2017-04-01 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Apr 01, 2017 at 02:46:53AM -0700, Ori Bernstein wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 01, 2017 at 08:36:55PM +1100, Bruce Ellis wrote:
> > Does anyone know what IPV6 addresses like fec0:0:0:ffff%1 mean and how to
> > make a real (plan9) IPV6 address from them.
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > brucee
>
> The portion before the '%' is a plain old (link local) ipv6 address. The
> part after the '%' is a zone id. It's safe to ignore.
>
> Because link local addresses share prefixes, they may need to be told
> what interface to come out of. They can be ignored safely enough, or if
> you want you use an arbitrary string like 'fe80::%/net.alt' as the zone.

Careful.  fec0: is site-local, not link-local, which is fe80:.  I've
never seen a zone ID attached to a site-local address;  I thought the
zone shit was introduced at the same time they deprected the site-local
addresses...

ipv6 is a shitshow.  Cursory inspection of relevant RFCs does not lead
to clarity.  Godspeed.

khm

* Re: [9fans] IPV6
@ 2017-04-01 10:10     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2017-04-01 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

A shitshow is an apt description. I searched hard for an answer to my
question.

Regards,

brucee

On 1 April 2017 at 21:06, Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 01, 2017 at 02:46:53AM -0700, Ori Bernstein wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 01, 2017 at 08:36:55PM +1100, Bruce Ellis wrote:
> > > Does anyone know what IPV6 addresses like fec0:0:0:ffff%1 mean and how
> > > make a real (plan9) IPV6 address from them.
> > >
> > > Regards.
> > >
> > > brucee
> >
> > The portion before the '%' is a plain old (link local) ipv6 address. The
> > part after the '%' is a zone id. It's safe to ignore.
> >
> > Because link local addresses share prefixes, they may need to be told
> > what interface to come out of. They can be ignored safely enough, or if
> > you want you use an arbitrary string like 'fe80::%/net.alt' as the zone.
> >

> Careful.  fec0: is site-local, not link-local, which is fe80:.  I've
> never seen a zone ID attached to a site-local address;  I thought the
> zone shit was introduced at the same time they deprected the site-local
> addresses...
>
> ipv6 is a shitshow.  Cursory inspection of relevant RFCs does not lead
> to clarity.  Godspeed.
>
> khm

* Re: [9fans] IPV6
@ 2017-04-01 10:17       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2017-04-01 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

ipv6 is fece:5

* Re: [9fans] IPV6
@ 2017-04-01 16:51         ` Erik Quanstrom
From: Erik Quanstrom @ 2017-04-01 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] ipv6
@ 2007-04-20 23:46 ` Tim Wiess
From: Tim Wiess @ 2007-04-20 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

    Geoff,
    Thanks! I'm using v6 quite a bit on my network, so I'll
    cetainly be testing these changes.

    Tim

> Over the last two days I've pushed out a new ipconfig, some small
> utilities, and changes to the kernel and manual pages.  ipconfig(8) is
> a good place to start.  ipconfig is now able to configure more of the
> ipv6 stack, in particular automatically configuring the link-local
> address and enabling sending or receiving of router advertisements.
>
> I haven't been able to test the IPv6 functionality very thoroughly
> here, though it does seem to work at least minimally.  Feedback on the
> new ipconfig from people who are using IPv6 is welcomed.
>
> The ipv6 attribute is now documented in ndb(6), but the trade-off
> between just using an ip attribute with an IPv6 address and using the
> ipv6 attribute is not yet obvious to me.
>
> One thing we don't have yet is DHCPv6.  The sheer size of the stack of
> paper that is the DHCPv6 RFCs is daunting.

* [9fans] ipv6
@ 2007-04-20 21:41 geoff
From: geoff @ 2007-04-20 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-05-28 12:29 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-05-28 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I moved our ipv4+6 stack onto sources.cs.bell-labs.com.  Be careful,
we've been running it for a few weeks so it shouldn't totally blow you
away but it lots less tested than what was out there.  There's
a new ipconfig.c coming too, I'm in the midst of changing it so
it'll follow in a few days.  The current one works with the new
stack (as long as you've kept up with changes to it and readipifc).

* [9fans] IPv6
@ 2000-05-08 14:38 Lucio
From: Lucio @ 2000-05-08 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 08:56:45AM -0400, presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> I started implementing IPv6 and got deflected doing other stuff.  The
> IP stack in the upcoming release is still IPv4 but the interface to
> user programs uses IPv6 addresses (with the embedded IPv4 format for
> v4 addresses).  It's kind of odd without a v6 stack, but I was hoping
> to get back to the v6 implementation and wanted to make sure I didn't
> have to go and change all the user level code again.

My head spins whenever the KAME project developer (itojun) makes a new
announcement on the NetBSD network mailing list - I'm beginning to think
I'm getting too old for this game :-)

As for your approach, it makes a lot of good sense.  And it's always
good to take into consideration other people's mistakes when tackling
something as formidable as IPv6.  Good luck :-)

++L

* [9fans] IPv6
@ 2000-05-08 14:06 Lucio
From: Lucio @ 2000-05-08 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)