* [9fans] first questions from a lurker
@ 2014-03-10 14:41 arnold
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: arnold @ 2014-03-10 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello All.

I've been a lurker on 9fans for many years. Today I finally did an
install - +9atom.iso.bz2 into a virtual box VM.  The VM is NAT'ed
to a corporate network and I can ping by IP address with no problem.

First questions.

0. How to see my IP address? Cat a file in /net/... somewhere?

1. How to change the hostname - just edit /rc/bin/termrc and choose
   whatever I want to echo into /dev/sysname?  Will that get reflected
   back out to the corporate net via DHCP?

2. How to use DHCP to get to the corporate DNS servers?  (This worked
   pretty much OOTB on the labs dist, but I think that 9atom will be
   the better match for the work we want to do.)  Right now all
   hostname lookups (via ping) fail.

Unrelated:

3. I would like to generate a PDF (or even .PS file) of Volume 1 of the
manual. What's in the dist has dates from over 10 years ago. I tried
running 'mk print.out' in the manual directory (as glenda) but got
an error.  (Erik - can you do that automatically as part of your build
process? :-)  So. How can I produce such a file suitable for duplex
printing? (Bonus points if the intro(N) page of each section comes
out first. :-)

Please go easy on the Plan 9 newbie who has to unlearn 30+ years
of Unix habits.

Thanks!

Arnold

* Re: [9fans] first questions from a lurker
@ 2014-03-16 15:45 trebol
From: trebol @ 2014-03-16 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Reading your mails, I recommend you to read carefully and patiently all
the docs in /says/doc, the man pages, starting with the intros, the great
info in cat-v.org and of course the wiki!

Don't forget searching in the mail archive, you'll see a lot of info
about the things you are asking for (including my newbie's questions through
the last year).

Enjoy the little bunny!