* [9fans] network support on virtualbox
@ 2013-10-24 19:23 Sakis Kasampalis
From: Sakis Kasampalis @ 2013-10-24 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* Re: [9fans] network support on virtualbox
@ 2013-10-24 20:11 ` Paul Patience
From: Paul Patience @ 2013-10-24 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Selon Sakis Kasampalis <s.kasampalis@zoho.com>:

> Is there any chance of getting network (IP) support on virtualbox? My
> adapter according to lspci is: Ralink corp. RT3090 Wireless 802.11n
> 1T/1R PCIe

9front has a driver for that:

https://plan9front.googlecode.com/hg/sys/src/9/pc/etherrt2860.c

--
pap

* Re: [9fans] network support on virtualbox
@ 2013-10-24 20:12   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-10-24 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paul-a.patience, 9fans

On Thu Oct 24 16:11:35 EDT 2013, paul-a.patience@polymtl.ca wrote:
> Selon Sakis Kasampalis <s.kasampalis@zoho.com>:
>
> > Is there any chance of getting network (IP) support on virtualbox? My
> > adapter according to lspci is: Ralink corp. RT3090 Wireless 802.11n
> > 1T/1R PCIe
>
> 9front has a driver for that:
>
> https://plan9front.googlecode.com/hg/sys/src/9/pc/etherrt2860.c

one shouldn't need a driver for the *real* hardware on vbox.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] network support on virtualbox
@ 2013-10-24 20:27 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2013-10-24 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 21:23:25 +0200 Sakis Kasampalis <s.kasampalis@zoho.com> wrote:

> Is there any chance of getting network (IP) support on virtualbox? My
> adapter according to lspci is: Ralink corp. RT3090 Wireless 802.11n
> 1T/1R PCIe

[I am ssuming you are running VirtualBox on a linux box
and you want a plan9 VM to have network access]

Adapter type on the host doesn't matter. In VirtualBox
settings->Network menu just enable network adapter. The
easiest thing to do is to choose NAT which has some
limitations (but you can forward some TCP ports if you want
external access to your VM).  You can also bridge to a host
adapter if there is a DHCP server on your network. The
settings that work for me on a macbookpro:
    attached to: bridged adapter name: en0: wi-fi(airport)
    adapter type: intel pro/1000 mt desktop

You also need to do some configuration on the plan9 side.
There is probably a better way to do this but I just add the
following to /rc/bin/termrc.local
    ndb/cs -f $NDBFILE
    ip/ipconfig
    ndb/dns -r
    TIMESYNCARGCS=(-n pool.ntp.org)

Also see
   http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Network_configuration/index.html

* Re: [9fans] network support on virtualbox
@ 2013-10-24 21:07   ` Mark van Atten
From: Mark van Atten @ 2013-10-24 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Works like a charm, many thanks for this!
Mark.