* [9fans] Anything like 2e's road(7)?
@ 2019-10-09 18:49 Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2019-10-09 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This isn't really a Plan 9 question at this point, but since we've been talking about 2e a bit:

2e included a program road(7), which allowed you to explore a US map database. It has a neat property where you can highlight individual features via regexp match. You could have a map containing only selected roads (say you wanted to show only the Interstates going into your city).

road(7) never got updated after 2e, and I don't know how to recreate the Tiger database it pulled from, regardless.

Anyone know of anything, on any platform, which does something similar? Show only selected elements on a road map?

* Re: [9fans] Anything like 2e's road(7)?
@ 2019-10-09 20:17 ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2019-10-09 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 11:49:46AM -0700, Anthony Sorace wrote:
> This isn't really a Plan 9 question at this point, but since we've been talking about 2e a bit:
>
> 2e included a program road(7), which allowed you to explore a US map database. It has a neat property where you can highlight individual features via regexp match. You could have a map containing only selected roads (say you wanted to show only the Interstates going into your city).
>
> road(7) never got updated after 2e, and I don't know how to recreate the Tiger database it pulled from, regardless.
>
> Anyone know of anything, on any platform, which does something similar? Show only selected elements on a road map?

The association of road, Tiger and selection of strings ("labels"
associated with "categories" in GRASS terminology)
reminds me of GRASS (original version). But this is probably not what
you are looking for (a whole GIS "just" for that)...
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/

* Re: [9fans] Anything like 2e's road(7)?
@ 2019-10-11  8:07 ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2019-10-11  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs