* [9fans] USB Wireless lan
@ 2014-06-22 17:39 Riddler
From: Riddler @ 2014-06-22 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hey guys,

Starting to work on my raspberry pi fossil & venti file-server.

Currently, to network it I'm using a Netgear WNCE2001 that plugs in
with an Ethernet cable and configures with a web interface, so plan9
doesn't have to manage the wireless connection. However I would quite
like to start using a 'real' wireless adapter so I can reclaim the
current one for another device.

I took a look back through the list archives and the internet and see
that some people have had success with PCI and PCIE wireless cards,
but have not found much about USB other than an older post from 2008
saying that OHCI controllers may have problems.

So, I thought I would fire off another one and see if anyone has had
any more luck with USB wireless since, and if so with what models?

* Re: [9fans] USB Wireless lan
@ 2014-06-22 18:04 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2014-06-22 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

wrote kernel 802.11 layer and intel wifilink drivers using openbsd
driver as documentation. alexander polakov wrote ralink rt2860
driver. wpa encryption is done in software by the kernel but you need
our aux/wpa helper and factotum changes.

this stuff is in 9atom and 9front.

erik wanted to port it to userspace for usb wifi support, but
not sure if its ready yet.

theres some old support for orinocco cards but this is old stuff
and it wont support wpa.

another alternative is using vonets ethernet to wifi bridges,
these cost like 20 euro on amazon.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] USB Wireless lan