* plan9port fossil
@ 2020-03-10  3:30 kim.lassila
From: kim.lassila @ 2020-03-10  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Does anyone run fossil from plan9port? Is it stable? I am thinking of setting up a fossil + venti fileserver on Linux that Plan 9 terminals and cpu servers can connect to. Any recommendations for/against this?

* Re: [9fans] plan9port fossil
@ 2020-03-18 15:37 ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2020-03-18 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi Kim,

Sorry for the late response, I've been heads down the last couple of
weeks and haven't been keeping an eye on 9fans.

I've had a lot of luck using venti from plan9port with fossil running
natively on my plan9 fileserver. I keep a directory on sources (now
9p.io) with some notes and example scripts on how to make this work:
http://9p.io/sources/contrib/stallion/venti/. The biggest benefit to
this configuration is it makes offsite backups a breeze from the Linux
host.

I've been using this configuration since 2013 without any data
loss/corruption that I'm aware of. My venti store is around 31GB
uncompressed with 12/32GB physical used. I've been quite happy - I'd
be glad to answer any questions you may have.

HTH,
Steve

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 10:31 PM <kim.lassila@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone run fossil from plan9port? Is it stable? I am thinking of setting up a fossil + venti fileserver on Linux that Plan 9 terminals and cpu servers can connect to. Any recommendations for/against this?
>
> 9fans / 9fans / see discussions + participants + delivery options Permalink

* Re: [9fans] plan9port fossil
@ 2020-03-19 12:34   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2020-03-19 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 3/18/20, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com> wrote:
[ ...]

> I've had a lot of luck using venti from plan9port with fossil running
> natively on my plan9 fileserver. I keep a directory on sources (now
> 9p.io) with some notes and example scripts on how to make this work:
> http://9p.io/sources/contrib/stallion/venti/. The biggest benefit to
> this configuration is it makes offsite backups a breeze from the Linux
> host.

Nice stuff, Steven. I found my small Linuxmint workstation not up to
the task, the worst symptom being that shutting venti down takes a
very long time, tens of minutes, I think. It didn't matter when the
host was on all the time, but of late power blackouts have made that
untenable.

What I wish to contribute here is that using an external drive and
configuring it as a raw image allows it to be used (I presume even
shared) between Venti hosts. My most recent (and pretty old)
configuration is this:

$ cat sdb.conf
index	main

isect	/dev/sdb3:0k-20774910k
arenas	/dev/sdb3:20774911k-418906111k
bloom	/dev/sdb3:418906112k-419430400k

mem	80m
bcmem	160m
icmem	256m

addr	tcp!*!venti
httpaddr	tcp!*!8008

Sadly, there is at least one damaged block and I did not have the
foresight to set the drive up as a mirror or better.  It is not
critical, but that would be helpful.

The equally low priority problem I mentioned in the past: vacfs on p9p
truncates all large files on reading. Cinap suggested checking for
mixed-size pointer/integer types, but that becomes a mission. Still,
it is worth doing.

The native version of vacfs works flawlessly and mounts quite
successfully under p9p.

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] plan9port fossil
@ 2020-03-20  3:41   ` Kim Lassila
From: Kim Lassila @ 2020-03-20  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Mar 18, 2020, at 5:37 PM, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> http://9p.io/sources/contrib/stallion/venti/.
>
> I've been using this configuration since 2013 without any data
> loss/corruption that I'm aware of.

Thank you Steve. Your mkventi script and the attached notes are very helpful, and good to hear fossil and venti have been stable for you. I configured p9p venti for a Plan 9 playground on a MacBook yesterday. Works like a charm. Finally I have fossil (served by the 9pccpuf kernel from 9legacy), venti (served by macOS), and 9front (served by fossil) working together. I am hosting the 9front file tree inside fossil. 9front distribution does not have fossil, therefore I came up with this mixture of 9legacy (on the file server) and 9front. Fossil+venti gets me file system snapshots every 15 minutes and daily archival dumps. Life is good. Never lose a file again.

If anyone wants to learn more about this setup, please reach out. I am building a playground so that people new to Plan 9 can get a productive environment up on their laptop quickly. The medium term goal is to increase the population of the Plan 9 community. The long term goal is world domination...

Kim

* Plan9 on virtual machine in Mac os
@ 2020-03-25  1:32     ` Mark Everett
                         ` (4 more replies)
From: Mark Everett @ 2020-03-25  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Mostly a lurker so far, but wanted to try the actual system rather than plan9port.  But sometimes getting actual hardware up an running is a steep first step :-)

Does anyone know of a virtual machine running on current Mac OS that hosts plan9?  Preferably one that isn’t too difficult to set up….

Also, I’m a little unclear on what the advantages/disadvantages of the various forks of plan9 are best on, their audience, etc. And it seems somewhat difficult to determine where to find the code for the different forks. Most likely I’m just not paying attention….

I do have a pi 4 but probably not the one with the wall wart fix. Is Mr. Miller’s code all in one place? Where is it publicly available?

Is there some repository for add-on file systems ala 9P2000 in one place. If not the actual code, perhaps pointers to the actual repositories.

Sorry if it appears that I’m not digging in to find this information myself, but I can’t seem to find the end of the string to pull…

Thanks in advance.

Lurker Mark

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on virtual machine in Mac os
@ 2020-03-25  6:39       ` Cyber Fonic
                         ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Cyber Fonic @ 2020-03-25  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have been using Russ Cox's 9vx <https://swtch.com/9vx/> on OS/X Mavericks
with considerable success.  The only issue being that I need to connect a
Logitech 3 button mouse via a Unifying RF dongle (BlueTooth mice don't work
for me).

Although 9vx is somewhat minimal, I download sources as I require them
from 9p.io
website <http://9p.io/sources/plan9/sys/src/>.

Richard Millers Plan9 port <http://9p.io/sources/contrib/miller/9pi.img.gz>
works fine for me on an older RPi - B (?)  using the same mouse that I use
with MBP.

Personally I find the 9vx environment more to my liking as I can edit code
with vim, use Finder, etc using OS/X concurrently with Plan9 -- yes, I know
that is heretical to die-hard Plan9 folks, but I'm a *nix guy foremost and
a Plan9 newbie.

Pardon the confusion over which model RPi I am using. I have several from
different releases and I get confused as to which one I am using at any
given time. Swapping SDHC cards, etc

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 at 12:33, Mark Everett <everettm@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mostly a lurker so far, but wanted to try the actual system rather than
> plan9port.  But sometimes getting actual hardware up an running is a steep
> first step :-)
>
> Does anyone know of a virtual machine running on current Mac OS that hosts
> plan9?  Preferably one that isn’t too difficult to set up….
>
> Also, I’m a little unclear on what the advantages/disadvantages of the
> various forks of plan9 are best on, their audience, etc. And it seems
> somewhat difficult to determine where to find the code for the different
> forks. Most likely I’m just not paying attention….
>
> I do have a pi 4 but probably not the one with the wall wart fix. Is Mr.
> Miller’s code all in one place? Where is it publicly available?
>
> Is there some repository for add-on file systems ala 9P2000 in one place.
> If not the actual code, perhaps pointers to the actual repositories.
>
> Sorry if it appears that I’m not digging in to find this information
> myself, but I can’t seem to find the end of the string to pull…
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Lurker Mark

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on virtual machine in Mac os
@ 2020-03-25  6:44       ` Cyber Fonic
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Cyber Fonic @ 2020-03-25  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

As for strings to pull, try:

String 1 <https://9p.io/wiki/plan9/plan_9_wiki/>

String 2 <http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/>

Hope that helps !  It's where I launched my research from.

@ 2020-03-25 10:04       ` Kim Lassila
From: Kim Lassila @ 2020-03-25 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mar 25, 2020, at 3:32 AM, Mark Everett <everettm@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a virtual machine running on current Mac OS that hosts plan9?  Preferably one that isn’t too difficult to set up….

Hi Mark,

I run both 9front and 9legacy on macOS with Qemu. The installation of qemu 4.2.0 was a breeze via Homebrew:

Mac % brew install qemu

The Plan 9 file server VM boots off a virtual disk image that has 9fat, nvram, and fossil. I launch it with the following command:

Mac % cd $HOME/plan9/fs &&
qemu-system-x86_64 -m 512 -name 'file server' \
-nographic \
-no-reboot \
-drive 'if=none,id=hd,file=fossil.raw,format=raw' \
-device 'virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi' -device 'scsi-hd,drive=hd' \
-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=n0,mac=52:54:00:09:09:02 \
-netdev user,id=n0,hostfwd=tcp::564-:564

The Plan 9 terminal boots directly off a 9front kernel supplied on the command line. I launch the VM with this command:

Mac % cd $HOME/plan9/terminal &&
qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1024 -kernel 9pc64 -initrd plan9.ini \
-name terminal \
-no-reboot \
-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=n0,mac=52:54:00:09:09:09 \
-netdev user,id=n0,hostfwd=tcp::8080-:80 2>&1 | grep -v 'multiboot knows VBE'

I was testing a simple web server written in Go on the terminal and that’s why I am forwarding tcp port 8080 into it.

It took quite a lot of iterations to get these commands right. Hope this helps.

Kim

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on virtual machine in Mac os
@ 2020-03-25 18:00         ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2020-03-25 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: g_patrickb via 9fans

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020, at 6:39 AM, Cyber Fonic wrote:
> I have been using Russ Cox's 9vx <https://swtch.com/9vx/> on OS/X Mavericks with considerable success. The only issue being that I need to connect a Logitech 3 button mouse via a Unifying RF dongle (BlueTooth mice don't work for me).

i still miss 9vx. it was so convenient when it worked. fun too; i had it full-screened in a little laptop & it felt like it was native. i've tried to use inferno in the same way, but i found it rougher than plan 9 and it lacks awk.

> Personally I find the 9vx environment more to my liking as I can edit code with vim, use Finder, etc using OS/X concurrently with Plan9 -- yes, I know that is heretical to die-hard Plan9 folks, but I'm a *nix guy foremost and a Plan9 newbie.

this was exactly how i used it until i got used to acme, but i also got used to eagle mode and badly missed that when i switched to native plan 9. i still miss it. if i could code half as well as i'd like to, we'd have a zui file manager & notes organizer by now.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on virtual machine in Mac os
@ 2020-03-25 20:11           ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2020-03-25 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 On Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 02:02:40 PM EDT, Ethan Gardener <eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> i still miss 9vx. it was so convenient when it
> worked. fun too; i had it full-screened in a little

Was? I still use it everyday. It's my primary
terminal. I have it take the root from my file
server when I'm on my home network, and
off a little local mini root when I'm not.

BLS

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on virtual machine in Mac os
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-03-25 21:24       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2020-03-25 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

9legacy.org has readymade images to run on qemu and GCE.

http://9legacy.org/download.html

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 6:34 PM Mark Everett <everettm@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mostly a lurker so far, but wanted to try the actual system rather than
> plan9port.  But sometimes getting actual hardware up an running is a steep
> first step :-)
>
> Does anyone know of a virtual machine running on current Mac OS that hosts
> plan9?  Preferably one that isn’t too difficult to set up….
>
> Also, I’m a little unclear on what the advantages/disadvantages of the
> various forks of plan9 are best on, their audience, etc. And it seems
> somewhat difficult to determine where to find the code for the different
> forks. Most likely I’m just not paying attention….
>
> I do have a pi 4 but probably not the one with the wall wart fix. Is Mr.
> Miller’s code all in one place? Where is it publicly available?
>
> Is there some repository for add-on file systems ala 9P2000 in one place.
> If not the actual code, perhaps pointers to the actual repositories.
>
> Sorry if it appears that I’m not digging in to find this information
> myself, but I can’t seem to find the end of the string to pull…
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Lurker Mark

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on virtual machine in Mac os
                         ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-03-25 21:30       ` Nicolas S. Montanaro
From: Nicolas S. Montanaro @ 2020-03-25 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

VMware works excellently with 9front on macOS. No quirks - just install as usual.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on virtual machine in Mac os
@ 2020-03-25 21:35         ` Mark Everett
From: Mark Everett @ 2020-03-25 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks to all. I appreciate your support. And its nice to find a forum where everyone isn’t harassing…..

— Mark

@ 2020-03-25 21:43           ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2020-03-25 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Harassing part costs extra :)

@ 2020-03-25 22:17             ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2020-03-25 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: g_patrickb via 9fans

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020, at 8:11 PM, Brian L. Stuart wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 02:02:40 PM EDT, Ethan Gardener <eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > i still miss 9vx. it was so convenient when it
> > worked. fun too; i had it full-screened in a little
>
> Was? I still use it everyday. It's my primary
> terminal. I have it take the root from my file
> server when I'm on my home network, and
> off a little local mini root when I'm not.

it doesn't work on 64-bit only linux or freebsd, and it can't work at all on windows due to some page size issue, so i haven't had an os to run it on for many years. that might not be quite true, i probably had multilib linux at some points, but i didn't need it when i ran plan 9 native on my laptops. i have ergonomic issues which are getting worse with age, and so i stopped using laptops.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on virtual machine in Mac os
@ 2020-03-25 22:21         ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2020-03-25 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: g_patrickb via 9fans

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020, at 9:30 PM, Nicolas S. Montanaro wrote:
> VMware works excellently with 9front on macOS. No quirks - just install
> as usual.

9vx doesn't even require installation as such, which is nice but doesn't matter so much in the long term. (but i did have trouble getting vmware itself installed in windows 7 a couple of years ago.) how is network setup in vmware?

* Re: plan9port fossil
@ 2020-04-01 23:52 ` cigar562hfsp952fans
From: cigar562hfsp952fans @ 2020-04-01 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

kim.lassila@gmail.com writes:

> Does anyone run fossil from plan9port? Is it stable? I am thinking of
> setting up a fossil + venti fileserver on Linux that Plan 9 terminals
> and cpu servers can connect to.

I don't think that plan9port includes a port of fossil.  If anyone knows
of one (a patch, a fork, or whatever), please advise.

* Re: [9fans] Re: plan9port fossil
@ 2020-04-02  0:59   ` Jeremy Jackins
From: Jeremy Jackins @ 2020-04-02  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It's not a patch or a fork, 0intro contributed it about 7 years ago:
https://github.com/9fans/plan9port/tree/master/src/cmd/fossil

I've used it and didn't run into any major issues. I recall attaching
the console to e.g. /dev/tty8 for administration.

@ 2020-04-02  1:23     ` Jeremy Jackins
From: Jeremy Jackins @ 2020-04-02  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I hacked it a bit to make it work for me. I don't remember if there
was a problem with the normal setup or if I just wanted different
ergonomics.

https://gist.github.com/jnjackins/7228a9b2f3b2896cb379734605a34257

@ 2020-04-02 12:09     ` Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen @ 2020-04-02 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am curious about the problems you have with your Linux Mint. I have been
running a relatively large (6 TB max) venti on an old Toshiba laptop with
Intel core 2 processor running Bunsenlabs (Debian) the last couple of
years. It was migrated from a 2 TB venti running on an old Pentium 4 box
with 1 GB running Crunchbang (Debian), when that one ran out of space. Both
installations have been used for backup of various other systems, including
my Linux Mint laptop, my Linux file server, and a 9front installation, and
I have experienced no problems at all with respect to throughput. I have a
fairly sub-optimal config with everything on a single disk:

index sdc-6tb
arenas /dev/sdc1
isect /dev/sdc2
bloom /dev/sdc3
mem 100M
bcmem 200M
icmem 400M

What kind of write speed are you seeing?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 1:34 PM Lucio De Re <lucio.dere@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/18/20, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com> wrote:
> [ ...]
> >
> > I've had a lot of luck using venti from plan9port with fossil running
> > natively on my plan9 fileserver. I keep a directory on sources (now
> > 9p.io) with some notes and example scripts on how to make this work:
> > http://9p.io/sources/contrib/stallion/venti/. The biggest benefit to
> > this configuration is it makes offsite backups a breeze from the Linux
> > host.
> >
> Nice stuff, Steven. I found my small Linuxmint workstation not up to
> the task, the worst symptom being that shutting venti down takes a
> very long time, tens of minutes, I think. It didn't matter when the
> host was on all the time, but of late power blackouts have made that
> untenable.
>
> What I wish to contribute here is that using an external drive and
> configuring it as a raw image allows it to be used (I presume even
> shared) between Venti hosts. My most recent (and pretty old)
> configuration is this:
>
> $ cat sdb.conf
> index   main
>
> isect   /dev/sdb3:0k-20774910k
> arenas  /dev/sdb3:20774911k-418906111k
> bloom   /dev/sdb3:418906112k-419430400k
>
> mem     80m
> bcmem   160m
> icmem   256m
>
> addr    tcp!*!venti
> httpaddr        tcp!*!8008
>
> Sadly, there is at least one damaged block and I did not have the
> foresight to set the drive up as a mirror or better.  It is not
> critical, but that would be helpful.
>
> The equally low priority problem I mentioned in the past: vacfs on p9p
> truncates all large files on reading. Cinap suggested checking for
> mixed-size pointer/integer types, but that becomes a mission. Still,
> it is worth doing.
>
> The native version of vacfs works flawlessly and mounts quite
> successfully under p9p.
>
> Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] plan9port fossil
@ 2020-04-02 13:37       ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2020-04-02 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen

On 4/2/20, Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen <ole.hjalmar.kristensen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am curious about the problems you have with your Linux Mint.

I presume this is in response to my own:

"Nice stuff, Steven. I found my small Linuxmint workstation not up to
the task, the worst symptom being that shutting venti down takes a
very long time, tens of minutes, I think. It didn't matter when the
host was on all the time, but of late power blackouts have made that
untenable."

Earlier in the thread?

I didn't really have a problem with throughput, it was always an issue
of shutdown delay. Unfortunately, by the time the stall occurs, it is
impossible to establish what is happening. The only clue is that if
venti is not started, then the shutdown delay does not happen.

I have too many chestnuts in the fire to fathom this problem out, plus
I have what is probably just being a spoilt (and aged) brat attitude.
There is always either something nicer to do or an excuse not to do
something I don't feel motivated to do. In other words, my apologies,
but your curiosity will not be satisfied soon unless by accident. I'm
truly sorry.

I will from time to time give Venti some attention and I will monitor
this and all other Plan 9 discussions. If anything catches my
attention, I will follow it up and will report anything I discover.

I'm also happy to get involved in private as well as public
discussions. Just this particular oddity of Venti (or something
related to Venti) isn't my cup of tea.

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] plan9port fossil
@ 2020-04-04 13:45       ` Kim Lassila