* [9fans] Raspberry Pi userland is now open
@ 2012-10-24 16:25 Scott Elcomb
From: Scott Elcomb @ 2012-10-24 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,

For those working on Plan9 for the Pi, userland is now completely open
source: <http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2221>

I need more Pi =D

Best regards,
--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more

  Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems
  http://code.google.com/p/atomos/

  Member of the Pirate Party of Canada
  http://www.pirateparty.ca/

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi userland is now open
@ 2012-10-24 17:54 ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2012-10-24 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good !

--
С наилучшими пожеланиями
Жилкин Сергей

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi userland is now open
@ 2012-10-24 18:03 ` sl
From: sl @ 2012-10-24 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2012-10-24 18:52   ` Nicolas Bercher
From: Nicolas Bercher @ 2012-10-24 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Le 24/10/2012 20:03, sl@9front.org a écrit :
>> From: Theo de Raadt<deraadt@cvs.openbsd.org>
>> Sender: owner-misc@openbsd.org
>>
>>> http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2221
>>
>> Well, they are lying to everyone.
>>
>> Their "open source" is nothing but a layer of code which calls into a
>> closed source back-end.

Do you mean there's a firmware or some binary blob that is still closed?

Nicolas

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi userland is now open
@ 2012-10-24 20:49     ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2012-10-24 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

term% theo
Come on.. stop making assumptions.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi userland is now open
@ 2012-10-24 21:05       ` BS
From: BS @ 2012-10-24 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

its true, if you read the forum fully...

@ 2012-10-25  8:05         ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2012-10-25  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In practical terms this doesn't make a lot of difference for Plan 9 as it is now.  Dev/draw makes use
of only a few simple 2d operations for "accelerated" graphics, and the dma engine on the raspberry pi
SoC provides a 2d memory-to-memory mode which should be sufficient to do these on the ARM side.

But if anyone is ambitious enough to do something more high level - Plan 9 movie player? - it should
be useful to be able to see the API used between the linux high level graphics libraries and
the GPU firmware, instead of having to reverse engineer the protocol on the wire.  Now we get
to reverse engineer the linux library source instead.  (In my experience linux software can be
so convoluted that this may not be an improvement, but maybe in this case we'll be lucky.)

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi userland is now open
@ 2012-10-25  9:07           ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2012-10-25  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs