* Re: [9fans] USB mouse doesn't like being unplugged
@ 2009-03-01 13:34 Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-03-01 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Usb code does not handle hot plugging.

If you happen to have uhci I can help u off list.

@ 2009-03-01 23:50   ` John Barham
From: John Barham @ 2009-03-01 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 10:20 AM,  <cinap_lenrek@gmx.de> wrote:
> in case you want to use 2 monitors and only switch for keyboard/mouse
> input you can use the synergy client [1] for plan9.  (expecting you are
> using window/unix on the other machine)
>
> [1] /n/sources/contrib/cinap_lenrek/synergy.tgz

Cinap's synergy client is working very well for me where I run the
Synergy server on Windows (although I do keep a PS/2 keyboard plugged
into my Plan 9 machine to specify the install location and username at
boot time).  Even copy/snarf and paste works between machines which is
a nice trick.

The only fiddly bit is configuring the Synergy server on Windows where
there is a bit of redundancy.  See the attached screenshots.  AMD is
my Windows machine, everex is my Plan 9 box.

The synergy server (for Unix, Windows and OS X) can be found at
http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/.

  John

[-- Attachment #2: synergy2.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 10016 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: synergy1.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 9985 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] USB mouse doesn't like being unplugged
@ 2009-03-01 18:20 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2009-03-01 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

had a kvm switch once and it sucked even for just ps2.  now i find it
rare for the need to access the real keyboard/mouse of a machine.
expecialy in the case of plan9 where you can use drawterm or vnc.

in case you want to use 2 monitors and only switch for keyboard/mouse
input you can use the synergy client [1] for plan9.  (expecting you are
using window/unix on the other machine)

[1] /n/sources/contrib/cinap_lenrek/synergy.tgz

--
cinap

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3466 bytes --]

From: Matt Adams <madams@phantomware.ca>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: [9fans] USB mouse doesn't like being unplugged
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 08:23:55 -0500

@ 2009-03-01 18:03     ` Matt Adams
From: Matt Adams @ 2009-03-01 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom writes:

 > you can kill off usb/usbd and usb/kb and restart
 > them and that usually works.

Oddly enough the keyboard seems to work after the switch (most of the
time) but the mouse never does.  Use of usb/kb -k and usb/usbmouse
(and successive restarts of usb/usbmouse) seems to do the trick most
of the time but it is ungainly to say the least.

Would you be willing to provide an example of a script that I could
start from profile (or whatever is reasonable) - something that would
check for a stuck usb device and restart the appropriate components?
I would give this a shot myself but I am newbie enough that I think it
would take me a long time to get to that point.

In any case, thanks for your assistance -

Matt
--

@ 2009-03-01 17:47   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-03-01 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

!/bin/upas/marshal -s 'Re: [9fans] USB mouse doesn''t like being unplugged' -R /mail/fs/mbox/65 9fans@9fans.net
> Also, since I'm a newbie it just occured to me that if it isn't easy
> to make usb/kb live with the mouse going away & coming back that it
> might just be possible to unload & load usb/kb when I need it -

you can kill off usb/usbd and usb/kb and restart
them and that usually works.  i got usb/kb sort-of
reliable for replugging with intel usb.  but i couldn't
sign up for supporting that configuration.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] USB mouse doesn't like being unplugged
@ 2009-03-01 13:39 ` Matt Adams
From: Matt Adams @ 2009-03-01 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Matt Adams writes:

 > Does anyone know how if it is possible to make the mouse portion of
 > usb/kb somewhat more resiliant to disappearing/reappearing?  I would
 > have hoped that this were possible seeing as how it's USB.

Also, since I'm a newbie it just occured to me that if it isn't easy
to make usb/kb live with the mouse going away & coming back that it
might just be possible to unload & load usb/kb when I need it -

Actually, this would be a pain in the butt since I'd have to revert to
my PS/2 keyboard but that may be better then having to restart the
machine when I want to get my mouse back :-)

--

@ 2009-03-01 13:23 Matt Adams