* [9fans] 9pcf + devfs
@ 2003-10-14 16:43 mirtchov
From: mirtchov @ 2003-10-14 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is the pcf kernel at all compatible with booting from /dev/fs?  I
can't find any script associated with it that I can edit and put my
devfs configuration in...

Any pointers?  Or should I just stick with the 'pcfl' kernels?

* Re: [9fans] 9pcf + devfs
@ 2003-10-15  7:14 ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-10-15  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You'd need to edit the boot script (/sys/lib/sysconfig/fl/boot if I remember well)
to setup your fs dev before starting fossil. Take a look at the bootdir section
of the config file, where your boot script is mentioned. We use something like this:

#!/boot/rc -m /boot/rcmain
cpuserver=yes
echo mirror once /dev/sdC0/once /dev/sdD0/once >/dev/fs/ctl
echo mirror fossil /dev/sdC0/fossil /dev/sdD0/fossil >/dev/fs/ctl
echo mirror other /dev/sdC0/other /dev/sdD0/other >/dev/fs/ctl
echo mirror other1 /dev/sdD0/other1 /dev/sdC0/other1 >/dev/fs/ctl
venti -w -c /env/venticonf -a tcp!127.1!17034  &
sleep 10
venti=tcp!127.1!17034
fossil -c '. /env/fossilconf'

Where both fossilconf and venticonf refer to /dev/fs/{once,fossil,other,other1}.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1772 bytes --]

From: mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] 9pcf + devfs
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:43:48 -0600

@ 2003-10-15  7:23   ` mirtchov
From: mirtchov @ 2003-10-15  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You'd need to edit the boot script (/sys/lib/sysconfig/fl/boot if I remember well)
> to setup your fs dev before starting fossil. Take a look at the bootdir section
> of the config file, where your boot script is mentioned.

that's the default for pcfl kernels, but not for pcf -- as far as I
could tell there's no script specified in the pcf configuration file.

I have pcfl running fine (thanx to your suggestions a few months ago
regarding devfs), and have booted 9pcf in a single-disk environment.
My question was prompted by my inability to find any configuration
file or a script in which to specify that a particular 9pcf kernel
should boot using devfs (#k).

andrey

ps: by the way, /sys/lib/sysconfig/fl/ has been empty for some time
now, the files it contained disappeared on the 18th of September,
according to my venti...

* Re: [9fans] 9pcf + devfs
@ 2003-10-15  7:43     ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-10-15  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think I included code in devfs to let it read the config
from somewhere in a disk, but just don't remember what
happen to that.

If there's no boot script it's likely you just can't config fs
prior to starting fossil.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2481 bytes --]

From: mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] 9pcf + devfs
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 01:23:03 -0600

@ 2003-10-15 14:18     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-10-15 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have pcfl running fine (thanx to your suggestions a few months ago
> regarding devfs), and have booted 9pcf in a single-disk environment.
> My question was prompted by my inability to find any configuration
> file or a script in which to specify that a particular 9pcf kernel
> should boot using devfs (#k).

there's a way to initialize #k from a disk sector explaining
the layout.  the man page says how.  if you do that (and add #k
to the pcf kernel) then you don't need pcfl and its boot script.

> ps: by the way, /sys/lib/sysconfig/fl/ has been empty for some time
> now, the files it contained disappeared on the 18th of September,
> according to my venti...

that's because you're supposed to use 9pcf.

the boot script stuff is great for trying new
things, but for actually doing things where
you pull in sensible defaults and the like,
the c code in /sys/src/9/boot seems to do a
better job.  once i had figured out how a fossil
kernel should be booted (using the boot script
as a flexible prototype) i put the logic into
boot.

russ