* RE: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
@ 2002-06-26  9:09 Stephen Parker
From: Stephen Parker @ 2002-06-26  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '9fans@cse.psu.edu'

that makes sense.  i do press the central rocker to get access to
the bootloader command line.  i'll experiment tonight.

thanks for all the help,
stephen

--
Stephen Parker.  Pi Technology.  +44 (0)1223 203438.

* Re: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
@ 2002-06-27 22:55 ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2002-06-27 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Speaking of PDAs -- anybody porting or planning to port Plan9 to Zaurus
SL-5x00? (http://www.myzaurus.com)

It's arm based, runs linux and has a real keyboard

	Lucho

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 06:38:16PM +0200, Axel Belinfante said:
> Since the first ipaq/bitsy support I heard of, new models have arrived...
> Which ones (series) are supported? upto/including H3800 series?
> I just saw there's also a H3900 series with a different processor
> (400 Mhz Intel PXA250) so I suppose that one is not.
>
> I'm currently sort-of deciding whether or not to buy one, and if I do,
> which one; if there are reasons to buy (or not buy) a particular model,
> I'm all ears (either here or via private mail).
>
> Thanks,
> Axel.

* RE: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
@ 2002-06-26  9:08 Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2002-06-26  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i mean the flash partition setup supported by the bootldr.
> from the bootldr command prompt i do
>
> "partition reset"
> "partition define params 0x40000 0x400000"
> "partition define kernel 0x80000 ...."
>
> etc.  "partition save" to save this (somewhere) in the param space.
>
> that works fine.  i can then do "boot kernel" to boot the kernel
> from the "kernel" flash sector.  if i reset and go back to the
> bootldr prompt the saved partition setup has gone.  i have to
> restore it to boot.

List the partitions after you're done (partition show).  Make sure the
bootldr doesn't have any conflicting partitions of its own.

(And you need `params save', not `partition save'.)

* RE: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
@ 2002-06-26  9:03 Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2002-06-26  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Sape Mullender @ 2002-06-26  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-26  7:35 Stephen Parker
From: Stephen Parker @ 2002-06-26  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '9fans@cse.psu.edu'

i mean the flash partition setup supported by the bootldr.
from the bootldr command prompt i do

"partition reset"
"partition define params 0x40000 0x400000"
"partition define kernel 0x80000 ...."

etc.  "partition save" to save this (somewhere) in the param space.

that works fine.  i can then do "boot kernel" to boot the kernel
from the "kernel" flash sector.  if i reset and go back to the
bootldr prompt the saved partition setup has gone.  i have to
restore it to boot.

i'll look further into it when i have time.

thanks,
stephen

--
Stephen Parker.  Pi Technology.  +44 (0)1223 203438.

* RE: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
@ 2002-06-26  7:29 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-06-26  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-26  7:28 Stephen Parker
From: Stephen Parker @ 2002-06-26  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '9fans@cse.psu.edu'

thanks to all that helped.  i now have a booting 9 kernel on
my ipaq with working paqfs.  i've still got some initialisation
stuff to sort out but it all looks fine.  i've had rio and
bitsy/keyboard running.  it feels much more comfortable than
linux (no real surprise).

one puzzler is that when i reset the ipaq i loose my partition
setup (it goes back to the default bootldr and root partitions).
the data in them looks fine i can simply reset the partition
table from the bootldr and it boots fine but it makes booting
standalone impossible.  i do "parameter save".  has anyone seen
this happen?

thanks,
stephen

--
Stephen Parker.  Pi Technology.  +44 (0)1223 203438.

* RE: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
@ 2002-06-25 16:46 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-06-25 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think I sent this before to 9fans, but
here's it again.

It's /sys/src/boot/arm/il.s.

Let me know if you have problems with it. I haven't
compiled it for so long...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2007 bytes --]

From: Stephen Parker <stephen.parker@pitechnology.com>
To: "'9fans@cse.psu.edu'" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: RE: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:56:25 +0100

that sounds plausible.  i'd like to try it.

stephen

--
Stephen Parker.  Pi Technology.  +44 (0)1223 203438.

The following attachment had content that we can't
prove to be harmless.  To avoid possible automatic
execution, we changed the content headers.
The original header was:

[-- Attachment #3.2: il.s.suspect --]

#include "mem.h"
/*
 *  Entered here from Compaq's bootldr.  First relocate to
 *  the location we're linked for and then copy back the
 *  decompressed kernel.
 *
 *  All
 */
TEXT _start(SB), $-4
	MOVW	$setR12(SB), R12		/* load the SB */
	MOVW	$1, R0		/* dance to make 5l think that the magic */
	MOVW	$1, R1		/* numbers in WORDs below are being used */
	CMP.S	R0, R1		/* and to align them to where bootldr wants */
	BEQ	_start2
	WORD	$0x016f2818	/* magic number to say we are a kernel */
	WORD	$0xc0008000	/* entry point address */
	WORD	$0		/* size?, or end of data? */

_start2:

	/* SVC mode, interrupts disabled */
	MOVW	$(PsrDirq|PsrDfiq|PsrMsvc), R1
	MOVW	R1, CPSR

	/* disable the MMU */
	MOVW	$0x130, R1
	MCR     CpMMU, 0, R1, C(CpControl), C(0x0)

	/* enable caches */
	MRC	CpMMU, 0, R0, C(CpControl), C(0x0)
	ORR	$(CpCdcache|CpCicache|CpCwb), R0
	MCR     CpMMU, 0, R0, C(CpControl), C(0x0)

	/* flush caches */
	MCR	CpMMU, 0, R0, C(CpCacheFlush), C(0x7), 0
	/* drain prefetch */
	MOVW	R0,R0
	MOVW	R0,R0
	MOVW	R0,R0
	MOVW	R0,R0

	/* drain write buffer */
	MCR	CpMMU, 0, R0, C(CpCacheFlush), C(0xa), 4

	/* relocate to where we expect to be */
	MOVW	$(512*1024),R3
	MOVW	$0xC0008000,R1
	MOVW	$0xC0200000,R2
	ADD	R1,R3
_relloop:
	MOVW	(R1),R0
	MOVW	R0,(R2)
	ADD	$4,R1
	ADD	$4,R2
	CMP.S	R1,R3
	BNE	_relloop

	MOVW	$(MACHADDR+BY2PG), R13		/* stack */
	SUB	$4, R13				/* link */

	/* jump to where we've been relocated */
	MOVW	$_relocated(SB),R15

TEXT _relocated(SB),$-4
	BL	main(SB)
	BL	exit(SB)
	/* we shouldn't get here */
_mainloop:
	B	_mainloop
	BL	_div(SB)			/* hack to get _div etc loaded */

TEXT mypc(SB),$-4
	MOVW	R14,R0
	RET

TEXT draincache(SB),$-4
	/* write back any dirty data */
	MOVW	$0xe0000000,R0
	ADD	$(8*1024),R0,R1
_cfloop:
	MOVW.P	32(R0),R2
	CMP.S	R0,R1
	BNE	_cfloop

	/* drain write buffer and invalidate i&d cache contents */
	MCR	CpMMU, 0, R0, C(CpCacheFlush), C(0xa), 4
	MCR	CpMMU, 0, R0, C(CpCacheFlush), C(0x7), 0

	/* drain prefetch */
	MOVW	R0,R0
	MOVW	R0,R0
	MOVW	R0,R0
	MOVW	R0,R0

	/* disable caches */
	MRC	CpMMU, 0, R0, C(CpControl), C(0x0)
	BIC	$(CpCdcache|CpCicache|CpCwb), R0

@ 2002-06-25 16:39 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-06-25 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, AFAIK, they're 3600 series, both 32M and 64M.
Mine is exactly a 3630.

I'm using daily  the backpack with wavelan and a toshiba 2G pcmcia disk.
Didn't try any other extension.

For the keyboard, I use the craddle and type through a con window.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3029 bytes --]

From: Axel Belinfante <Axel.Belinfante@cs.utwente.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:10:42 +0200

Just to be sure after presotto's, sape's and nemo's replies:
am I right assuming that all bitsy's running plan9 are in the H3600 series?
(at least the bell labs ones are, but does this also hold for the others?)

Hmm... would a H3630 (32Mb ram, 16Mb rom) be useable to play with plan9?
(found some H3630's offered second hand here in nl)

Have people been playing with 'extensions', other than the pc-card sleeve?
(like keyboards or so)

Sorry (a bit, at least :-) to keep bothering you, but better safe than sorry,
Axel.

* Re: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
@ 2002-06-25 16:10 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-06-25 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-25 15:56 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-06-25 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> this is all with an early 4th edition setup.  have things
> changed much since then?

The earliest release or two of the 4th edition had some pieces
missing.  I assume you've got all the pieces now or you would
be aware of what's missing.  You mention the system can't
find /bin/rc; do you know it's actually present?

I'm not an ipaq expert, just responding to the explicit question
about what's changed.

Aha - sape's response just arrived.

-rob

* RE: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
@ 2002-06-25 15:56 Stephen Parker
From: Stephen Parker @ 2002-06-25 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '9fans@cse.psu.edu'

that sounds plausible.  i'd like to try it.

stephen

--
Stephen Parker.  Pi Technology.  +44 (0)1223 203438.

* RE: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
@ 2002-06-25 15:54 Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2002-06-25 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> the thing that bothers me most is that the paqdisk doesn't seem
> to be acceptable to my local (386 binary) paqfs.  when i run
> paqfs i get the fingerprint printed out ok but as soon as
> i try to access anything other than the root of /n/paq the
> process breaks.  i've some changes to paqfs
> from nemo@plan9.escet.urjc.es that i'll try tonight.  the
> arm binaries are in place and mkfs seems happy (it does
> grumble about a few things but nothing that looks like it
> should prevent booting).

Ah, I've seen that.  It's a bug in paqfs.  Pick up a new copy and that
particular problem will go away.

	Sape

* RE: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
@ 2002-06-25 15:53 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-06-25 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-25 15:51 Stephen Parker
From: Stephen Parker @ 2002-06-25 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '9fans@cse.psu.edu'

> One change I discovered is that the Linux boot loader for the bitsy
> now recognizes more than one boot format.  If you create the
> partitions and load a kernel and paqdisk, you should give the
> command `boot flash' to boot Plan 9.

i've tried this.  i seem to recall that i got an "unreckognised
magic number in kernel" type of message.  certainly looking
through the boot loader code it looks as if its looking for
stuff in the kernel image that's not there in the 9 kernel.
i guess i'll probably end up going back to an earlier bootloader
but i'm trying to avoid messing with the boot sector too
much (i wouldn't be surprised if we've got the jtag gear here
but i don't really want to have to try it).

> When the kernel starts up, the first thing it should print is a
> fingerprint of the paqdisk.  If that succeeds, the paqdisk format
> is correct.  If /bin/rc still can't be found, check that
> you've installed
> arm binaries before making a paqdisk.  `mk paqdisk' will take
> many files
> from /arm but will not install them there if they don't exist.
> However, mkfs will complain about missing files.

the thing that bothers me most is that the paqdisk doesn't seem
to be acceptable to my local (386 binary) paqfs.  when i run
paqfs i get the fingerprint printed out ok but as soon as
i try to access anything other than the root of /n/paq the
process breaks.  i've some changes to paqfs
from nemo@plan9.escet.urjc.es that i'll try tonight.  the
arm binaries are in place and mkfs seems happy (it does
grumble about a few things but nothing that looks like it
should prevent booting).

i'll do some further investigations and see what turns up.

thanks,
stephen
--

@ 2002-06-25 15:44 Stephen Parker
From: Stephen Parker @ 2002-06-25 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '9fans@cse.psu.edu'

i'm using the compaq bootldr.  its 2.18.45.

stephen

--
Stephen Parker.  Pi Technology.  +44 (0)1223 203438.

* RE: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
@ 2002-06-25  8:26 Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2002-06-25  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i've been trying to get plan9 working on an ipaq (well i spent
> some of last night doing it).  i had some successes and some
> failures.
>
> i can't get the latest bootldr to boot 9 from flash.  it looks
> to me like the boot formats must have changed.  i can boot a
> kernel from ram (using "load ram", "call 0xc....") and it runs
> but the kernel is in an unrecognised format if it tries to
> boot automatically.

One change I discovered is that the Linux boot loader for the bitsy
now recognizes more than one boot format.  If you create the
partitions and load a kernel and paqdisk, you should give the
command `boot flash' to boot Plan 9.

You can set the boot parameter to `flash'
	set boottype flash
if memory serves me (maybe it's boot_type) and
	save params
to make that permanent.

> it looks like the paqdisk that i've generated is broken.  the
> ipaq tries to boot off it but can't find /bin/rc.  if i
> mount the paqdisk locally (paqfs paqdisk) i get a broken
> process whenever i try to access anything other than the
> root directory).

When the kernel starts up, the first thing it should print is a
fingerprint of the paqdisk.  If that succeeds, the paqdisk format
is correct.  If /bin/rc still can't be found, check that you've installed
arm binaries before making a paqdisk.  `mk paqdisk' will take many files
from /arm but will not install them there if they don't exist.
However, mkfs will complain about missing files.

Let me know how you fare.

	Sape

* RE: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
@ 2002-06-25  8:03 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-06-25  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Which boot loader are you using?

PS: I think we could continue this w/ private mail, and
update the wiki in case we find some problem and the
way to handle it.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2888 bytes --]

From: Stephen Parker <stephen.parker@pitechnology.com>
To: "'9fans@cse.psu.edu'" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:59:07 +0100

i've been trying to get plan9 working on an ipaq (well i spent
some of last night doing it).  i had some successes and some
failures.

i can't get the latest bootldr to boot 9 from flash.  it looks
to me like the boot formats must have changed.  i can boot a
kernel from ram (using "load ram", "call 0xc....") and it runs
but the kernel is in an unrecognised format if it tries to
boot automatically.

it looks like the paqdisk that i've generated is broken.  the
ipaq tries to boot off it but can't find /bin/rc.  if i
mount the paqdisk locally (paqfs paqdisk) i get a broken
process whenever i try to access anything other than the
root directory).

this is all with an early 4th edition setup.  have things
changed much since then?  any suggestions on how to deal
with either of these problems?

thanks,
stephen

--
Stephen Parker.  Pi Technology.  +44 (0)1223 203438.

* RE: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
@ 2002-06-25  7:59 Stephen Parker
From: Stephen Parker @ 2002-06-25  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '9fans@cse.psu.edu'

@ 2002-06-25  7:45 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-06-25  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I suposse we'll now as soon as any of the 9bitsies are renewed.
But in any case, since the boot loader boots linux, I think
you could try and use linux otherwise. It's just that I'd also like
to know if Plan 9 runs there too, sorry, :-)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1636 bytes --]

From: Sape Mullender <sape@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 15:00:16 -0400

> Since the first ipaq/bitsy support I heard of, new models have arrived...
> Which ones (series) are supported? upto/including H3800 series?
> I just saw there's also a H3900 series with a different processor
> (400 Mhz Intel PXA250) so I suppose that one is not.

At the labs we've only had a number of bitsies from the first series, so
we have no idea whether Plan 9 will run on the latest models.

	Sape

* Re: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
@ 2002-06-24 19:00 Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2002-06-24 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-24 16:42 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-06-24 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We haven't bought a new ipaq since our original H3600.  No idea
what it would take to support the new ones.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2854 bytes --]

From: Axel Belinfante <Axel.Belinfante@cs.utwente.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] supported ipaq's?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 18:38:16 +0200

Since the first ipaq/bitsy support I heard of, new models have arrived...
Which ones (series) are supported? upto/including H3800 series?
I just saw there's also a H3900 series with a different processor
(400 Mhz Intel PXA250) so I suppose that one is not.

I'm currently sort-of deciding whether or not to buy one, and if I do,
which one; if there are reasons to buy (or not buy) a particular model,
I'm all ears (either here or via private mail).

Thanks,
Axel.

* [9fans] supported ipaq's?
@ 2002-06-24 16:38 Axel Belinfante